uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

UltraTV "Video processor reset detected"

For a few weeks now, my gateway seems to reset itself randomly, causing all the media players to completely lose connection and thus TV for about 4-5 minutes. It seems to happen once a day, sometimes twice, but I've seen it go as long as 3-4 days without a reset. I'm assuming this isn't normal and there probably isn't anything I can do about it short of getting the gateway replaced... but has anyone else experienced this? It'll reset at random times of the day.. seems most often in the mid afternoon though. Every time it resets, I see the following 3 items in my logs:

11/23/2012 20:01 71000400 6 2-Way OK, UCID 10

11/23/2012 20:01 71000402 5 Cannot forward 2-Way traffic, NACO 1, Max CPE 10, eSTB Link 1

11/23/2012 20:01 2417164303 4 Video processor reset detected

Looking at the short list of logs that are kept, it's happened every day except for a few exceptions, where it went 2 days without randomly resetting. Any ideas? Or just call support or contact WOW_Dan?

gatownsend

join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

Re: UltraTV "Video processor reset detected"

I haven't experienced this problem. I just logged into my Gateway and checked the log. The were only two entries there: one from was from 11/22 when I had to reboot everything after the power went out and it was flaky when the power came back on and one from today that had to do with a denial by the firewall. The only thing you can probably try on your own is resetting everything yourself. When they did my install, they told me if I ever had to reset it to unplug each media player, and then use the reset button on the back to reset the gateway. They said wait several minutes for the gateway to reboot before plugging in the players and do them one at a time. I have only had to do that once, but it did improve things when I was having problems after the power outage I mentioned above.

~Gary

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

I've tried that with everything so far, because like you stated, it's pretty much all you can do on your own, but thanks for the input! For reference, those logs I posted are from the built in arris modem page, »192.168.100.1 instead of the gateway admin page... which pretty much has useless.. non informing logs as far as I've noticed.

Clocker1000

join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast
reply to AlexE4

Link to Ultra introduction thread: »Re: WOW! Introduces Ultra TV!

And to think they had a 'soft launch' and 'waiting list' for Ultra TV users to ensure the product was 'right' before letting the masses deal with it. How sad. I really had higher expectations from WOW and am so glad I investigated before jumping back to them.

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to AlexE4

Looking at mine, that trinity of logs occurred on 10/30, 10/31, 11/05, 11/08, 11/14, 11/15 and lastly on 11/22.

Most of mine occurred around between midnight and 1:30 AM so I haven't noticed them happening.

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
reply to AlexE4

So maybe it isn't just me! Yours are at least occurring at a time when you don't notice though.. hopefully WOW_Dan could shed some light on this?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:27
reply to AlexE4

The gateway has multiple components inside of it. This message indicates that the video portion of the gateway reset for some reason. I've only ever seen this message when I personally do a remote reboot of the video portion, I've never seen it happen on it's own like this. Can you try pulling the battery out of the front of the gateway and pulling the power cable out of the back to do a complete reboot of the system? If you don't have phone service, try keeping the battery out of it for the time being and see if it continues to happen. The battery is only in place to keep phone service online in the case of a power outage, and isn't required if you don't have phone.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

gatownsend

join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH
reply to AlexE4

said by AlexE4:

I've tried that with everything so far, because like you stated, it's pretty much all you can do on your own, but thanks for the input! For reference, those logs I posted are from the built in arris modem page, »192.168.100.1 instead of the gateway admin page... which pretty much has useless.. non informing logs as far as I've noticed.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware (or had forgotten) that page exists. I went into mine to have a peek. As of right now, mine has events from 11/13 through 11/30. From 11/13 to 11/14 there are multiple time sync errors (all of them happened over about a 3 hour period starting just before midnight). I have the first and third errors you listed in the first post, but not the second one "cannot forward 2-way traffic". Also, the video processor reset only shows up 3 times, and I believe one of them was when the power was shut off for some construction, the second was a power outage and the third was me resetting the thing to straighten it out after the power outage (none of the media players would connect).

Probably not much help, but I figured I'd put it out here since I looked. Have you gotten it resolved yet? If not, I'd call and have a tech come out. Maybe there's something wrong with the gateway.

Good luck,

Gary

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to WOW_Dan

Thanks for the response Dan, I've tried pulling the battery and power cord to do the full reset a few times now. It hasn't stopped the issue from occurring. I can take the battery out and leave it out though, as I do not have phone service. I'll let you know if it fixes the issue. The video processor reset occurred again twice on the 1st, and twice on the 29th most recently. Nothing yesterday or today.. yet.

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
reply to WOW_Dan

Just had another video processor reset, battery has been out for a day now. What should I try from here Dan?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by AlexE4:

Just had another video processor reset, battery has been out for a day now. What should I try from here Dan?

I was looking at your gateway, and I noticed it wasn't talking back to the CMTS like it should be. I'm not sure if it was on your side that was the problem or on the CMTS side. I made a quick change, and I saw your gateway go into 2-way status within about a minute or so, so I'm thinking that issue was not on your gateway. I suspect the state it was in might have been causing it to reboot itself every so often to try and correct what it knew wasn't right. Keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it happens again, I'm hoping what I did may have fixed the problem.
--
Dan Della Terza
CMTS Operations Engineer

Mattom

@wideopenwest.com

I get the same thing except mine resets every night usually around 04:00 hours. Kind of a pain cause I'm usually watching Netflix or HBO Go around that time.
Dan, is it possible for you to take a peek at my Arris gateway as well?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by Mattom :

I get the same thing except mine resets every night usually around 04:00 hours. Kind of a pain cause I'm usually watching Netflix or HBO Go around that time.
Dan, is it possible for you to take a peek at my Arris gateway as well?

I can take a look at it if you send me your account number, phone number, and the name on your account in a private message.
--
Dan Della Terza
CMTS Operations Engineer

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
reply to AlexE4

Hey Dan, still getting video processor resets, one yesterday at 8:23, one the day before at 8:13. Pretty close to the same time, anything else you/I can do to troubleshoot this?

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Also, you previously mentioned that this error is only when the video portion of the gateway resets... but it happened right now as I was browsing this forum and at the same time watching a show recorded on the DVR. Both the internet dropped out during the reset and the media player shows that it "Cannot communicate with the Media Gateway, Please check your cable connection". It appears to effect both internet and video services when the reset occurs.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

I took another look at the gateway, and I just don't see anything wrong with it from my side. I think at this point I have to recommend replacing the gateway unit, as it seems like a hardware failure in the gateway.

Smuj

join:2012-12-12
Clawson, MI

Getting the exact same issues on my gateway, and it's already been replaced once for the rebooting issue. So I don't think it is the gateway's fault at this point. Is there anything you can look at? This things reboots at least 2-3 times a day, and it's been happening since I got it a few months ago.

zwendyjo

join:2012-06-28
Troy, MI
reply to AlexE4

I don't know if this will help either of you with the rebooting issue. But I had my gateway replaced several times; 2x just this month because mine would reboot every five minutes (frustrating to say the least). I finally determined I had some update to my Kaspersky Internet Security software just before the last 'episode' started, it would only happen when my laptop was on surfing the net, etc.; not anyone elses; but would keep doing it even if I shut off my computer. I uninstalled that software; and so far it has been since Monday, and no resets at all (except one I had to do to restore VOD service) but nothing on its own. I don't know if somehow something in the antivirus software was causing it for sure; but consideirng it hasn't happened at all since I removed it; I'm really leaning toward it. I'm not 'techy' enough to know why this might happen; but thought I would share in case it is of any help to anyone else. The WOW tech and the 'NOC' or whatever they are called he talked to that was last here assured me there was no way the antivirus would be causing that; but since it has been uninstalled and it hasn't happened once, I'm really thinking it does/did.

baess

join:2011-01-28

said by zwendyjo:

I don't know if somehow something in the antivirus software was causing it for sure; but consideirng it hasn't happened at all since I removed it; I'm really leaning toward it.

If it works...hopefully you installed another Antivirus. If not, try Microsoft Security Essentials.

AlexE4

Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
reply to AlexE4

Well I don't actually live at the house that's having this problem, it's actually my parents home but I'm finishing up my last year of a BA in compsci currently so I do all the tech work for them... and this problem was assigned to me to solve. I'll go ahead and get the gateway replaced while I'm here for the holidays but honestly, I'd rather have them live with this issue than uninstall SEP and malwarebytes that I've set them up with on the desktop and various laptops.... that would mean absolute disaster and about 5 phone calls a week while I'm back at school to get rid of viruses. Thanks for the help though Dan, hopefully a replacement gateway will fix these issues!

Smuj

join:2012-12-12
Clawson, MI
reply to zwendyjo

Antivirus is definitely not the issue. I run Microsoft's Security Essentials, and I've had both the gateway and the receivers reset, even when the computer is shut down for the evening.
Tonight it's happened twice within 5 minutes...getting very annoyed...

ChimaeraB

join:2013-02-10
reply to AlexE4

Just wanted to chime in saying I'm having the same problem. It's been going on for a while now. I'll keep coming back here to see if there is a resolution.