uniqs
share rss forum feed

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL

Electronic Parking Brake

I'm seeing more and more cars with Electronic Parking Brakes. I guess I don't understand how they work. How would one use this if you had a dead or missing battery?
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

Dead battery, boost it.

Most have a manual override in the trunk to allow it to be released even in the absence of power.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

And an electric trunk release.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to VegasMan

I think its more of a gimmick to make a car look cooler by not having the lever or third/fourth pedal.

the button just makes a motor pull the cable instead of you doing it with that lever on the console.

Personally I am happy with the manual parking brake, considering how many mechanics have tried to drive my cars and then realize the brake is engaged something tells me many people do not even use them. I use mine even when parked in the garage.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Kearnstd:

I think its more of a gimmick to make a car look cooler by not having the lever or third/fourth pedal.

the button just makes a motor pull the cable instead of you doing it with that lever on the console.

Personally I am happy with the manual parking brake, considering how many mechanics have tried to drive my cars and then realize the brake is engaged something tells me many people do not even use them. I use mine even when parked in the garage.

I use my as well.
Because you can damage your transmission just using parking. I also don't park on hills.

Hold break tell in park > engage e-break .put in park

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to VegasMan

I like the feature

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to Kearnstd

The proper way to engage a hand brake in an auto transmission vehicle is the following sequence: press firmly on the foot brake then engage park, then pull the hand brake to its maximum, then release the foot brake. Doing it this way reduces any tension on the cog in the transmission when engaging park. It also stops the car from rocking which will happen if the hand brake is not engaged. Many older frail people do not have the wrist strength to engage the hand brake correctly so for them an electronic parking brake would be a good idea.

-Bob

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to VegasMan

said by VegasMan:

I'm seeing more and more cars with Electronic Parking Brakes. I guess I don't understand how they work. How would one use this if you had a dead or missing battery?

I'll tell you one negative feature of the electric parking brake compared to the manual; no more quick u-turns!

My VW had a center console manual. My Nissan has a foot one - I actually like foot one better, and glad it's come back. The electric-ebrake? Meh, don't need it. Would much rather prefer some better gauges in the car; battery voltage, oil pressure, etc.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Bob Anderson

said by Bob Anderson:

Many older frail people do not have the wrist strength to engage the hand brake correctly so for them an electronic parking brake would be a good idea.

Hand operated parking brakes are found more on the foreign cars and the domestics have more foot operated parking brakes.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Bob Anderson:

Many older frail people do not have the wrist strength to engage the hand brake correctly so for them an electronic parking brake would be a good idea.

Hand operated parking brakes are found more on the foreign cars and the domestics have more foot operated parking brakes.

I wonder if this is due to the fact a hand brake requires no alterations to make the car right or left hand drive. The console is always still there.
--

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to VegasMan

The foot pedal parking brake was really scoring bad in crash test as it would really mess peoples legs up in accidents... Personally, i'd do the electronic one or go with the hand or dash parking break.. My brothers 95 nissans dash lever looks like it wouldn't do you any harm

/shrug

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Bob Anderson:

I wonder if this is due to the fact a hand brake requires no alterations to make the car right or left hand drive. The console is always still there.

I would think so. It is much easier to have a console and bracket/lever for LHD and for RHD to connect to a center pulled brake cable, instead of having the foot design that carries the cable down one side or the other side when having to move from LHD to RHD production.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

This may sound like a dumb question, is the transmission "flipped" in a RHD car? As in do they make it so 1st is still towards the driver or is that always the same, left and up/left and down for first?(added and down as I have seen a car or two where Reverse is left and up.
--

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Kearnstd:

This may sound like a dumb question, is the transmission "flipped" in a RHD car? As in do they make it so 1st is still towards the driver or is that always the same, left and up/left and down for first?(added and down as I have seen a car or two where Reverse is left and up.

I didn't know myself having only driven LHD all my life so Yahoo Answers to the rescue.

Is the shift pattern flipped on UK Manual Transmission cars due to them being right hand drive?
»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···3AAomIAt
quote:
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
No. It would cost manufacturers a lot of money to reverse the shift patterns for RHD vehicles. The shift pattern remains the same for both LHD and RHD vehicles.

Besides, if you learn to shift with your left hand and 1st gear is always farthest away from you, it becomes accepted and second nature anyway.

Other Answers (1)
I live in Australia am drive a right hand drive car, first gear is top left an reverse is bottom right.
Source(s):
driving a right hand drive?
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

Probably because some of us foreigners don't consider a handbrake to be merely a parking brake.

For example, (when I took my driving test lo these many years ago) one is supposed to engage the handbrake, and shift into neutral, when stopped at a red light.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by dave:

said by Doctor Olds:

Probably because some of us foreigners don't consider a handbrake to be merely a parking brake.

For example, (when I took my driving test lo these many years ago) one is supposed to engage the handbrake, and shift into neutral, when stopped at a red light.

That doesn't make much sense. A parking/hand brake generally only locks the 2 rear wheels, even if it is drive shaft mounted. Also if you were rear ended at a stop light you would be shoved farther. Your foot on the brake locks all 4 wheels, which would be safer if hit from behind.

Unless they are talking when taking off so you don't roll back, only poor drivers do that unless on a good incline. All of this is assuming you are talking about manual transmissions.;)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Sure it does make sense. The point is that the car is immobilised whatever you do with your feet. Failsafe.

In gear with foot on clutch => your feet slip, someone gets hurt. This is not protection against being hit, it's about control of the car.

My understanding at the time was that if you didn't do this, it was an instant test failure.

Anecdotally, I think this is why British traffic lights have a red+amber phase between red and green: so you can get ready to move. If you already were in gear with the handbrake off, that phase would not be needed. This link concurs, and also supports (see footnote) the view that use of the handbrake in the driving test was required.

(Note I didn't say you had to also take your foot off the brake: leave it there if it makes you feel better).