share rss forum feed

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Kramer

Re: New Windows

The company I went with is local and makes their own windows. They also install them themselves, which I like. They offer a lifetime guarentee (I'm sure only for defects). If any issues, I can just call them to correct. I haver 13 windows (some small, some a little larger) so they are about $500 each installed. This seems a little high but this includes labor and tax. From what friends have mentioned and from what I see online, this is about aveage for vinyl windows. I don't know if there is such thing as a "standard" replacement window... this company builds each one themselves based on actual measurements.

I have 2 windows in my basement that are single pane. I'm sure that cold air was sinking into the window wells and just pouring in threw those windows.

I think my utilities will stay about the same but I think the comfort level will improve. In the summer my electric bill is not more then $120 and usually $60-$80. In the winter my gas bill might go to $80 but is usually around $20. Of course it's normal that I have the AC at 78 in the summer and around 60 in the winter.

The "program" guy that came in was "questioning" my electric bill being at $120. I guess that is because even using that number, his calculations showed it would take 20 years to pay for their cost. He told me he thought my bill was actually probably around $220. . I just could not see paying $25,000 for their "program". I did install CFL in most fixtures (went with a few hybrids), I'm working on replacing two doors and will also insulate the over hang of the first floor.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tcope

$500 a window is on the high side for normal replacement windows. I installed top of the line Harvey Acoustical windows for about that price. They should be in the $350-400 ballpark. That's out the door prices. Maybe there is some extra labor for the basement windows or something. I'd try to get them down another 10% if nothing else.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to tcope

I paid $500 per Pella windows (E-rated, argon filled, aluminum clad wood) installed so your quote is kinda high for local, vinyl.
(ofcourse, I only had two rooms to remodel so YMMV)

(Op) I dislike vinyl and don't recommend it unless you don't care to live there awhile..
--
Splat

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

As I understand, vinyl is pretty much the standard now. There is wood and fiberglass but fiberglass is more expensive and wood needs a lot of maintainence.

Expand your moderator at work

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

Recently when it was about 30 degrees outside I shot temps. The wall around the windows were 63 degrees. The windows themselves were 53 degrees and the aluminum frames were 45 degrees. This does not include the cold air leaking in openings as well. I think the new windows will actually make a big difference in my case.

I went with all sliding windows, even in the basement as the R value should be the same. This way they also unlock from the tracks for easy cleaning.

Thing that kills me is that it take "6-8 weeks from start to finish". The guy who came out a few days ago to do the final measurements tells me it would probably be around the end of Jan. before they would be installed. I'd have hoped it would have only been a couple more weeks at the most. But this gives me more time to knock out the nasty tile stools. After they install the windows I'll go in and replace the stools with wood ones.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tcope

Yea Winter is the worst time to do replacement windows since the lead time is normally double or triple the normal because of increased demand. I prefer to do replacements in the middle of Summer since no one is thinking about them so it moves fast.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

I paid $500 per Pella windows (E-rated, argon filled, aluminum clad wood) installed so your quote is kinda high for local, vinyl.
(ofcourse, I only had two rooms to remodel so YMMV)

(Op) I dislike vinyl and don't recommend it unless you don't care to live there awhile..

That's a great price for Pella windows! They get over $1000 apiece for them around here. Like you I dislike vinyl windows, I think they look cheap and not being able to paint the inside certainly limits your decorating choices!

There is a relatively new material for making windows, cellular PVC. It doesn't rot or deteriorate like wood but it can be painted easily unlike vinyl. Another advantage for manufacturers is that the same tools used for manufacturing wood windows can be used for it. Pricing is more than vinyl but less than fiberglass. We've had them about a year and are very very satisfied!

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to tcope

Our house in So Central Texas has double-pane, gas-filled, aluminum single-hung windows throughout, and several of them have leaked such that they've fogged between panes. Naturally, these are in the fixed panes which would be a b*tch to get out owing to the fact that they are rocked-in (masonry-surrounded). A builder I talked to about these said that replacing them was a matter of actually cutting the old window out of its original metal frame (which of course was nailed to the 2x6 stud walls, then taped-around, and finally a rock wall was set around them).

Does anyone know about this process? I'm curious as to how it's done, e.g. do they just use a recip saw, or maybe an angle grinder to cut-out the old windows, then how to insert/secure the new? Can't seem to find any discussions/pics of this online anywhere.

I also want opinions on the value of gas-filled windows; every gas-filled window home I've ever lived in has suffered failures re: fogging eventually.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to tcope

said by tcope:

But I'm betting they want to wrap my water heater. Its in my basement. I hold my hand against it and it's not even warm (house is 63 degrees). I have a feeling that they are going to want to charge me an arm and a leg to wrap it... just to make money.

You'd be surprised how much heat is lost through a water heater. I never could feel any heat on mine as well but once I insulated it, I stuck my hand under the insulation and it was quite warm.

Jacob Henry

join:2012-11-30
reply to tcope

Vinyl replacement windows come mounted in a new jamb, and are simply tilted into the old frame and fastened in place.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

I'm reading their website and they talk about their windows coming in multi chambered frames. Yup, watched the youtube video and these have frames. They over hang on the outside in order to provide a good seal with the siding.

join:2010-07-24

Can you post the image of the window here? i wish to replace my old windows.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

Yup, I'll do it this evening and post some photos of the stools that I have removed.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 edit
reply to tcope

I am looking at replacing all the windows in my "new to me" house. They are aluminum-framed, single-pane, totally non-insulated and are original to the house (built in 1985). Half of them don't open, of the ones that do, half of those won't stay open. A few of them have cracked panes, and all of them let in a ton of outside noise and leak a bunch of air.

There are 11 windows total. Three are average-size double-hung windows (2 bathrooms and laundry room). The windows in the rest of the house (all of the bedrooms, the living room, and dining room) are monster two and three light picture windows with sliders that are all 6-8 feet long. Some of those are up to 5-feet tall.

The replacement windows are double-pane vinyl, argon gas-filled, and are hurricane/impact rated as is now required by code for my area.

I got a price to do it all for $15k. I've had windows replaced before in my old house up north, but have no idea what to think of this price because practically all of these windows are just gigantic.

--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to tcope

I replaced all 22 of our wooden framed, single pane (contractor grade) windows on our 20yr old house using Window World 4000 series. I hated my old windows when I bought the house new, but couldn't afford replacement at the time. There is a VERY noticeable reduction in outside noise and drafts and the slight tint has a more luxurious appearance. There is no longer the hot spaces on the floors that my pets used to like. The cleaning and maintenance used to be a chore, but is a no brainer now (except that my wife make me do the big or high windows).
Of all the stuff that I've upgraded in the house, the window upgrades have NEVER been in the possible 'regret' arena.

...now about those Goodman ACs I did 10yrs ago... that's 'nother thread ... AARRGGGG
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to 79949762

said by 79949762:

Can you post the image of the window here? i wish to replace my old windows.

Not sure if you wanted to see the old or new windows but I have the old windows so far. I posted them in an album for review:

»picasaweb.google.com/10079669610···rectlink

After I took these I discovered one that was even worse. The window did not even reach all the way tightly to the bottom so I had placed some rubber weather striping int he lower sill (it's an unused room where I keep the door shut and almost never go in there).

I've removed tiles from two of the five windows. On one window the tiles came out clean. The others... not so much. Most of the cement (I really think they used cement) came out also in chunks. There is also some chicken wire in it. I think I'll leave it like it us until they put the new windows in and then just use some mastic to put in new stools.

»lh5.googleusercontent.com/-532mc···2529.JPG

I saw some PVC sills at Home Depot that were very nice. They are a matte white and look just like wood. They have a rounded front already.

»www.sill-rite.com/media/pressrelease03.html

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to tcope

This tile is proving to be a real pain in the butt! The first window was very clean but after that, it turned into a real pain to remove. I think they laid it right onto cement... not tile adhesive. There is some wire in the cement as well. I've manged to avoid exposing it in all but 2 places.

There is one window where the window was installed on top of the tile. I'm someone will need to remove small bits once the window is removed.

In the meantime I've picked up some cement and after I get the tile removed I'm going to apply it in order to smooth everything out and make it level. I'd rather have solid cement under the new windows.

Window with tile underneath

Half way through

Clean

I know this will be a pain

Expand your moderator at work

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

3 edits
reply to tcope

That's mud-set tile. Almost a lost art today. I had to dig out my shower faucet through the same stuff. I lost more blood than tile. When replaced the tile, I used plywood covered with tile board in just the area I cut out. If you are going to put in tile to replace it, you want to find a tile installer that knows how to set tile in mud. There are still a few around.

Edit: BTW... that isn't standard cement. Its a special mix of sand and portland cement and I really don't know much about it other than you don't use Sacrete. I really doubt you are going to be able to use that existing bed of mud to replace the tiles too. You are probably going to have to remove it all and replace it or remove it all and replace it with layered tile board (much easier and more appropriate for a DIY project, I would guess).