spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eg0rd0

join:2012-11-26
Winter Park, FL

[Internet] Motorola SB5120 - should I upgrade to SB6141?

I have a 6 year old Motorola SB5120 which I have been renting from Brighthouse Orlando. It's currently working fine (I think).
Speed test shows 30.5mbps dl and 2.4mbps ul speeds.
I was wondering if it's worth my time to trade it in for a newer model. Will I see any noticeable performance gain on my current RoadRunner service? Does Brighthouse offer the newer SB6141 Motorola modems for rent, or do I need to purchase my own?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147

No you will not see an increase in your speeds...

eg0rd0

Winter Park, FL

So DOCSIS 3.0 is not supported in my area?
BTW... my local BH office told me that they do not offer Motorola modems anymore. Is this true?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to eg0rd0

Your speeds are regulated by the associated BIN file issued to the modem not the modem type in this case. Unless you plan to upgrade to Lightning you are already getting the max speeds for your tier. Just because you have docsis3 modem doesnt mean your speeds will be any faster since you already are tier maxed anyway with your current modem.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

so having docsis 3.0 equipment doesn't provide ANY benefit to non-lightning tiers? I figured at least something like better line stats or lower latency or something.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

eg0rd0

Winter Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

What is latest model Motorola modem available to current BH RR customers for rent?

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit

Well for lightning I think they give you a Motorola SBG6580 , or a UBEE Modem/wireless router combo. If you have anything lower then lightning they will most likely give you an old DOCSIS 2 modem. I could be wrong lol Remember Google is your friend if you want to do research on it. Amazon has great reviews on SB6141
--
Bakersfield Region Taft CA Brighthouse Customer Since 2003

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to eg0rd0

said by eg0rd0:

What is latest model Motorola modem available to current BH RR customers for rent?

You may get one of three different modems, Ubee, Arris or Moto and all are very capable.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~