Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MoReInPuT

join:2009-03-17
NY

1 edit

Acer Aspire One AOD270 *HELP*

I wanted to pick up a netbook for browsing the net, watching movies and some old games. Also for traveling and typing papers etc.

I was looking at this one:

Acer Aspire One AOD270
»amzn.com/B006ITMC7Q

I would consider upgrading it to to a standard Windows 7, 2GB of Ram and perhaps a 720GB 7200rpm hdd.

Any input on this purchase?

Thank you,

MoreInput

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34215262

Little cheaper here with f/s.

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to MoReInPuT
It won't be an easy upgrade. In order to remove the back cover you will have to remove the keyboard which isn't easy to remove. Not sure how enjoyable it will be watching movies on a 10inch screen.

Personally, I would skip the HDD completely and put in a cheap SSD. It's not like the thing isn't slow enough already. The last thing you want is to have a HDD slow it down even more. On more than one occasion I wanted to smash the thing to oblivion while working on it because it's so slow. The HDD activity LED would be lit constantly and the lag is really intolerable when it happens.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
reply to MoReInPuT
According to the spec's on newgg's website max RAM is 1 GB. I'd be looking for something with a little more giddy up to watch hi rez movies on.

Chrno

The max RAM capacity should be 2GB. I have done multiple upgrades on this SKU.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Cool

MoReInPuT

NY
Thank you for the help! I'm guessing I can only upgrade to a 32bit version not a 64bit version of Windows 7?

Chrno

The N2600 is a 64bit processor so yes, you can upgrade the OS to a 64bit OS but in this case, it would be pointless:
1. You can't take advantage of the extra memory a 64bit OS will provide
2. A 64bit OS leaves a bigger usage footprint on your hardware. The vars are now 64bit instead of 32bit which means more RAM is required and more HDD storage is required

MoReInPuT

NY
Thanks for your input! That makes sense as the max ram is only 2GB. Appreciate the help and hopefully this thread could help someone else as well. Thank you all again.

Cheers.

MoreInput

MoReInPuT

NY
reply to MoReInPuT
Real quick question... What do you think of this Acer Netbook instead.

Acer Aspire One AO725-0488 Volcano Black AMD Dual-Core Processor C-60 (1.00GHz) 11.6" 4GB DDR3 Memory 320GB HDD Netbook

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34215873

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

A quick look shows it to be the best value for what you get.

This review gives you an idea of what it rated in comparison to Intel offerings - it seems to be related betwwen the single core/dual core, and if money is of concern it maybe the best of all worlds.
»www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-C-60-N···6.0.html

However if you were looking at spending more money as in your first post to modify, the extent of your total price tag may help provide a reply of what is best for value/needs.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

reply to MoReInPuT
TBH, spend just a little more (100 bucks or so) and get a "real" laptop. By "real" laptop, I mean one that you can expand the ram, larger screen (avg. 15.6).

»www.microcenter.com/product/3939···n_Silver

Way more bang for your buck than a Netbook with a dinky size screen. For only $40 bucks more.
Watching movies on a 10" screen, might as well just use your phone.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to MoReInPuT
Wow, that one linked by Crash Gordon See Profile for $40 more, and an Intel i3, 6GB of ram and a 750GB HDD - priceless. Great value! But it isn't a netbook, it is a laptop if that affects your wants.

It does have the Intel HD3000 graphics instead of the newer HD4000 but for your needs I don't think that is a concern. Is it close enough to you and available without high transport costs might affect the purchase though?

I'm not in the US so it is hard to be up on the extra costs you incur.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

MoReInPuT

NY
reply to MoReInPuT
WOW Yeah that looks like a fantastic deal! =)

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to norwegian
I linked to the MicroCenter Web store, not to a specific location other than US. There is a Yonkers & LI/Westbury and a Patterson NJ location (go to that link above and select the closest store to ya). They may have even better specific deals.

I know it's not a netbook, but if it was MY money, I'm always looking for the biggest bang for my hard earned buck. For a low-budget laptop it's decent for the uses stated, AND can be upgraded (RAM and HDD/SSD) as also stated.

MoReInPuT

NY
reply to MoReInPuT
Thank you for all your help =)

norwegian
Premium
Outback

2 edits
Small netbook with power for long term as you are hinting.
I'd look at ASUS with an Intel or a more reputable company then upgrade when you are ready.

Here a the benchmark table to review processors.
»www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Pro···6.0.html

For example
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34230359

The dual core ATOM would be the best mobile CPU to look at, N550 is the starting point if you really want to research and review what these can be priced for.
»ark.intel.com/products/family/29035
--

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
reply to MoReInPuT
I have this netbook:

»www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=221483954

I really enjoyed it for what I needed it for... low weight, dual core, compact size for school... I upgraded to 4gb ram and threw in a 500gb WD Black drive. It fairs pretty well and I've even edited quite a few HDR pics on it with Photomatix/Photoshop Elements 10. I decided to upgrade to a 17" laptop with an i5.

OP, if you are interested, the Acer is my shop laptop but I can sell if you want. PM me

Cheers!