I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to CanadianRip

Premium Member

to CanadianRip

Re: Big loser!

The problem with being obese is Doctors are refusing to treat us. I have arthritis and will need surgery in the future (knees replaced, both feet and ankles fused, and hip replacement), this is why I need to lose weight. Anytime, I talk to my doctor about a health problem I am having, he says it will go away when you lose the weight. If not, then he'll look into it.

"The smart thing to do is not let yourself get obese in the first place." In a perfect world, but this is not a perfect world. Do you think I enjoy being over weight? Being in pain all the time? I put work before my health, because I was so afraid of not being able to keep a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on the table no matter how bad I was treated. Then I had to leave work for the first time (for reasons other than going to a new job) since I was 11 years old, I was depressed. At 11 it was a paper route with babysitting when I was a little older. At 15 it was a part-time job at a small business working 5 days a week after school and Saturdays all day (no Sunday shopping in those days). Worked through high school and College, no student loans for me. In the past I have only been out of work a month or two when between jobs.

But, that is my problem to sort out. My point is depression, being laid up in pain and having health problems; obesity can sneak up on you.

Bariatric surgery is being pushed heavily by the government because it is being sold as a cure for Type 2 Diabetes, but I was always taught that once you have Type 2 Diabetes you will always have it. You can't cure it, you can only control it. That it is a cure is the main point that was being discussed at our info session at the hospital. Bariatric clinics are popping up at hospitals outside of Ottawa and Toronto now. You still have to go to Ottawa or Toronto to get the surgery. I think this is why more doctors are referring their patients to Bariatric clinics.