how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hokie83vb
Premium
join:2010-12-15

[VA] Repeatedly losing connection

For the last three days we have repeatedly lost our internet connection. Since we also have Cox telephone service this has been especially disruptive.

Since resetting the modem will take care of the problem, I am hesitant to call first level tech support without a better idea of what is going on. They tend to consider the problem solved once the connection is restored, but we can't afford to have the telephone dead for hours until we realize that our connection has been lost.

We are leasing a Motorola SBV5222 model modem. When we lose the connection the Upstream light blinks repeatedly and never goes solid.

Right now, the modem signal values are:

Downstream Value
Frequency 555000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 0 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time
this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new
reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 23192000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 597
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 41 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[5] 16QAM

Signal Stats Value
Total Unerrored Codewords 60377871
Total Correctable Codewords 0
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 0

The log indicates repeated "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" errors.

Any advice is much appreciated.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

Did you just change modems by any chance?

hokie83vb
Premium
reply to hokie83vb

No, we have had this modem for quite awhile (over a year?)

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Can you PM me the MAC address? I think the one I have may be out of date.

hokie83vb
Premium
reply to hokie83vb

I am actually posting this on behalf of a friend. Any info you from me previously won't apply.

In any case I am at work. I will send the MAC address this afternoon.

Thanks for yor attention on this.

hokie83vb
Premium

I just sent you a message with the MAC info. Sorry it took so long, but when I got there, he didn't have any connectivity and it took several reboots to get it back.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Have you done any testing without the router or tried just rebooting the router to see if that clears it up?

hokie83vb
Premium

I have done dozens of reboots of modem, router and computer. On one occasion repeated reboots of the modem didn't do anything, but when I rebooted the router, everything then reset correctly.

On the other hand, the first day this happened, I took the router out of the loop and it didn't help.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Don't forget with an eMTA modem disconnecting power doesn't reset it either due to the battery backup. There's a little reset button on the back if you haven't been using that.

Dina

@cox.net
reply to hokie83vb

Same thing happened to me. I had to unplug everything and restart several times over the past few days. I emailed COX tech support and got a message they didn't handle connection issues.

hokie83vb
Premium
reply to CoxTech1

It now day 6 of daily outages.

I remove the battery when I reset the modem, so that not a problem.

Just how do I get any one at Cox to acknowledge that it is unacceptable to lose your phone service everyday?

Even if I can eventually get the service back after repeated reboots, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Ready to cancel the telphone service.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well really there is three possible problem's that are causing your issue. One is there is a problem home side with wiring. Two the modem it's self is having problem's, and need's to be replaced. Three there is a local cox issue in your area that need's a fixing. Personally I think your issue is One or Two. Which I suggest having a tech visit. Call cox tell them your having issue's with the eMTA modem, and think it may need to be replaced. Telling them this, should be in the notes to the tech who is sent out, and should have a replacement eMTA modem on hand. Also make sure the tech checks signal level's, to make sure there isn't a line issue that is the cause of the problem.

tekjunkie
Serious Lurker
Premium
join:2005-12-06
Newport News, VA
reply to hokie83vb

CoxTech1 or hokie83vb has there been a service call or a tech sent out? can you PM me the mac and provide as much detail as you have. Such as is the time of day consistent.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
reply to hokie83vb

I would agree that a service call is a good next step, especially if you're also losing phone service.

hokie83vb
Premium

Any advice on calling Cox and getting them to agree to send someone out? My experience so far has been I have to go through a 10-20 min session with the automated systems and then maybe get to speak to a human. If at any point in this process the modem makes a connection they consider it fixed.

The one technician I spoke with said that I should wait to see if it happens again and wouldn't schedule a visit.

Since there seems to be a chance that the modem is bad should I just take to a service center and request a replacement?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

If you continue to have problems with that let me know and I'll see what I can setup from here.