join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to hambone42

Re: Structured wiring questions for new (old) home

#1) RG-59. While RG-59 isn't as desirable as RG-6, it doesn't mean a total gut job is required. If it was done neatly and the runs aren't too long (say over 100'), then I would probably leave it be until a remodel.

#2) You already have cat 5e. Cat 6 is overkill for 99.5% of us. I'd use what you have on hand first.

Fishing walls is a PITA. I've been doing it professionally for decades, and it never seems to get any easier. It's always a great unknown. Personally, I hate it. Sometimes everything is just as smooth as silk. Other times, a job that you think would be 10 minutes ends up taking 3 hours.
Every few years, someone comes out with some new product that's supposed to be the panacea of wall fishing. For instance d'versabits: When those came out, they were touted as the "be-all end-all". It turns out they have a propensity to go wild in the walls and are also attracted to pipes and wires in much the same way as tornadoes are attracted to trailer parks.
I still carry them on the truck, but they rarely see daylight.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by nunya:

Fishing walls is a PITA. I've been doing it professionally for decades, and it never seems to get any easier. It's always a great unknown. Personally, I hate it. Sometimes everything is just as smooth as silk. Other times, a job that you think would be 10 minutes ends up taking 3 hours.

I'm thinking a dream job would be fishing where the terms are time & materials. I would hate to bid a job where fishing would be required.

said by nunya:

Every few years, someone comes out with some new product that's supposed to be the panacea of wall fishing. For instance d'versabits: ...
I still carry them on the truck, but they rarely see daylight.

I agree. Besides a fish tape, most of the tools for fishing can be found around the house or any hardware store. I have a balloon-framed house so I've had it easy. Working in newer construction, it's usually easier to cut a hole in the wall and patch it. I have never used a really long bit, just a wood bit in an 18" extension with my arm stuck as far into the wall as possible.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb