spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tr6scott
join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

tr6scott

Wired Ethernet, vs. coax, vs. Wireless.

I wired the house 3 years ago with ethernet from tv locations to a central cabinet in preparation for uVerse. Back then the cable install was frowned upon, and the cable installed in the house was by the builder with radio shack wire and components. Had Uverse installed last week, and they used the Ethernet. The DVR has locked up, twice, and the stb's will not play recorded programs, can not find dvr. All work fine to watch TV. Tech came out on Friday and changed iNid, battery box and internal i38HG, and was working. DVR stopped recordings on Sunday, did reset from the interactive help on the tv trouble shooting channel. Techs are back out today, and the solution today, is to pull coax to the easy tv install in the basement, and give me wireless dvr and wireless stb for the upstairs location.

Does that make sense? Is there a different thought process now with the iNid roll out that the system is more stable with wireless and coax than dedicated cat5?

Also there was an issue with i38HG, that when you disabled the wireless, and re-enabled it, it does not turn back on. They are going to fix that too.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Were the boxes on Ethernet connecting to the i3812 Outdoor Unit's Ethernet port, or were they connecting to Ethernet ports on the i38?

If they were all connecting to a switch and then onto the i3812 Outdoor Unit, it should work fine on Ethernet

If they were all connecting to the i38 Indoor Unit and then Twisted Pair/HPNA back to the i3812, you will run into the problems you described.

tr6scott
join:2002-03-23
Oxford, MI

tr6scott

You nailed it. Yes, all 3 were connected to the internal to the house, to the i38HG, along with my network infrastructure, through DMZ+ mode and a home built pfsense router.
tr6scott

tr6scott to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Question, I don't use the i38HG wireless, I already have wireless set up in the house. If I ran an enet from the inid to a dedicated switch for the Tv's, do I even need the internal i38HG in the system? The current working solution is the tech ran coax to the dvr box, then gave me two wireless receivers, and plugged in the access point into the i38HG, is still handling two sets.

My internal computer network and wireless connects through pfsense router, so the ip subnets are isolated.