antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Insanely Easy To Get Hacked When U're Using Airport Wifi.

»www.businessinsider.com/safely-u···-2012-11

"Is it safe to use Wi-Fi hot spots with my smart phone while traveling abroad?

Trip Doctor’s Answer

If you live in fear, as I do, of racking up exorbitant international roaming charges on your smart phone, it can be tempting to hop on to a hot spot to do your browsing and e-mailing.

But though most of us know to avoid doing our online banking, say, via the free Wi-Fi connection at a public park, it might come as a surprise to learn that paid, password-protected networks put us at risk, too — including those found at cafés, airports, and even hotels..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Once I leave my home wifi the VPN is constantly on.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

The thread title seems over-hyped to me.

Simple practice - always assume that you are connected to a hostile network, even when at home. Use your computer and other devices accordingly.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13
reply to antdude

This also assumes the airport wifi is even worth using. If I have to find a customer service desk and pay an
arm and a leg for the privilege of using their wifi on a time-based limitation, I'll stick to a good book anyday,
thank you very much!

Regards

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

Simple practice - always assume that you are connected to a hostile network, even when at home. Use your computer and other devices accordingly.

Excellent, excellent advice!! As any network I can connect to, instantly becomes hostile

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool