spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to hambone42

to hambone42

Re: Structured wiring questions for new (old) home

1 - Since you aren't remodelling, there's no advantage to do the rewiring now. So leave it as is, if it works fine, you'll have saved your time from a currently useless upgrade.

2 - Cat6, it's like 80$ for a 1000F box. You COULD use the cat5e for short runs near the networking gear to leave as much cat6 remaining for the future.

3 - Put some cover above the gear to avoid it getting wet if there is a leak. Location is key.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by alkizmo:

3 - Put some cover above the gear to avoid it getting wet if there is a leak. Location is key.

Went on a telco repair once and first thing I saw when I walked in the utility room at the business was a water leak shooting water all over the telco backboard and everything on it and also all over the electric panels.
Even though the electric panels looked sealed I let them turn off the water first and let the electrician check the electric panels right next to the telco and all the intertwined wiring.

Plus knew the telco side I was working on was probably mostly fine anyways in general and that their phone system was a goner not my problem. So let them know to call their vendor out asap and I would stay to confirm the telco side was dried off and working.

So yes try and keep electric and telco/ communication,data away from pipes or cover it.