join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

2 recommendations

Who runs the Internet?

Wow! This ought to work really well...NOT!

»www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/un-···018.html

U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet
2:48 PM, Nov 26, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER Widget tooltip
Single Page
Print
Larger Text
Smaller Text Alerts AlertsHide
Get alerts when there is a new article that might interest you.
Send me alerts for: Bill Kristol
Fred Barnes
Jay Cost Your e-mail address: Confirm e-mail address: Please sign me up for The Weekly Standard weekly newsletter. The Weekly Standard reserves the right to use your email for internal use only. Occasionally, we may send you special offers or communications from carefully selected advertisers we believe may be of benefit to our subscribers. Click the box to be included in these third party offers. We respect your privacy and will never rent or sell your email. Please include me in third party offers.

Next week the United Nations' International Telecommunications Union will meet in Dubai to figure out how to control the Internet. Representatives from 193 nations will attend the nearly two week long meeting, according to news reports.

and...

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···508.html

Who runs the Internet? For now, the answer remains no one, or at least no government, which explains the Web's success as a new technology. But as of next week, unless the U.S. gets serious, the answer could be the United Nations.

Many of the U.N.'s 193 member states oppose the open, uncontrolled nature of the Internet. Its interconnected global networks ignore national boundaries, making it hard for governments to censor or tax. And so, to send the freewheeling digital world back to the state control of the analog era, China, Russia, Iran and Arab countries are trying to hijack a U.N. agency that has nothing to do with the Internet.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

Aw Shucks, Why Not Let the UN Control the Internet? (PJM)
quote:
Here it comes again — another United Nations-sponsored grab to control the Internet. Next month, Dec. 3-14, the UN’s International Telecommunications Union (ITU) is holding a conference in Dubai, at which UN member states will meet to update the ITU treaty arrangements for international communications. The window will be open for everything from proposals for UN-regulated and administered fees to, as The Hill reports, language from China and Iran, which, in an effort to share with the world at large their own domestic practices, “could lead to online censorship and government monitoring of Web traffic.”

I’d include here a list of participants expected at the Dubai conference, except, in one those ominous foreshadowings to which the UN’s more troublesome gatherings are prone, the conference web site features its roster of “Announced Participants” as a restricted link, accessible only to those the ITU deems worthy. Apparently that does not include the great unwashed Internet-using public.

But hey, with the UN on the job, what could possibly go wrong?

Plenty, of course. The UN, in one way or another, has been eyeing the internet for years as a potential font of cash and lever of control. And the UN these days is the kind of place where Iran now chairs the Non-Aligned Movement, which consists of 119 member states plus the Palestinians — and accounts for well over half the membership of the UN General Assembly. All the usual old troubles apply: The UN remains an unaccountable, murky bureaucracy, lending itself to the manipulations of its worst members.

Holycrap

join:2012-11-05
reply to jaykaykay
Bullcrap politics at its worst

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay
I run the Internet. :P

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···508.html
And so, to send the freewheeling digital world back to the state control of the analog era, China, Russia, Iran and Arab countries are trying to hijack a U.N. agency that has nothing to do with the Internet.

Let them develop their own internet.... If this happens DNS will fracture.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
What a stellar idea!! Not.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

Only until the UN's anteater tracks you down...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to jaykaykay
Don't pay your company taxes right and face loosing your web address is one solution. Getting rid of some domain registers wouldn't be so bad either. You could use the U.N. to set it up but are they need to run it?
The ISP's already have to collect the tax on people.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by antdude:

Only until the UN's anteater tracks you down...

"I care not" like my friend always say.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to jaykaykay
The IETF would be a far better organization to "run" the internet than the UN.

»www.ietf.org/
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to jaykaykay
This is, I think, the THIRD thread on this topic in this forum. Does nobody check before posting a new thread or read this forum and thus know it has been posted before? Not jumping on you, jaykaykay See Profile as many people do this here now but really shouldn't.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

WeenieAlso

join:2002-01-29
Pasadena, MD

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
Al Gore invented it........ Let him decide

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

This is, I think, the THIRD thread on this topic in this forum. Does nobody check before posting a new thread or read this forum and thus know it has been posted before? Not jumping on you, jaykaykay See Profile as many people do this here now but really shouldn't.

Why didn't you link them?
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.