spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anclarke

join:2002-02-22
Embro, ON

Non-incumbent cable internet options in Ontario?

I'm currently a very happy TekSavvy customer, except for the fact that the fastest service I can get here is 6/512 DSL. I'd like faster download speeds, but what's really holding me back is the upload speed. TekSavvy can't offer me cable internet where I live (New Hamburg, ON), and I've been looking around for other options. I'd like to do everything I can to avoid dealing directly with Rogers.

The only other ISP I've found that can help me is Start. I can get 32/1Mbps service with them, which is great. However, by comparison, Rogers can offer me 35/3Mbps. Does anyone know of another ISP besides Start that can offer me a package with > 1Mbps upload speed?

I've looked at a bunch, including Colbanet, Cogeco, Distributel, Acanac, Primus, Novus, Execulink, Telehop, ElectronicBox, Nexicon, Deveca, Internet Lightspeed, and others. I could go with Rogers, but I want to avoid giving them money directly, and their bandwidth caps and overage charges are deplorable.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

hm

@videotron.ca
When I search for cable on »www.canadianisp.ca/ it shows Teksavvy (acanac and Distributel should be the same as teksavvy) and start.

If this is a Rogers area (you state you can get Rogers) then what Rogers sells they should sell since they wholesale it.

You may want to double check with teksavvy, or double-check that Rogers can actually service you.

If Rogers doesn't service that area then DSL is all you can get. You could always try MLPPP, but... is that worth the cost to you?

If for some strange reason TSI isn't doing that Rogers area, then maybe Distributel is.

anclarke

Embro, ON
Thanks. Rogers can serve me, as they confirmed on the phone. Start for some reason can't/won't offer the same packages Rogers can. I've checked Acanac and Distributel and they are no-gos. TekSavvy uses non-aggregated cable POIs (I say that like I know what it means), so they can only offer cable services where they have POIs. They have one in Kitchener, but apparently that's too far away from New Hamburg. I'd absolutely stay with TekSavvy if they could offer me faster service.

I guess I'll just go with Start. 1Mpbs is still faster than 600kbps, and I hope they'll offer faster options in the future.

- Andrew.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by anclarke:

Start for some reason can't/won't offer the same packages Rogers can.

(snip)

I guess I'll just go with Start. 1Mpbs is still faster than 600kbps, and I hope they'll offer faster options in the future.

Short version: Start will be able to offer those speeds. It's just a question of how soon, and if the prices will stay the same. Neither can be answered until we hear the results of a CRTC decision, which we should have in a few weeks.

Long version: »CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers

anclarke

Embro, ON
Thanks for the info. I haven't really kept up to speed with all that.

- Andrew.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to anclarke
For the record, CIK Telecom is probably a fourth completely independent TPIA provider. Not a recommendation at all, you can see my mostly superficial thoughts on them elsewhere on this forum, but... Well, mostly I'd just like to confirm that they are independent of other TPIAs, but information seems to be very sparse.

Start will almost certainly be offering the 35/3 service within the next couple of months (based on the fact that they offer Extreme level service now, and Rogers proposed tariffs for that service do not represent a big price increase, and do not exclude Start from offering the speed)

--
electronicsguru.ca