how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lorikr

join:2004-02-07
Lincoln, RI

New computer has wrong password

I recently hooked up a new computer. I wasn't aware it did not have wireless capability so I kept trying different things to hook it up. Finally I just did a system restore. When I tried to login after the system restore it wouldn't take the password. I tried a few days later and the password worked. I proceeded to use a wireless adapter and hooked it up - checked it online and everything worked. Hooked up the printer wirelessly and also fine. Now today go to login and the password doesn't work again. Check cap locks and it's not on, etc. Any idea what it could be? HP says the only way to use the computer is to do a system recovery. Thanks - Lori

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

If, after performing a restore, it took your log-in password correctly after powerup and the next time it wouldn't, I'd suspect something is not right with the system itself... possibly keyboard, RAM, or something in the drive or data processing hardware. One easy suggestion would be to try it with a different keyboard, on the off chance it's got a keying defect. Also, if you've been using a wireless keyboard, try it with a wired/USB keyboard.

Given that it's a 'new' system, how new is it and what are your return/exchange options?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lorikr

I don't have an answer for you but doesn't Win-7 ask for administrator password when you attempt to restore or run system recovery?

If it's still under warranty you can ask HP to send you a password reset disc or recovery disc.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to lorikr

Is it actual hibernating instead of shut down and requesting a different Password? You could try disabling hibernation and see if the problem persists.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

lorikr

join:2004-02-07
Lincoln, RI

When we put the password in red it says it not correct and then gives me the hint. I may try a system restore since it's brand new. Will I lose any preloaded stuff?