how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caa100

join:2004-04-02
Annandale, VA

2 edits

[VA] Premiere - Stick with SA2100 or Upgrade Modem?

I am currently on Preferred, which Cox advertizes as 15Mbps.
I consistently get between 25Mbps and 30Mbps using cox's speed checker. I've got an SA2100 modem.

I am upgrading to premiere for the increase in bandwidth.
A Cox support rep told a new Docsis 3.0 modem will allow me to get faster speeds.

Looks like I'm already getting the Premiere speeds, though.

So my question is: If I upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 modem, will this result in lower speeds? (I read that Docsis 3.0 makes it easier for the ISP to control your bandwidth speed.)

Also, anyone in NVA with positive or negative experience on Moto SB6141 or Cisco DPC3010?

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

a docsis 3 modem will allow you to go above and beyond premier speeds

the speeds you are seeing is power boost before my power boost was capped i was getting up too 120mbps down and 5mbps up

now i am always getting 27mbps down and 20mbps up (the 20mbpus being power boost)

also you will be future proof the reason they require docsis 3 is due to speed increases that will push the speeds beyond what docsis 2 modem can do

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I suggest if you are going to upgrade to premier tier, invest in a D3 modem that is 8x4, which both the Motorola SB6141, and Cisco DPC3010 are both 8x4 modem's. With the modem your on currently, yes it's possible to supply speeds up to 38mbps. But that modem is locked to a single channel, and that 38mbps is the max speed that single channel can provide. So during peak usage hours, when everyone wants to get online and watch youtube video's, and netflix. Don't expect that single channel your currently on, to provide the speed you pay for, as that channel is shared with other's on your node.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by lilstone87:

I suggest if you are going to upgrade to premier tier, invest in a D3 modem that is 8x4

8x4....pishaw!

go all out and get a modem that bonds 16x4 or 24x8 channels
»ir.arrisi.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=87···=1745541

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

are you referring to docsis 3.1 :0

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by bryant313:

are you referring to docsis 3.1 :0

Nope, 3.0 has no restriction on the number of channels bonded. The reason we only had 8x4 was that everyone was pretty much using the same chipset in their modems

Intel released a new Puma series chipset this year that allows for the bonding of up to 24 downstream and 8 upstream and manufactures like Arris are starting to release modems built on this platform into the wild. I saw several companies at Cable Tech Expo in Orlando last month showing off production modems capable of 1Gps downstream from 24 bonded channels.

Though I am not aware of any cable provider that has a Puma 6-based modem on their approved list, it is only a matter of time.

And of course, the MSOs like Cox will need to decide if and how they want to allocate more QAMs for downstream...hmm, do we really need six shopping channels?

The real challenge will be in the upstream as pretty much everyone has their networks setup to only allow upstream frequencies up to 42Mhz. DOCSIS 3 extends this to 85Mhz which provides the potential for bonding more than 4 upstreams but this requires plant modifications to replace filters which is not a cheap proposition...not to mention they would need to dump analog TV which could be a regulatory issue in some franchise areas.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Pretty much your saying there is a lot of work to be done on the ISP side, before we see more then 8 downstream channel's available for bonding. Going to be even harder on the upstream side, which I am sure my market is at max on current upstream channel's, as we are already bonding 4 channel's. I like seeing newer modem's out, but honestly don't see us going higher in channel count either way for a while. A lot different then it was going from 4 to 8 channel's with D3 modem's.