All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
MIXZ1
join:2001-01-02
Florida

MIXZ1 to norwegian

to norwegian

Re: Can anyone crack pigeon's wartime code?

said by norwegian:

So I gather using a random cipher stops the patterns of the English language from forming?

I repeat, when used correctly an OTP message is unbreakable without the OTP. Simple newspaper puzzle and jumble rules don't apply. And a point to remember is that these messages were often coded under duress, sometimes in terrible conditions, without the use of any computational devices other than a paper and pen. Not even the million monkeys can decode this one.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by MIXZ1:

Not even the million monkeys can decode this one.

Well an infinite number of monkeys given an infinite amount of time might. You might also get the complete works of William Shakespeare.

That said I don't see the point. Even if decrypted a 70+ year old message would most likely be completely meaningless to anyone living now.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

... I don't see the point. Even if decrypted a 70+ year old message would most likely be completely meaningless to anyone living now.

It's the challenge involved in it. And who knows, maybe it involved a salacious revelation about a hitherto-unknown Hitler mistress... or an urgent request for another case of His Majesty's finest malt to be sent to the front. Inquiring minds want to know, as do folks with entirely too much time on their hands...