Login: admin
Password:
> adsl info
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 52956 Kbps, Downstream rate = 142712 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 12287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 76382 Kbps
>

I'm using the same Actiontec V1000H as before. Running the hacked firmware with Bridge mode on version 31.30L.48

I had to do a factory reset to put the modem back into it's default settings because I have messed around with the ADSL profiles in the modem a bit too much and was getting massive packetloss when they first turned it on.

So according to the estimate on the modem this thing could go up to 140Mbps down and 50Mbps upload with the signal I get. Whoa.
bornav
join:2003-06-24
Richmond, BC

bornav

i also had Optik50 installed in Richmond, BC

V1000...profile was changed only. no other changes to installation or home.

Mindman
join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC

Mindman

ugh these 50 mbps threads are making my jealous .. im stuck on 15mbps package.. kinda sux

Ayzee
join:2010-03-26
canada

Ayzee

Be happy you have 15....I'm stuck on 6mbit.

I was told by a tech today Optic isn't even going to be in my City until 2014.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Habboy

MVM

to Habboy
OK with upload speeds like that you have my interest as with cloud computing comes a requirement of upload speeds. When will this be available in SE Calgary?

Blake
Mindman
Merritt, BC

Mindman to Ayzee

to Ayzee
damn that sucks... im still cant get optic and im not sure when they will have it available to me.. what city do you live in?
TierX
join:2009-01-20
Canada

TierX to Link Logger

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

OK with upload speeds like that you have my interest as with cloud computing comes a requirement of upload speeds. When will this be available in SE Calgary?

Blake

It launched in AB and BC in November.
Vulcan
join:2011-01-15
Edmonton, AB

Vulcan

Telus is coming by on Saturday to upgrade me from Optik 25 to Optik 50.

Gpon
@telus.net

Gpon to Link Logger

Anon

to Link Logger
In Calgary SE

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I'll be calling Telus today and see how much to replace my Shaw stuff as that is killer performance.

Blake
Vulcan
join:2011-01-15
Edmonton, AB

Vulcan to Habboy

to Habboy
Just got my upgrade done.

52.77 down
11.31 up
5 ms ping

Awesome!

fasterrabbit
@telus.net

fasterrabbit

Anon

i havent found a way to max out the 50 Mb connection yet. The highest I have hit (other than speed tests which is 51 mb) is 45 Mb.

This is just awesome speed.
fasterrabbit

fasterrabbit

Anon

1.5 hours to download 25 GB
Mindman
Merritt, BC

Mindman to Habboy

to Habboy
Well i keep trying to get either 25mbps or 50mbps.. last agent said 50mbps was available to me then all of a sudden came back and said sorry no ports are available... i have been stuck on 15mbps for 2-3 years almost.
openwire
join:2012-12-28
Fort St John, BC

openwire to Habboy

to Habboy
Oh to have a loop length less than ~600m and to be on 24 Ga. cable! The next time I buy a place I'm going to do it based the shortest possible cable distance from the RDAC or the availability of GPON in the neighbourhood

serioslee
@telus.net

serioslee to Habboy

Anon

to Habboy
Got 50Mb installed 4 days ago, the first day I was hitting 50Mb as advertised from Usenet and a few torrents but things have gradually started to peek at the old 25Mb cap, but i'm still hitting 10Mb upload.

I wasn't sure if there was a problem or not, but I hit up the live chat and they are sending out a tech tomorrow morning to switch me over from the V1000H to the V2000. From reading around, it's not really necessary, so who knows what will happen. I have just the Internet from Telus, no TV or phone.
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

The wireless on the Actiontech is quite poor. I routinely get less than 20mb/s even though when wired I get 52mb/s and I'm roughly 15 ft away on the same level. Traditionally ISP's send out shitty hardware that's why I'm wondering if Telus might bite itself in the foot when 50 roles out to everyone as they may get a lot of complaints that the Actiontech isn't able to deliver anywhere near 50 wirelessly.
anhloc
join:2009-12-11
Canada

anhloc

TELUS (and no other ISP) will guarantee full speeds on wireless.

Highest I've gotten on the Actiontech (2.4GHz, 40MHz bandwidth) was 38Mb/s. 20MHz I'd get around 29Mb/s.

On my Netgear WNDR4000 (5GHz, 3x3 MIMO) WLAN transfers go at around 15MB/s (big B,) so I'm getting around 120-ish Mb/s. On a Speedtest, I'll get around 53Mb/s from TELUS.

So let's say TELUS offered 200Mb/s internet service (ignore that I'm not on GPON, sadly ETTS would cap at 100Mb/s) and even with my 5GHz wireless, I couldn't get the max speed wirelessly. And I can't hold TELUS responsible for that.
WhosTheBosch

WhosTheBosch

said by anhloc:

TELUS (and no other ISP) will guarantee full speeds on wireless... And I can't hold TELUS responsible for that.

Actually, you can. If Telus forces you to use their all in one router with wireless then it should have high enough quality hardware parts to support the speeds it offers. Sadly, they send out a router that's not able to support the 50 profile wirelessly.
meraki
join:2008-04-10
V3M 0C6

meraki to Habboy

to Habboy

Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch
said by WhosTheBosch:

said by anhloc:

TELUS (and no other ISP) will guarantee full speeds on wireless... And I can't hold TELUS responsible for that.

Actually, you can. If Telus forces you to use their all in one router with wireless then it should have high enough quality hardware parts to support the speeds it offers. Sadly, they send out a router that's not able to support the 50 profile wirelessly.

Wireless is susceptible to interference. if you have an significant amount of device running @ 2.4ghz, you will run into trouble. Did what I did. I turn off the wireless in the actiontech and use my own router as an AP. Problem solved.
fatguy
join:2006-07-21
Edmonton, AB

fatguy to Vulcan

to Vulcan
...that's about what i have on mine now, also in Edm.

51.6, 11.2, 4ms

Iirc my 25 line was ~23.8, ~2.8, & 9 or 10ms......will give it a serious test run w/ usenet today. The 50 is still on v1000h & they did it remotely....i called Sunday noon and i checked at 0700 this morning and i was up and running.

Of course there has to be a rub....it's my understanding that the cap will be 400Gb as on Feb 1? Been averaging 375-425Gb/month on the 25....i guess im doomed then? higher speed will mean more bandwidth. What other options are there for higher or no cap at these speeds in Edm?

Thx & rgds.
WhosTheBosch

WhosTheBosch to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

Wireless is susceptible to interference. if you have an significant amount of device running @ 2.4ghz, you will run into trouble. Did what I did. I turn off the wireless in the actiontech and use my own router as an AP. Problem solved.

I agree with you on interference, however the fact Telus gives out a third rate modem with hardware that struggles to keep a strong signal doesn't help. I'm also not sure how it will hold up if anything over 50mb is offered based on my testing.

Adding a third party AP is a good step, however double NAT is not. The only thing from stopping Telus from being the best ISP is a really good modem with bridging capability and non-crippled firmware!

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by WhosTheBosch:

said by Symtex:

I agree with you on interference, however the fact Telus gives out a third rate modem with hardware that struggles to keep a strong signal doesn't help. I'm also not sure how it will hold up if anything over 50mb is offered based on my testing.

Adding a third party AP is a good step, however double NAT is not. The only thing from stopping Telus from being the best ISP is a really good modem with bridging capability and non-crippled firmware!

Hardware was the biggest issue for me as well. Multiple Actiontec failures was enough for me to switch. Single point of failure for all TV and internet doesn't seem all that smart.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

you still have single points of failure...
if the modem dies, you don't have either service
if the lines are cut, you don't have service
tablo
join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB

tablo to Habboy

to Habboy

Wow... getting quite jealous of you guys! I have Shaw's BB50 (50/3) package. Those are quite low pings and great upload speeds! I'm guessing there still are ways to use my RT-N16 router with the Actiontech modem...
fatguy
join:2006-07-21
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

fatguy

....this is the first time since my Netspeed 'toaster' that i have exceeded the rated speeds of the line.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to Symtex

to Symtex
Symtex, does anyone in management at Telus know how dissatisfied many users are with the actiontech? It's been proven by a number of people on this board that the actiontech is not the only modem that works, even at HS 50 rates. A lot of people complain about the actiontech on this board, as well as on "the other board". Are these complaints being blatantly ignored or are they not getting to the right people?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by bimmerdriver:

Symtex, does anyone in management at Telus know how dissatisfied many users are with the actiontech? It's been proven by a number of people on this board that the actiontech is not the only modem that works, even at HS 50 rates. A lot of people complain about the actiontech on this board, as well as on "the other board". Are these complaints being blatantly ignored or are they not getting to the right people?

You are only representing a very small minorities of user when you look at the overall subscriber base. The modem portion of the Actiontech is actually pretty good. Its the router part that I think most user don't like.

There is many factor that goes into these decision and I don't know all of them so its hard for me to comment on that. As an Actiontech 2000 users, I disable the wireless portion and use my own AP. I can live with that.

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed

Premium Member

I agree with bimmer, but totally understand - you have CSR's, not versed in everything networking, struggling to fix someone's aberrant setup, because that user read on a forum that the aio is a piece so he/she should have discrete modem/router. But not knowing why that is or how to setup the gear and more importantly, diagnose and fix it, should something go wrong.

The AIO's make for less PEBKAC.