join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to drew

Re: Intel to Kill Off Replaceable CPUs

Don't want to jump the gun, but this would be terrible if it were true, and it could only happen if there wasn't any competition. So here's hoping AMD pulls its head out of its ass and starts competing properly ASAP.l
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

do you think the that enthusiasts spend enough money to even give this a tad bit of weight? I don't think so anymore, i think computing for the general masses will be more mobile and therefore, people like us or who build their own computers, will not even be an afterthought.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Blockfire:

do you think the that enthusiasts spend enough money to even give this a tad bit of weight? I don't think so anymore, i think computing for the general masses will be more mobile and therefore, people like us or who build their own computers, will not even be an afterthought.

What irks me about this, is that you now have two points of failure; the Mobo, and the CPU. If one breaks then the other is toast, it's going to be pretty wasteful if you consider the price of a top end CPU.

Secondly this type of thinking is typical monopolist garbage, and we wouldn't be having this conversation if AMD was a valid competitor in the high end market.

Hopefully this is not the future.

If Intel does go this route, hopefully there will still be room for an enthusiast segment, and the Motherboard manufacturers will be be able to cut a bargain... or AMD or someone else (Nvidia?) will be able to supply the enthusiast market.
--

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

said by El Quintron:

What irks me about this, is that you now have two points of failure; the Mobo, and the CPU. If one breaks then the other is toast, it's going to be pretty wasteful if you consider the price of a top end CPU.

this is what they want, means they make more money selling parts to everyone instead of selling them peicemeal to enthusiasts.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blockfire

said by Blockfire:

Yeah! Screw that annual $12.5 billion pocket change!

/s

serious?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by serge87:

said by Blockfire:

Yeah! Screw that annual $12.5 billion pocket change!

/s

serious?

I think this was cleared up as a rumour upthread... but thanks for posting the link. That's a serious chunk of change, and I'm glad we're non-negotiable part of the market.
--