Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Time for a new TV.. Need advice.

I am looking to get a new TV.

I will be replacing a 32" Sony flat screen trinitron tube set.

I don't even know what size set I should be looking at. My current set seems to be the right size, but I've heard with the 16x9 sets you want something bigger for the same size room.

I also don't know if I should go for plasma, LCD, LED-LCD, and which is best for the types of TV you watch.

I don't really need a "smart TV" as of now, I use my roku box for everything along those lines.

The only other thing on my mind, is the number of inputs on the TV, and the type. I'd need at least 3 HDMI.

The most important things to consider, is viewing angle. I don't know if plasma has the same limitations as the others, but a wide viewing angle is pretty important. My chair is right in front of the set, but guests are not.

I do watch sports, so a fast update rate is also important.

As a last bit of question, how different is performance in LCD TVs do you see between the 60, 120 and now I've seen 240hz refresh/update speeds.

I've spent a lot of time on the cnet site, looking at all the different reviews and prices, and such. There seems to be a huge range on price.

One last note, I am not interested in a set that is only 720p.

3D is also not important.

I have no plans to use an external sound system either, so the built-in speakers need to be good.

That should just about sum it up.

Any advice, info, etc is welcome.

Thanks.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

I lke the Samsung TVs. I would also urge you to buy an inexpensive soundbar, there are lots of offers at really low prices($50+). They make a huge diffference as no TV uses decent speakers.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to gatorkram

32" old fashioned tube = 37" HDTV. As far as height of the screen goes.

120 Hz is better for fast motion like sports, 240 Hz is a waste.

plasmas generally have better contrast and are typically are cheaper. They tend to have more glare than LCDs and LED-LCDs. The benefit of better contrast is not that noticeable unless you are watching TV in total darkness most of the time. If you have lights on in your room that that will be an issue with plasma. LED-LCD comes close in contrast and obviously have the benefit of being very thin and light and less glare. They are the more expensive of the 3.

Just make sure to avoid the cheapo brands like Emerson, Coby. Apex, Hannspree, Element etc pretty much any brand you've never heard of before. Also avoid Phillips.

You might have to go with a 42 inch to get 1080p with 120 Hz.

depends on what your budget is.

I'd also add plasma don't use 60 Hz, 120 Hz, 240 Hz. you might see some that say 600 Hz. That means nothing when it comes to plasmas. Just marketing gobblygook. Also ignore contrast ratios on TVs. There's no standard and each company has different way of measuring it so the number means nothing.

Also don't be connected into paying $30 for HDMI cables. If you're paying more than $10 for a 6 foot cable you're getting ripped off. Even $10 is high but it's hard to find them cheaper than that in store.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to gatorkram

Plasmas cost slightly more per annum to run than LED/LCD as they consume more elecricity.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
reply to gatorkram

Thanks for the posts so far.

I have been leaning towards a 40ish led-lcd at this point.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

1 edit
reply to gatorkram

They don't make it anymore but I use the 2009 model Magnavox 47MF439B. Bought it at Target for $800 when it first hit the market. It has support for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD video format's. »www.hdtvreview.com/Magnavox-47MF···dtv.html It works great with my Philips Blu-ray disc player.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to gatorkram

When I bought mine I had the salesman set up two side by side with one 42" on 720 and the other 42" on 1080. There was no visible difference but the price. You will have to go larger than 42" to get any benefit from 1080.

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to gatorkram

A few things to consider:

Even if you buy a 1080p tv, you probably won't be seeing a 1080p picture unless you are watching a blu-ray DVD or satellite pay-per-view.

ABC-FOX broadcast in 720p only...CBS-PBS-NBC broadcast in 1080i only..that's just the way it is. There generally isn't enough bandwidth available to accommodate true 1080p.

I wouldn't be so quick to diss a 720p tv especially in a 40 inch or smaller...you might not be able to see a difference compared to a 1080p.

The above is based only on my personal experience and observations. If you think the info is incorrect then please tell me what you think and why.

I have 2 2010 Samsung LCDs and they are both great (a 46 1080p and a 32 720p). I happened to be looking at TVs yesterday and didn't see any LCD for sale...they were all LED-LCD and a few plasma. If I was buying another tv tomorrow I would consider another Samsung first but would also consider LG-Vizio based on what I saw yesterday. HTH.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

They don't make it anymore but I use the 2009 model Magnavox 47MF439B. Bought it at Target for $800 when it first hit the market. It has support for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD video format's. »www.hdtvreview.com/Magnavox-47MF···dtv.html It works great with my Philips Blu-ray disc player.

Any HDTV will support Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to gatorkram

You can't go wrong with Samsung or LG.

What ever you do, dear lord, 8 pound baby jesus, don't buy it because of the "smart" features.

Those will be outdated and won't have updates in 18 months. You're better off identifiying what "smart" features you want and getting an external box.

The 120/240Hz thing was the first thing I turned off on my LED based LCD tv. Good thing too, cause it saved my ISF calibration guy a step since that's the first thing he turns off as well. Makes everything look like a cartoon.

While LCD sets are getting very good at deep, dark blacks, they're still not as capable as a plasma display (or even an old school CRT).

And, for the record, 1080p isn't a broadcast standard. You'll only see it on a closed network such as DirecTV or Dish or your cable company. But never OTA.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits
reply to gatorkram

CRT/Plasma: Best contrast ratio. Fastest refresh rate. Ideal for multiple sourced content at different resolutions, interlaced or progressive. Heavy.

LCD: cheaper to manufacture than crt/plasma. LED back-light weighs less than ccfl back-light but both still weigh less than crt/plasma. LCD uses a native resolution.

I guess if it's sports, you can't go wrong with anything 42" or bigger. For movies it has to be a CRT front projector, or plasma, 60" or bigger.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

The 120/240Hz thing was the first thing I turned off on my LED based LCD tv.

120Hz is really only good for watching Blu-ray movies which are 24fps. That way each movie frame is rendered by the TV 5 times. Otherwise at 60Hz the every other frame is rendered 2 or 3 times (2:3:2:3 etc) so it is not even. 240Hz is useless.

Using 120Hz to add frames to 60fps broadcast TV (either 60 progressive or 30 interlaced) just makes the video look cheap. It's best to just display the actual source video, not add something to it that's not there.
--

Premium
West Tenness

Actually 120 Hz is good for fast motion things like sports.

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI

How is it good for sports when they are only broadcast in 1080i30 or 720p60? They are not broadcast in 120fps so all that is happening is the TV's processor is creating extra frames between what is actually broadcast. I stand by my statement above that it is best to just display the actual source video, not add something to it.
--

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to gatorkram

I bought my Father a Samsung LED - LCD and a Roku. He is out in the sticks with an antenna for TV and DSL for the Roku.

He likes the Samsung picture quality and the remote/menu system.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to stet

said by stet:

said by ke4pym:

The 120/240Hz thing was the first thing I turned off on my LED based LCD tv.

120Hz is really only good for watching Blu-ray movies which are 24fps. That way each movie frame is rendered by the TV 5 times. Otherwise at 60Hz the every other frame is rendered 2 or 3 times (2:3:2:3 etc) so it is not even. 240Hz is useless.

Using 120Hz to add frames to 60fps broadcast TV (either 60 progressive or 30 interlaced) just makes the video look cheap. It's best to just display the actual source video, not add something to it that's not there.

Even better than this is to get a TV that can clock down to 24 so that it does not have to do any frame repeating.

My Panasonic plasma does this. When you play a properly encoded bluray, it sends a signal over the HDMI to the tv and the TV then matches the frame rate of the source. End result is a smoother film like picture.

This is one of the main benefits about the bluray format I find the most interesting.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

What ever you do, dear lord, 8 pound baby jesus, don't buy it because of the "smart" features.

Those will be outdated and won't have updates in 18 months. You're better off identifiying what "smart" features you want and getting an external box.

Looks like Samsung is working on making that a better proposition:

»www.slashgear.com/samsung-evolut···2262770/

As long as you will be happy with a 1080p TV for the next X years.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Premium
West Tenness
reply to stet

said by stet:

How is it good for sports when they are only broadcast in 1080i30 or 720p60? They are not broadcast in 120fps so all that is happening is the TV's processor is creating extra frames between what is actually broadcast. I stand by my statement above that it is best to just display the actual source video, not add something to it.

Try learning about things before dismissing them.

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI

said by 88615298:

Try learning about things before dismissing them.

I have, all that is going on with 120hz mode while watching sports is frame interpolation. No sports are broadcast at 120fps.
--

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

Those will be outdated and won't have updates in 18 months. You're better off identifiying what "smart" features you want and getting an external box...

We recently bought the Samsung LED 32" 1080p smart tv as a 2nd. set. Very satisfied with picture quality and the "smart features". Set up the wireless connection, updates are a breeze to install, no need for an external media server/streamer, and a built-by-me external antenna brings in the OTA channels that we want.

I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard, which overcomes any shortcomings of the Samsung remote.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

AZinOH

Swanton, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream

We've recently added a Samsung Blu-ray player with the "smart" apps to our 46 in Samsung LCD. To put it mildly...I am not impressed. As expected, there is a mix of free and paid apps. The free ones are supposed to work and the hope is that you'll get comfortable enough with the process that you'll want to sign up for the pay apps. I think Samsung missed the boat by not equipping the unit with an external antenna. As is, it frequently loses connection to the wireless network while other computers/phones in the same room keep plugging away. No wireless-no apps. However for the buyer who does want these apps, I heartily approve having them contained in a separate unit rather than being integrated directly into the tv. If as previously suggested these apps features become outdated, you can always get a new blu-ray player...but if they are directly integrated into the tv are you going to get a new one? Can what you have be updated? If the integrated apps go buggy-do they affect the other tv functions? I don't know these answers yet...does anyone?

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

I don't know which manufacturers equip their displays with external antennas. Do you?

You might want to run some diagnostics on your Samsung's wireless connection. If it has been doing this since day 1, then you may have a flaky chip.

Samsung updates its apps frequently (I also have a Samsung smartphone), so I'm not concerned about outdated apps. There is no way that an integrated app will impact the tv functions, "buggy" or not.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by ke4pym:

Looks like Samsung is working on making that a better proposition:

»www.slashgear.com/samsung-evolut···2262770/

As long as you will be happy with a 1080p TV for the next X years.

I hope to get 10-12 years out of my current sets. Got 10 out of my old, giant Pioneer Elite RPTV. Only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted the floor space back.

I will eat a *little* crow on this smarttv thing. Found out that the Plex client is available for the Samsung plasma I have. That thing rocks!

That TV is a year old now and updates have been slowing down considerably. Pretty much the same pattern as the 2 other Sammys I own.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to gatorkram

+1 on everything above - then I did the unexpected and just bought a TV because it was cheap. Samsung 450 Series at a local store. I didn't look at spec's - I just looked at the connectors and how thick(thin) it was and how cheap can I get it. About a 5min process. BTW, is it me or does 720p look much better than 1080i...? 1080i looks smeared.

The Samsung looks great and fits an exercise room perfectly.

...this is coming from the guy who spent 3months researching before dropping a bit on a Kuro Pro-141FD.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI

said by ImpldConsent:

BTW, is it me or does 720p look much better than 1080i...? 1080i looks smeared.

That's to be expected, you bought a 720p TV.
--

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by stet:

Agreed, it does accept 1080i/p signals but I did not expect it to display differently, but it does. I've never had a 720p before, they've all been 1080p. It's a mid-200.00 Samsung. I didn't look at anything other than HDMI-CHECK, THIN-CHECK, CHEAP-CHECK. Hung it, plugged it in... works. Thx
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

The de-interlacng isn't all that great then, apparently.

AZinOH

Swanton, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to stet

said by stet:

said by ImpldConsent:

BTW, is it me or does 720p look much better than 1080i...? 1080i looks smeared.

I don't have any problem with 1080i on my 720p Samsung LN32C350D1D (2 years old)...it looks just fine.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gatorkram

Here's a good link on refresh rates if the marketing mumbojumbo confuses you:

»www.techlicious.com/blog/beware-···v-specs/

Just because it says "120" or "240" on the box doesn't mean it is.

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to gatorkram

I like the like kind of cheap Panisonic Plasmas even in 720 (That is what i got a year or 2 ago) for the price you can get their base or close to base 42 or 50"s real cheap. They do sports just fine and are bright enough for me.