spc
uniqs

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to cchheett

to cchheett

Re: Need basic info on Fog lights.

My MBenz has factory yellow fog lights and they don't blind anyone.

Driving lights are more blinding than properly installed fog lights.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Back when cars had four sealed-beam headlights, we used to replace the high beams with 200,000 candlepower aircraft landing lights. Not only would that blind oncoming drivers, birds sleeping in nearby trees would wake up because they thought it was daytime.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Bob4:

Back when cars had four sealed-beam headlights, we used to replace the high beams with 200,000 candlepower aircraft landing lights. Not only would that blind oncoming drivers, birds sleeping in nearby trees would wake up because they thought it was daytime.

my old sunbird had 4 identical lights, the high beam lights had a never used low beam filament and the low beams had a never used high beam filament, but GM was kind enough to have both filaments in all 4 lights wired into the harness and with mild modification you could light all 4 bulbs as high beams.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Back when cars had four sealed-beam headlights, we used to replace the high beams with 200,000 candlepower aircraft landing lights.

We fitted using the Q-Beams for 300,000 CP output

Brinkmann Super Spot 300,000 CP bulb.
»www.brinkmann.net/parts/ ··· 2-1719-0

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Back when cars had four sealed-beam headlights, we used to replace the high beams with 200,000 candlepower aircraft landing lights.

When I was a kid, I remember having a neighbor who did the same thing. He was a cop.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to TheTechGuru

Mod

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

My MBenz has factory yellow fog lights and they don't blind anyone.

Driving lights are more blinding than properly installed fog lights.

That is my experience also. My Dodge Sprinter (Mercedes van) has factory installed fog lights. They do not blind oncoming traffic. I normally have them on whenever the lights are on. Although I rarely drive in fog I find them very useful to light up the side of the road all the way to the fence line. We have a high deer population in this area and I find the fog lights to be very useful in spotting them at night when I can't be using my brights.

I hate driving lights because they always blind me.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
Click for full size
said by telco_mtl:

said by Bob4:

my old sunbird had 4 identical lights, the high beam lights had a never used low beam filament and the low beams had a never used high beam filament, but GM was kind enough to have both filaments in all 4 lights wired into the harness and with mild modification you could light all 4 bulbs as high beams.

you mean like this?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

Click for full size
Like this!
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by telco_mtl:

said by Bob4:

you mean like this?

yes!!!!!!

those cars were great, when the low beams burned out all you had to do was swap bulbs, the low light had a never used high filament and vice versa!

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
This article does a nice job of explaining the subject;
»www.danielsternlighting. ··· mps.html

I know when people come at me with driving lights on, they are sometimes poorly aimed and so bright I'm forced to put on my brights just to see the road. I'm thinking of getting driving lights just to use as as a defensive measure only when I encounter these drivers.