Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

U.S. Source for Raspberry Pi?

I'm looking to purchase one of these (V2, 512 MB) and it seems nobody has them in stock? Is it just the market or am I missing a source?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

I think you're missing sources; a Google search showed at least two online sources of US companies selling them (though some are on backorder, about a week).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Sorry, I did a Google search and was just wondering if anyone knew of a source that wasn't on back order.

I do see some flea bay and Amazon sellers are getting ~$70 for them, no back order there...

Anyway, I'll stay on Google, thanks.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

Seem like they are out of stock. I wonder why.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

The maker has stated from the beginning that keeping up with demand was going to be an issue - but now I see Sony are involved with version 2 you would think they were able to keep up more than it's humble beginning. That price tag will keep sales going for a long time.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to garys_2k

I plan on getting one in a few weeks. It looks like Sony's production capacity is around 4000 a day, so maybe they'll catch up with demand in a few months.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

Initially they were talking 1 per person via RS Components only, so any extra above and beyond that with Sony's help must be good, as the initial restrictions of 1 each has been lifted - give them time, it is only 8-10 months old.

A mate had to wait 6 months for his off the original market for version 1. I'm gathering waiting and looking will place you down the list further.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to garys_2k

Raspberry Pi Model A and B Complete, Shipping Now
»www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2615

I think Model A is $10.. but not sure who sell that.

Model B for $35(not sure on shipping.)
»www.element14.com/community/grou···berry-pi

»news.softpedia.com/news/Raspberr···13.shtml
Raspberry Pi Model A Complete, Shipping Now

quote:
Even though some may not have thought there would be room for a downgrade of the Raspberry Pi, the Raspberry Pi Foundation has its own opinion.

Here is the Raspberry Pi Model A, almost identical to the Model B but equipped with only 256 MB of RAM (B has 512 MB) and one USB port (B has two).

Most interesting is that the Model A completely lacks Ethernet connection, meaning it can't be used as a Smart WEB TV creator.

It should, however, be a cheaper ($10 / 7.68-10 Euro cheaper) means of creating mods and gadgets, like a certain pocket-sized MAME arcade cabinet. The lack of an Ethernet chip significantly cuts power use as well.

“We’re seeing demand for the Model A from people making industrial control modules, from roboticists, from people doing automation, for a bunch of headless operations – and, significantly, for people who want to use the Pi as a very cheap media center,” Liz Upton wrote.