uniqs

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Insanely Easy To Get Hacked When U're Using Airport Wifi.

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· -2012-11

"Is it safe to use Wi-Fi hot spots with my smart phone while traveling abroad?

Trip Doctor’s Answer

If you live in fear, as I do, of racking up exorbitant international roaming charges on your smart phone, it can be tempting to hop on to a hot spot to do your browsing and e-mailing.

But though most of us know to avoid doing our online banking, say, via the free Wi-Fi connection at a public park, it might come as a surprise to learn that paid, password-protected networks put us at risk, too — including those found at cafés, airports, and even hotels..."

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik

Premium Member

Once I leave my home wifi the VPN is constantly on.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

2 recommendations

nwrickert to antdude

Mod

to antdude
The thread title seems over-hyped to me.

Simple practice - always assume that you are connected to a hostile network, even when at home. Use your computer and other devices accordingly.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to antdude

MVM

to antdude
This also assumes the airport wifi is even worth using. If I have to find a customer service desk and pay an
arm and a leg for the privilege of using their wifi on a time-based limitation, I'll stick to a good book anyday,
thank you very much!

Regards

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to nwrickert

MVM

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

Simple practice - always assume that you are connected to a hostile network, even when at home. Use your computer and other devices accordingly.

Excellent, excellent advice!! As any network I can connect to, instantly becomes hostile

Blake