Re: WiFi problem with Galaxy SIII

Can you change the security to aes?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

I have tried different combinations of the security settings on the router and it looks like WPA2 only with AES cipher is working and I am able to use a long random character pass phrase. I hope this is my solution. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to drslash

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I have had similar issues both at home and at work. The Wifi works great, but I have disconnections at random. Sometimes 1-2 times a day, sometimes 4. Never more than that though. When I look at the Wifi access point, it says "Authentication Error Occurred". If I reconnect, it will work fine. If I shut off the wifi and turn it back on again, it will work fine.

Just letting you know that this problem is being reported on a lot of samsung devices, and I don't think it is the router. I have hit this problem less lately though.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
reply to drslash

glad you didn't have to buy new hardware. that should always, ALWAYS be the last resort after THOROUGH investigation rather than subjective speculation.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Unfortunately, no combination of security settings or simple passwords have solved the problem. It seems that when the router is reset after I make a security change then the phone will work good on wifi for a while...few hours...couple days, then it goes back to disconnects every 5-10 minutes. Again, no matter what my security settings were on, all of my other devices have no problems. The router reset seems to point a finger at the router but the problem is consistently with my GSIII and no other devices.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

ENCXBG1

@cox.net

I have the same issues with my GSIII and my router. At first I thought the issue was due to hidden SSID. Unhiding it didn't help. I've already tried several routers from different vendors (Asus, Trendnet, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys) and had no luck solving this problem which is why I think it is specific to the device.

Does your AP you have a direct connection to your Modem/DSL or do you have a router before your Wifi AP?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

The only wireless AP I have in the house is the router itself. I thought about adding an AP to see if that would help the problem. I don't know why it would so I have not tried it yet.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

FYI: Early indications are that the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update to my GSIII has fixed this problem.

Thanks for everybody's assistance.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to drslash

Will it work with WEP? That's better than nothing.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

FYI: Early indications are that the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update to my GSIII has fixed this problem.

Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Just thought I would give an update. The above did not solve the problem long term. I have since had another Android update and the problem is fixed for about a day. The WiFi is flawless like at no other time for a while after an OS update and then goes back to the same old constant intermittent problems. I have messed with enough...I am just dealing with it. I need a new desktop or laptop computer so I may be getting a new router at that time and I'll look at this issue again. I may also be getting a new phone in a few months so hopefully this annoying problem goes away.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to drslash

I echo Mozerds suggestion for a new router. The latest smartphones can make fuller use of N technology and thats why the R6300 suggestion. Alternatively ASUS makes the two 66U models and and an N65U model that are very very nice.
Again might be overkill for your needs but it is getting time to upgrade.