share rss forum feed

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

[Professions] Good Professions for Raiding/PvPing

My friends have dragged me back, yet again, to WoW, though, I will not be playing my main that I played back during LK. Which means I need to figure out what I would like to do with my new character, a warrior (currently 88), profession-wise. Right now, he is Engineering/Mining, but neither is at a very high level. What would you all recommend if I want to PvP and dabble a little in raiding?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

i would keep what you have, the engy gadgets are great in pvp and it isnt much but mining gives you a stam buff, and if you are only going to dabble in raiding there isnt any need to min/max a prof
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

+1

Blacksmith + Mining is just awesome.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to cymraeg

Crit is actually your best stat as a warriror even over str at the moment. I would reccomend going skinning/ Leatherworking. Skinnning gives you 450 crit and leatherworking gives you 320 str and basically free BIS bracer and leg enchants which are the most expensive enchants so you save a lot in the long run. Engineering can be fun, but none of the gagets are usable in arena or RBGs and the glove tinker isnt usable with on use trinkets so you cant line it up with your DPS CDs most of the time.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Thank you all for the suggestions. What would you all recommend if I wanted to min/max the professions? It may only be dabbling in the raiding side come time, but I would like to pull my weight when it comes down to it.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

said by Vinceruos_t:

Crit is actually your best stat as a warriror even over str at the moment. I would reccomend going skinning/ Leatherworking. Skinnning gives you 450 crit and leatherworking gives you 320 str and basically free BIS bracer and leg enchants.

^this
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to Goggalor

they all bring roughly the same bonus no matter what prof it is the utility of certain profs that make them more preferable, what Vince says is correct about the armour kits and bracer linings but the skinning at lvl 90 only gives you about .75 % crit, you could go with enchanting and get the ring bonus, would probably be better off.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by cymraeg:

they all bring roughly the same bonus no matter what prof it is the utility of certain profs that make them more preferable, what Vince says is correct about the armour kits and bracer linings but the skinning at lvl 90 only gives you about .75 % crit, you could go with enchanting and get the ring bonus, would probably be better off.

I'll give Leatherworking a go then.

Does Alchemy still double the length of elixirs?
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

it doubles the length of flasks... so my guess is elixirs will have double duration, too.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Immer:

it doubles the length of flasks... so my guess is elixirs will have double duration, too.

Well, I meant flasks originally, but that works, too, then.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

said by Goggalor:

said by Immer:

Well, I meant flasks originally, but that works, too, then.

If you go Panda Alchemy (whatever faction) you will get double flask duration and double food buff effect.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

jofos

join:2008-02-14
Irvington, AL
reply to Goggalor

So what level is required for lvl 600 in a crafting profession these days?

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Goggalor

I forget what profs your other chars have, but mining is largely useless if you can get your ore other ways (and are not a tank, obviously). The skinning/lw suggestion is really great - I hadn't thought of that the other day when we talked about profs. LW is a b*%$^ to level though, imo.

You can have a total free-for-all in Panda skinning though. SO many places have mountains of dead animals due to quests/dailies. Now that there's AoE looting most people are pretty good about prepping all the animals to be skinned, too.
--
Eumaeus, Balance Druid
GM - Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
[6/6] MSV [1/6] HoF

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA
reply to Goggalor

Also for pvp, being a warrior engineer is stupidly good for flag carrying in some bg's. In WSG you can hang glide halfway across the field, heroic leap as far as you can and charge something to pretty much be IN the tunnel in no time.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Venom1

Why not just mining and skinning, get both buffs?

I have that one a toon. I use him to gather mats for my leather worker and my smith/engineer. And yes my smith and my engineer toons have mining on them as well.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Eumaeus

said by Eumaeus:

I forget what profs your other chars have, but mining is largely useless if you can get your ore other ways (and are not a tank, obviously). The skinning/lw suggestion is really great - I hadn't thought of that the other day when we talked about profs. LW is a b*%$^ to level though, imo.

You can have a total free-for-all in Panda skinning though. SO many places have mountains of dead animals due to quests/dailies. Now that there's AoE looting most people are pretty good about prepping all the animals to be skinned, too.

Yeah, I have Alchemy/JC on my Pally and Enchanting/Tailoring on my mage. So, maybe LW/Eng would be fun to try on this guy...

LW can't be any worse to level than Enchanting was back in the day. F***ing rods...
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

enchanting is easy sauce now, only need runed copper rod and open the cash register

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by cymraeg:

enchanting is easy sauce now, only need runed copper rod and open the cash register

Figures. I remember back in Vanilla having to find a freaking BS that could and would make the rod of the appropriate level for you, along with all of the other materials that were needed each time you needed to upgrade.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

said by Goggalor:

said by cymraeg:

Figures. I remember back in Cata having to find a freaking BS that could and would make the rod of the appropriate level for you, along with all of the other materials that were needed each time you needed to upgrade.

Updated.

Gainsborough

@johnstonesupply.com
reply to jofos

80's can max proffesions.

Gan

join:2009-04-10
Taiwan
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Why not just mining and skinning, get both buffs?

You sure can, but the benefits of primary professions (aforementioned LW and Enchanting perks, special gems from JC etc.) outweigh the benefits of the pure +480 stam toughness buff from mining, mostly for flexibility reasons. For instance, the +2 gem slots from BS can be filled with two Solid River's Heart for the same +480 stam, but can be switched out if needed. You can also make other enhancements like belt buckles, shield spikes, etc.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Nick D

said by Nick D:

said by Goggalor:

said by cymraeg:

Figures. I remember back in Cata having to find a freaking BS that could and would make the rod of the appropriate level for you, along with all of the other materials that were needed each time you needed to upgrade.

Updated.

Actually, Blizz fixed it back in LK, if I recall correctly.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Goggalor

my warrior is 88 now as well. Main spec arms with JC/skinning and cooking for the strength food