djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude

Re: Getting 305/65

Google should be about ~1-2 ms vs. 30 - 40. It does make a noticeable difference.

DOCSIS latency is usually less than 10ms. If your route to Google is going from 40 to 1ms, there's more going on than just your last mile fiber.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 edit

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

Google should be about ~1-2 ms vs. 30 - 40. It does make a noticeable difference.

DOCSIS latency is usually less than 10ms. If your route to Google is going from 40 to 1ms, there's more going on than just your last mile fiber.

I get about 8-13 ms during off-peak hours. Peak hours it jumps, along with the addition of packet loss. Obviously this is dependent on the congestion of your local node. Should be a moot point come Friday
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

28619103 (banned) to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

Latency is "mostly" impacted by speed of light and which Google server Google chooses to direct you to via their authoritative DNS servers answering www.google.com, www.youtube.com, etc.

If Google wants to serve youtube videos to DC from Seattle, your latency will be high. If they choose to use a closer server in VA your latency will be lower. They may balance their server load at the expense of network latency.

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by 28619103:

If they choose to use a closer server in VA your latency will be lower. They may balance their server load at the expense of network latency.

Yup! Was just using Google's IAD cache as an example.

Better example - default gateway

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

DOCSIS latency is usually less than 10ms.

That can depend on which flavor of TDMA is being used for the return.

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

bradyr

Premium Member

Does your distance from the node (coax cable length) negatively affect the latency, or is it a minuscule difference? (like being on the first tap off of the node, as opposed to being nearly a mile [cable length] from the node)?
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919

said by bradyr:

Does your distance from the node (coax cable length) negatively affect the latency, or is it a minuscule difference? (like being on the first tap off of the node, as opposed to being nearly a mile [cable length] from the node)?

Maybe that the mircosecond level, but minuscule as you said. But hell i read posts that some day trader types will pay extra to have their racks closer to the meet me rooms and such to have a shorter ethernet connection.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

Maybe that the mircosecond level, but minuscule as you said. But hell i read posts that some day trader types will pay extra to have their racks closer to the meet me rooms and such to have a shorter ethernet connection.
I work for a futures and options exchange and believe me, we count in the nanoseconds. There are, in fact, traders and firms that will spend crazy amounts of money to be co-located with other traders and firms. In those co-lo facilities, we run cable to the centimeter to ensure all firms have equal cable runs from their equipment to ours and ensure they experience the exact same latency as others to our trading platforms. It's insane.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Wouldn't it just all wash out at the switch level anyway? That's nuts. Is there some central authority running the whole thing, or is it just connecting with other firms? If there's a central authority, then wouldn't it be best to artificially adjust everyone's ping to like 2000ms so that everyone has a fair shot, even if their internet connection has a 1400ms ping?
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

High Frequency Trading (HFT) is a multi-billion dollar industry. Our markets move at what we call "near real time" and need to do just that.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

Wouldn't it just all wash out at the switch level anyway? That's nuts. Is there some central authority running the whole thing, or is it just connecting with other firms? If there's a central authority, then wouldn't it be best to artificially adjust everyone's ping to like 2000ms so that everyone has a fair shot, even if their internet connection has a 1400ms ping?

They don't want it to be fair, they want it to be better for themselves.
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

28619103 (banned) to mario02423

to mario02423
said by mario02423:

High Frequency Trading (HFT) is a multi-billion dollar industry. Our markets move at what we call "near real time" and need to do just that.

Here's an interesting read to show how true that statement really is

»www.forbes.com/forbes/20 ··· war.html
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
So there's no central authority to even it out then?
mario02423
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

said by BiggA:

central authority

In terms of speeds? No. It's every man for himself.
xech
join:2012-11-22

xech

Is this 305mbps available for Miami Customers?

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by xech:

Is this 305mbps available for Miami Customers?

I think it's only available to customers located in their NE division. As this is their answer to FiOS.

I would recommend posting in the Comcast Direct forum and having ComcastSteve have someone give you a callback.