uniqs
share rss forum feed

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

WiFi problem with Galaxy SIII

I have a wireless router DLink DIR 625 that has given many good years of service. All of my wireless devices work very well with the router, several laptops, gaming consoles, tablets, a TV, and older phones. My Galaxy SIII phone does not work so well. At its worst, apps pause and can wait 10 to 30 seconds to re establish wifi connection every few minutes. Common apps like Twitter and Facebook exhibit the problem but it is most noticeable with a couple game apps where timing is crucial. On a very rare occasion the wifi connection remains intact for long periods like it should. I have done lots of searching about the problem with the GSIII and other users report similar issues. None of the work arounds that others have tried seem to work for me. The much reported solution of going in to service mode on the phone and turning off wifi power save mode does not work for me. My phone got a firmware update a few weeks ago and I thought that solved the problem because the wifi connection worked good for a couple days but the problem came back.

What types of things should I look at to find a resolution? I have tried some different settings on the DLink router like wifi channel and frequency. The router has the latest firmware update available. The router is set for WPA/WPA2 PSK with a long random passphrase. The problem occurs even if I am just a few feet from my router antenna. I suspect some sort of interference in my house or possibly from a neighbor or a problem related to several home wireless networks in the neighborhood. Sporadic interference would explain why on rare occasions that my phone and router work good. However, none of my other wireless devices give any hint of a similar problem. If the gaming consoles experienced anything like the phone does, I would have gotten complaints from my kids about it. I suppose I could consider a new router but that seems silly since all of my other devices work great with the router. My phone works good on wifi when connected at work. There are no other wifi networks in range at work.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by drslash:

I have a wireless router DLink DIR 625 that has given many good years of service.

Count yourself lucky and buy a better router.
--
db

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

said by clarknova:

said by drslash:

I have a wireless router DLink DIR 625 that has given many good years of service.

Count yourself lucky and buy a better router.

I'll just disregard your lame response, thank you.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB

Your funeral
--
db

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

ok...redeem yourself with a router suggestion.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I usually recommend the ASUS RT-N12vB1 because it is good value for the money. It does 802.11n 2x2 for 300 mbps in the 2.4 GHz band. Dual 5 dBi antennas for excellent range, 8 MB of flash for good firmware support and decent future expansion, and a 300 MHz CPU which should be good for around 45 Mbps of routing under typical circumstances. Install Shibby's Tomato firmware for maximum reliability.

»tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N···-Max.trx

If you want dual band wifi (2.4 + 5 GHz) go for the RT-N66U with Shibby's Tomato (use the right build for the hardware). If you don't care about dual band and just want a faster CPU or 3x3 wifi, go for the RT-N16.
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
reply to drslash

I forgot to mention the RT-N12 doesn't have USB ports, while the other two do.
--
db

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to drslash

My suggestion is that you get the Netgear R6300 Wireless Router because its designed for the new breed of smart phones, tablets etc. I have 6 of these in client sites and no issue with a mix of iphones, ipads, Galaxy SIII, plus assortment of other stuff.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mozerd:

designed for the new breed of smart phones, tablets etc.

That reads an awful lot like marketing fluff, friend. Were you going to bring any facts to this discussion?
--
db

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by clarknova:

That reads an awful lot like marketing fluff, friend. Were you going to bring any facts to this discussion?

I only recommend gear that I have experience with and my experience with the R6300 so Far has been very positive especially with a large mix of gear mentioned earlier.BTW, When did we become friends?

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
reply to drslash

especially considering everything else seems to work, i'd back up the router's settings and reset it to factory defaults. then, i'd unplug everything else and set up wifi without security. use the SIII and see if you have disconnects. if in that minimal state you still have problems, only then would i consider hardware replacement.

otherwise, if it "works as expected", then i'd start adding devices back to the network and restoring the router settings (from memory, if possible, rather than the backup file) one piece at a time.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

I did a factory reset but I did not try using the GSIII for a period of time without wifi security set up. I will try that.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to LowInfoVoter

said by LowInfoVoter:

especially considering everything else seems to work, i'd back up the router's settings and reset it to factory defaults. then, i'd unplug everything else and set up wifi without security. use the SIII and see if you have disconnects. if in that minimal state you still have problems, only then would i consider hardware replacement.

otherwise, if it "works as expected", then i'd start adding devices back to the network and restoring the router settings (from memory, if possible, rather than the backup file) one piece at a time.

I did a router reset. My GSIII worked fine at every step of restoring router settings until I implemented WPA2 personal security with AES and TKIP cipher. I didn't use my phone for an extended time without security enabled but for the time I did, the app I most have problems with worked fine. In some of my searching about this issue I have seen reports that the phone does not play nice with some routers security setups. My testing seems to confirm this. I am going to disable security again and use the phone and apps for an extended period to double check. I guess if it is a problem with security I'll replace the router. Seems dumb but I guess I need to do it.

mozerd See Profile and LowInfoVoter See Profile do you agree with my conclusion about the security incompatibility and the need to just replace the router with a current technology one?
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

LowInfoVoter

USA

glad to hear you were able to narrow down the source of the issue. im never an advocate of "burning down the house to get rid of the roaches", or in this case "having one particular issue that you can't exactly identify the source of so you replace the entire device". if someone can't provide concrete, reproducible evidence towards a need to replace a device, i'd do what you did earlier and disregard it.

said by drslash:

do you agree with my conclusion about the security incompatibility and the need to just replace the router with a current technology one?

not yet. i've had issues with WPA2 where my device just didn't like the type of characters that were in the key. use WPA2 with a really basic key consisting of only letters and numbers (no specials). see if that works. if it does, i would chalk it up to an issue with your device's implementation of WPA and the router's implementation.

if it appears to be a conflict in key implementation, your next hurdle will be to determine if you want "really cryptic keys" or whether you can live with a "more generic key".

since you said that you have no problems at work, i would use their network key (if it's WPA2) as the starting point in determining if there's a WPA2 key implementation issue.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Thanks for your reply. I will try my phone for and extended period without security and with a more generic pass phrase. If all goes well with the generic pass phrase then I will just use a less cryptic one and deal with the short term whining when all of the wireless devices in the house need to have their pass phrase changed.

LowInfoVoter

USA

just for my curiosity, is your work's network certificate based or is it key (WPA2) based? if it's WPA2 based, hopefully it will have some special characters in it that you could use as a reference point for "valid" ASCII characters.

if it doesn't have any, then it reinforces the idea of the need for a "generic key", but i wouldn't bet on this being the case necessarily..

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

My work has a secured and unsecured wifi available. I am connecting to the unsecured network, no key or pass phrase is required to connect.

LowInfoVoter

USA

ah, then that definitely points to some issue with the implementation of WPA2 between your two devices

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Well...it's not looking good. My GSIII works fine with no security enabled and does not hold a consistent wifi connection using a generic pass phrase.

mannram

@optonline.net

Can you change the security to aes?

mannram

@optonline.net
reply to drslash

Can you change the security to aes?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

I have tried different combinations of the security settings on the router and it looks like WPA2 only with AES cipher is working and I am able to use a long random character pass phrase. I hope this is my solution. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to drslash

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I have had similar issues both at home and at work. The Wifi works great, but I have disconnections at random. Sometimes 1-2 times a day, sometimes 4. Never more than that though. When I look at the Wifi access point, it says "Authentication Error Occurred". If I reconnect, it will work fine. If I shut off the wifi and turn it back on again, it will work fine.

Just letting you know that this problem is being reported on a lot of samsung devices, and I don't think it is the router. I have hit this problem less lately though.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

LowInfoVoter

USA
reply to drslash

glad you didn't have to buy new hardware. that should always, ALWAYS be the last resort after THOROUGH investigation rather than subjective speculation.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Unfortunately, no combination of security settings or simple passwords have solved the problem. It seems that when the router is reset after I make a security change then the phone will work good on wifi for a while...few hours...couple days, then it goes back to disconnects every 5-10 minutes. Again, no matter what my security settings were on, all of my other devices have no problems. The router reset seems to point a finger at the router but the problem is consistently with my GSIII and no other devices.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

ENCXBG1

@cox.net

I have the same issues with my GSIII and my router. At first I thought the issue was due to hidden SSID. Unhiding it didn't help. I've already tried several routers from different vendors (Asus, Trendnet, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys) and had no luck solving this problem which is why I think it is specific to the device.

Does your AP you have a direct connection to your Modem/DSL or do you have a router before your Wifi AP?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

The only wireless AP I have in the house is the router itself. I thought about adding an AP to see if that would help the problem. I don't know why it would so I have not tried it yet.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

FYI: Early indications are that the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update to my GSIII has fixed this problem.

Thanks for everybody's assistance.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to drslash

Will it work with WEP? That's better than nothing.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

FYI: Early indications are that the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update to my GSIII has fixed this problem.

Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Just thought I would give an update. The above did not solve the problem long term. I have since had another Android update and the problem is fixed for about a day. The WiFi is flawless like at no other time for a while after an OS update and then goes back to the same old constant intermittent problems. I have messed with enough...I am just dealing with it. I need a new desktop or laptop computer so I may be getting a new router at that time and I'll look at this issue again. I may also be getting a new phone in a few months so hopefully this annoying problem goes away.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--