Search similar:

uniqs
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to hambone42

to hambone42

Re: Structured wiring questions for new (old) home

Well, it sounds like the RG-59 upgrade will be a long term project.

As for Cat-5e vs Cat-6, I would use your existing Cat-5e cable. And in the future, use more Cat-5e. If you mix Cat-levels, it is only as good as the weakest link (which in the case of Cat-5e, is pretty dang good). Gb LAN connections? You should be okay for awhile

I would consider building an awning of sorts for the board to keep any water leaks out of the way, but have it in an easier to access location for yourself.

Fishing walls? Good luck As mentioned, it can go a million different ways, and only 3 of them are easy and quick :P

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Well, if he goes cat5e, he should at least buy keystones and jacks for cat6. They cost the same anyway and perform a bit better.

That way, WHEN 10gbase-t becomes a consumer standard and his more distant jacks need an upgrade to cat6, he won't need to replace the jacks.

Cat5e should be able to take 10gbase-t but for shorter runs.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Well, if he goes cat5e, he should at least buy keystones and jacks for cat6. They cost the same anyway and perform a bit better.

That way, WHEN 10gbase-t becomes a consumer standard and his more distant jacks need an upgrade to cat6, he won't need to replace the jacks.

Cat5e should be able to take 10gbase-t but for shorter runs.

Issue with using 6 keystones with 5e cable is the standard 6 cable is a thicker gauge wire, which could lead to loose terminations when using other cable than 6.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to hambone42

Premium Member

to hambone42
said by hambone42:

I don't have any way of testing the existing RG-59 other than trying to jury-rig an OTA setup -- and that won't provide a useful test for the upper UHF frequencies. At the very least, though, I do need to trace the existing RG-59 runs and test for continuity. Can anyone recommend a device for that purpose? If all else fails, I guess I could use a 6V battery and a buzzer.

An alternative would be to put a terminator (with a barrel) on one end of a cable, and check the other with an ohm meter. The meter should read about 75 ohms. If the cable goes through a splitter, then you shouldn't read 75 ohms.

The battery might fry a splitter, unless you limit the current with a resistor.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to mitchell

MVM

to mitchell
said by mitchell:

You've had a lot of suggestions but many didnt address the Cat 5 vs. 6 or 6e issue.

Perhaps because there is no such thing as 6e ?
Currently available twisted pair cables are:
Cat 3 (or III), Cat 5, Cat 5E, Cat 6 or Cat 6A.

Both Cat 5E and Cat 6A are the result of adding more performance criteria (or tightening the limits) on previously released cable specifications (Cat 5 and Cat 6) in response to the needs of new high speed communication protocols. The enhanced version of Cat 6 is often mistakenly called Cat 6E (probably because of the experience with Cat 5 and Cat 5E).

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by leibold:

said by mitchell:

You've had a lot of suggestions but many didnt address the Cat 5 vs. 6 or 6e issue.

Perhaps because there is no such thing as 6e ?
Currently available twisted pair cables are:
Cat 3 (or III), Cat 5, Cat 5E, Cat 6 or Cat 6A.

Both Cat 5E and Cat 6A are the result of adding more performance criteria (or tightening the limits) on previously released cable specifications (Cat 5 and Cat 6) in response to the needs of new high speed communication protocols. The enhanced version of Cat 6 is often mistakenly called Cat 6E (probably because of the experience with Cat 5 and Cat 5E).

Also there is CAT 7. »www.frys.com/product/579 ··· _RSLT_PG

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Beezel:

Also there is CAT 7. »www.frys.com/product/579 ··· _RSLT_PG

Cat-7

The Monster snake oil salesmen are busy.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to hambone42

to hambone42
mmm that's good kool aid.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Beezel:

Also there is CAT 7.

The Monster snake oil salesmen are busy.

I didn't want to go there. You are correct that ISO/IEC 11801 did define Class F / Cat 7 and even Cat 7A already. However I don't think EIA/TIA is including Cat 7 yet. Cat 7 cable was intended for 10Gbps networking but requires special connectors (either GG45, ARJ45 or TERA) in order to meet the specification. As a result most vendors stick with Cat 6A and "RJ45" connectors which are sufficient for 10Gbps. Whether Cat 7 or Cat 7A will become popular with some future network protocol is yet to be determined.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

Beezel

Yea Cat 7 is still in it's infancy.

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA

hambone42

Premium Member

OK, I'm getting ready to pull cables. As I was looking around the basement yesterday, it occurred to me that it might be smarter to locate the backboard and cable terminations on an interior wall that's on the other side of the staircase leading to the basement. The only issue I can see with that location is that it's closer to the HVAC system. Other than being a slightly (physically and electrically) noisier environment, is there any reason not to consider this location? It would actually be a more centralized location than mounting to the outside basement foundation wall.

Thanks...

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Does not really matter too much where you locate it. The considerations revolve around how easy it is to pull cable and do you have enough room to locate everything and work once it is installed.

By way of example in our house the phone wiring terminates under the electric meter on east basement wall. That was a planned wiring closet when we built the house. LAN wiring, installed years later, terminates on top of the water heater in the middle of the basement in pretty cramp location. But that was the preferred location, near my basement office and minimized drilling holes in beams. We have a post and beam house, running cable can be a challenge.

Having a dedicated circuit is nice but unless you have some serious equipment typical home LAN does not draw much power. Ours is powered by the stair lighting, fire alarm circuit. All critical stuff you don't want to be off.

I'm a fan of plywood backboards rather then residential wiring cabinets: cheaper, more flexible, and give you plenty of room to add stuff. Once you have a LAN the equipment seems to multiply like rabbits, or least it did for me.

Enjoy you project.

/tom

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to hambone42

Premium Member

to hambone42
Just wanted to clear up some misconceptions regarding coax.

RG59 is coming to the end of its useful life. With newer digital equipment continuing to use higher and higher frequency ranges, the signal loss on RG59 starts to become a problem - especially on longer runs. That being said, RG59 can still be used for a few years yet, provided some details are taken care of.

- Replace F-connectors! Most old RG59 have the crappy crimp on or low quality compression fittings. Replace these and you'll save yourself quality issues. Newer gen connectors ensure the signal integrity is solid; no leaky in, no leaky out.

- Replace F-81 connectors (wall plates). After a couple decades of use, the pins that bite and hold the stinger start to wear providing a less than adequate connection. This can cause all sorts of issues; pixelization on higher band HD broadcasts, modem flapping, etc.

If you take care of just those two things, your RG59 can continue to service most of your TV/ satellite services.

- 100% copper - better or worse? No effing difference!
RF travels over the outside or "skin" of the copper… between the copper and dielectric material. Look up "the skin effect". Copper clad steel is 110% A-OK to use…. don't let anyone tell you different.

- Quad Shield… necessary? NO! (well usually not). Dual or tri-shield is just fine in 99% of residential and commercial environments. The only time quad is important is if your run is in a truly "noisy" environment. If you get a deal on it there's certainly no harm in using it, other than it's thicker and a bit of a PITA to terminate w/F-connectors.

I am a "cable guy" and take pride in quality installs. I install TV/phone/internet services, drops and rewires. I'm not in the league of crappy installers I hear about on this forum! Hope this helps.