grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
join:2001-10-10
Fremont, CA

1 edit
reply to TheAnalyzer

Re: Recomendation for an external flash

also, if it's the harshness of the onboard flash that you have an issue with, try getting a built-in flash diffuser (never used one though)

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?···diffuser

i just tried this simple test.

1) take picture of yourself with built-in flash. flash will produce harsh contrast

2) take picture of yourself with built-in flash w/ folded sheet of paper in front of flash. the picture should be less "harsh" due to more diffused nature of the flash. If this is what you're looking for, getting one of the flash diffusers might be just enough.

or this light scoop for bouncing the onboard flash.

»www.amazon.com/Professor-Kobres-···_sim_p_3

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20
I will try your test but I am concerned that the build in flash is just too weak to be diffused or bounced.

I am considering the SB400 too, but is it really better than the on-board flash?

Do you have any experience with the SB400?

Thanks!

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium
join:2001-10-10
Fremont, CA
said by TheAnalyzer:

I am considering the SB400 too, but is it really better than the on-board flash?

Do you have any experience with the SB400?

Thanks!

TA

I don't have personal experience but my brother uses it all the time with his Nikon D40. For indoor shots with normal ceilings, it does a great job. For the cost, it does 80-90% of the photos that a more powerful SB-600/700 could do. Question is if the extra 10-20% of the photos where a more powerful/flexible flash is worth the extra $230.