uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

USSC lets citizen in Illinois to secretly audio tape police

The USSC refused to hear an appeal from a lower Federal Court that blocked enforcement of an Illinois law that made it a crime to audio record police secretly during police stops. So, for now anyway, if you live in Illinois you won't be prosecuted for secretly taping police during traffic stops.

»www.politico.com/blogs/u ··· 290.html

But, as always, caution is the watchword here. If the police catch you recording them during a stop, they may not arrest you for doing that. But you can almost bet your life that they will throw every charge in the book against you they can dream up if they can. And instead of getting a speeding ticket and going on your way, you can be delayed for a very long time as they look for ways to punish your impertinence. My suggestion would be don't record them. Or at least don't get caught doing it.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf

Premium Member

Bambuser - , baby.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to FFH5

to FFH5

So, what's your point? What do you think is the advantage of having an audio recording when many if not most agencies already do the same thing plus video? Do you expect them to recite some ancient secret police voodoo ritual or something???

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

So, what's your point? What do you think is the advantage of having an audio recording when many if not most agencies already do the same thing plus video?

As non-police controlled proof for internal affairs that you may have been harassed by police on a traffic stop. Of course, like I pointed out, there is a risk involved in making a recording if you are observed doing so.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by FFH5:

As non-police controlled proof for internal affairs that you may have been harassed by police on a traffic stop. Of course, like I pointed out, there is a risk involved in making a recording if you are observed doing so.

On the one hand, I have never been harassed during a police stop. On the other hand, if the officer is doing his job in a professional manner, a citizen recording the encounter should not be a problem.

"Character" is how you behave when nobody is looking. And from my observation of citizen behavior in downtown San Jose, California, the SJPD has a piss poor pool of citizens with sufficient character to take on the job of being a cop.