uniqs
share rss forum feed

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to jh20001

Re: [NV] Cox speed vs competition vs cost (Cox is slow)

It was once explained to me that DOCSIS 3.0 upstream had not lived up to its stated theoretical potential due to the unrealistic idealistic testing and standard setting at CableLabs. At the recent Cable Show, Motorola and Cisco both gave sobering presentations indicating they had given up trying to make D3 upstream work to its stated potential. The real world physical plant environments were much worse than CableLabs had tested for. The presentations basically were a prelude to the need for DOCSIS 3.1 or an even more radical DOCSIS 4.0. The other option is for HFC to be replaced by FTTH or FTTP. The HFC systems were never designed or built to do what they are being asked to do in upstream. Transitioning to an all digital cable operation has been costly for cable system operators. The analog mandate only recently expired and the final transition to all digital is going to take a few more years. The take rate for the 50/5 tier does not seem to be high enough for Cox to significantly offer the 50/10, 105/10, and 105/20 levels offered by Comcast. Cox's insistence on offering the "Starter" and "Essential" speed tiers for the prices they do is the result of little real competition in most of the markets they serve. In my area, if AT&T had utilized VDSL the way they should have, Cox would not be offering such limited tiers for such high prices.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

speed upgrades for the las vegas valley are coming soon its that time of year that they usually do it

i have no idea the exact date however it must me soon

kboxvegas

@cox.net

Yeah but it is also usually coupled with a price increase across multiple services

Just over three years ago I decided to get ahead of the game by swapping out my four HD/DVR boxes and digital cable outlets by going with two cable cards with Ceton tuners in a WMC center enviroment. I dropped my bill by $45 a month but now with no changes to my service Cox has crept the bill back up to where it used to be before I made the equipment cut by yearly price increases. There is no winning with this greedy company, Vegas needs a FTTH co-op badly.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

fiber to the home would be amazing but with the advancements in docsis 3.1 coming in the next few years i would not expect to see any fiber to the home unless century link got bought out

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by bryant313:

fiber to the home would be amazing but with the advancements in docsis 3.1 coming in the next few years i would not expect to see any fiber to the home unless century link got bought out

if you're in a centurystink area, DON'T look for better speeds. be happy with what cox is giving you.
--
Despises any post with strings.