Search similar:

uniqs

Habboy
@184.71.164.x

Habboy

Anon

Just Got Turbo 50

Hi,

What can I do to optimize the potential of the new Turbo 50 high speed that Telus offers? I was just gonna upgrade to Turbo 25 but apparently, 50 just became available in my area and I got it yesterday.
anhloc
join:2009-12-11
Canada

anhloc

Make sure you're wired in.

Cat5e/6.

A short as possible phone cord from the gateway/modem to the wall/POTS splitter.

That's really it.

Habboy
@184.71.164.x

Habboy to Habboy

Anon

to Habboy
What about running WIFI....I dont have a computer that is close enough to plug in.

I have 802.11g wifi cards on my 2 PC's , guess I need 802.11n cards?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Habboy :

I have 802.11g wifi cards on my 2 PC's , guess I need 802.11n cards?

Good luck getting 50 Mbit/s out of 802.11n

Habboy
@184.71.164.x

Habboy

Anon

Ok, well, what do I need then?

I can only get the d/l speed direct wired??

tallguy11
join:2002-02-08
Lamont, AB

tallguy11 to pfak

to pfak
i get around 50mbit/s on my 802.11n network all the time and i live in a complex with lots of wireless interference... and im using the 2.4ghz range...
tallguy11

tallguy11 to Habboy

to Habboy
if u want real good speeds dont use the actiontec wireless... either try to get an alu modem from telus when they install it and use a router with 802.11n perferably with the 5ghz channels or hang another 802.11n router off of the actiontec and disable the routing features on the new router and use it as an access point... either way u should get your own router with the 5ghz channels to use for wireless. also make sure u upgrade the cards on the computers to 802.11n with 5ghz support

Habboy
@184.71.164.x

Habboy

Anon

Hmmm, my gf has a brand new laptop with 802.11n and we are getting 35-55mbp/s download speeds on hers, so, I dont think the Actiontec is the problem

I will upgrade the wifi on the HTPC and the other PC i guess

parallel_jay
join:2006-02-08
Edmonton, AB

parallel_jay

First understand that optimizing Wifi and optimizing your DSL connection are mutually exclusive things. Sounds more like you want to squeeze the most out of your Wifi to bring it inline with your connection speed.

While her wireless reports 35-55mbp/s download speeds, you won't be getting those speeds. The reported speed vs real world is usually a wide delta. Real world, with security enabled, I doubt you are pulling down more the 10-20Mbps.

I have a 802.11n wireless AP in the same room as my laptop, and have it reporting 130Mbps when connected. I get closer to speeds you'd call 50Mbps when transferring off my network. This speed falls off quickly as the laptop moves away from the AP. This also fluctuates due to the amount of wireless networks in my building. 140 unit apartment complexes have this kind of problem.

Want guaranteed speeds? Use a guaranteed system (wired). Wireless will fluctuate, and I had to do a decent amount of finagling to coax that speed out of my 802.11n connection.

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna to Habboy

to Habboy
Actiontec 1000h wireless actually impressed me, got me this:

Habboy
join:2012-11-27
Surrey, BC

Habboy to parallel_jay

to parallel_jay
Good points....I just wanted a BIG improvement over the basic high speed I had, moving to Turbo 50, which I do....just want MORE!!

I dunno how to utilize the 'wired' solution for my main computer as they are in completely different rooms....I guess Telus would charge to re-locate the router

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna

said by Habboy:

I dunno how to utilize the 'wired' solution for my main computer as they are in completely different rooms....I guess Telus would charge to re-locate the router

Some of the 500mbps powerline over ethernet devices might help you. But very hard to predict until you actually just try it in your house
Onetwo
join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB

Onetwo to Habboy

to Habboy
I dont have tubro 50 in my area yet, but Im curious what the price for just the internet is?
e_phils
join:2001-04-19
Canada

e_phils

said by Onetwo:

I dont have tubro 50 in my area yet, but Im curious what the price for just the internet is?

HS50 is $75 un-bundled. $70 if you have phone or another service.
TrainAss
join:2011-01-26
Canada

TrainAss

Is it only available in certain areas? I just checked telus.com and it's not listed on their site.

Or it is a non-Optik internet package?
TiberiusX
Premium Member
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB

TiberiusX

Premium Member

It is a soft launch, so I would expect it not to be listed quite yet and yes it may not be available it all areas. If you call up Telus I am sure they would be happy to do a check on your line to see if it is.

-Tiberius
TrainAss
Canada

TrainAss

said by TiberiusX:

It is a soft launch, so I would expect it not to be listed quite yet and yes it may not be available it all areas. If you call up Telus I am sure they would be happy to do a check on your line to see if it is.

-Tiberius

I'll do just that! Although, I have an ALU connected to a (TELUS) DLink and my own router. I saw another thread where the ALU doesn't have enough internal memory to fully support 50/10... So I need to figure out how to be able to use my own network equipment w/the Actiontech... or find a new modem that WILL support the higher speeds.

*sigh* Why can't ISPs have a set of equipment for those of us that like to be different?
TiberiusX
Premium Member
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB

TiberiusX

Premium Member

If you're talking about the potential QoS issue with the ALU, I personally would still try to use the ALU, see how it goes. I believe there is a modified firmware floating on the net somewhere that helps with the issue somewhat. Worst case one is forced to use the Actiontech for now.

To be honest, the lack of a pure modem or bridge mode support in the Actiontech is the only thing stopping me from giving Telus a whirl, specially if I could get this new 50 plan.

-Tiberius
e_phils
join:2001-04-19
Canada

e_phils to TrainAss

to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

said by TiberiusX:

-Tiberius

I'll do just that! Although, I have an ALU connected to a (TELUS) DLink and my own router. I saw another thread where the ALU doesn't have enough internal memory to fully support 50/10... So I need to figure out how to be able to use my own network equipment w/the Actiontech... or find a new modem that WILL support the higher speeds.

*sigh* Why can't ISPs have a set of equipment for those of us that like to be different?

The ALU will work perfectly fine with QoS on. I installed the modded firmware (has PhyR and SRA enabled) and disabled QoS.

It made a difference of about 0.5 to 0.7 megabits in speed tests using »vancouver.speedtest.telus.com

So even if you leave QoS on, there really isn't too huge of an impact on HS50.
TrainAss
Canada

TrainAss to TiberiusX

to TiberiusX
said by TiberiusX:

If you're talking about the potential QoS issue with the ALU, I personally would still try to use the ALU, see how it goes. I believe there is a modified firmware floating on the net somewhere that helps with the issue somewhat. Worst case one is forced to use the Actiontech for now.

To be honest, the lack of a pure modem or bridge mode support in the Actiontech is the only thing stopping me from giving Telus a whirl, specially if I could get this new 50 plan.

-Tiberius

That might keep me from the 50 plan as well.
TrainAss

TrainAss to e_phils

to e_phils
said by e_phils:

said by TrainAss:

said by TiberiusX:

-Tiberius

The ALU will work perfectly fine with QoS on. I installed the modded firmware (has PhyR and SRA enabled) and disabled QoS.

It made a difference of about 0.5 to 0.7 megabits in speed tests using »vancouver.speedtest.telus.com

So even if you leave QoS on, there really isn't too huge of an impact on HS50.

Good to know. I've done one firmware update on my ALU so far, that was last year. Might look for the new one and do it as well. Thanks!
zeroumus45
join:2012-02-20
Edmonton, AB

zeroumus45 to TrainAss

to TrainAss

EDIT, i run dual Wan with telus and shaw. looks like the speed test graphic got a little confused, but that was a test done with Telus turbo 50
BroadcastGuy5
join:2012-08-20

BroadcastGuy5 to Habboy

to Habboy
So far, impressed - even switching from 100 Meg Shaw connection... loving the upload speed!

FYI, using my Asus RT-N56U router instead of the Actiontec (which is only being used for TELUS TV via Gigabit Switch). I have GPON service in a MDU.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo

I had BB100 too for some time. I was nice from 3am to 11am.
BroadcastGuy5
join:2012-08-20

BroadcastGuy5

I was lucky enough not to have many slow downs with the BB100. I'm going to cross my fingers that TELUS releases a 100 Mbps connection for those with Fibre connections, sooner than later.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by BroadcastGuy5:

I was lucky enough not to have many slow downs with the BB100. I'm going to cross my fingers that TELUS releases a 100 Mbps connection for those with Fibre connections, sooner than later.

It a possibility.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo to BroadcastGuy5

to BroadcastGuy5
VDSL2 has been great for me. I will definitely upgrade everytime a new profile becomes available in my area.

winter
@telus.net

winter

Anon

Very happy with the service and install. I am in Richmond BC as well.

Habboy
join:2012-11-27
Surrey, BC

Habboy to Habboy

to Habboy

Ya, its awesome!!

MrTelusMan
@telus.net

MrTelusMan to Habboy

Anon

to Habboy
Finally got things working properly for my new Optik 50.

When I first has QoS issues after the initial install, the Tech said my line was reading over 100Mbps so the signal is very good. I hope that's a sign of things to come.