Mead, WA

2 edits

2 recommendations

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Motorola Modem Firmware update.

Just noticed my Motorola SB 6141 got a firmware update today to
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8 SCMO1-nosh.
I thought Comcast only did those at night? according to the logs my was done at 11:31 AM today.

------------
Mod note:
See also --> »New firmware for Motorola modems?
~sorto'

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: Firmware update.

haven't received it here yet, and can't force a renew right now (work in progress) I'll try in the morning, if not before.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

jaynick to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Interesting....after reading this I power cycled mine and got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Just noticed my Motorola SB 6141 got a firmware update today to
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8 SCMO1-nosh.
I thought Comcast only did those at night? according to the logs my was done at 11:31 AM today.

My SB6121 got the new firmware very early this morning (it was still dark, so it happened at night for me).

said by SB6121 :

Nov 26 2012 03:11:57   6-Notice   E112.0   SW download Successful - Via Config file

Nov 26 2012 03:09:55   6-Notice   E102.0   SW Download INIT - Via Config file   d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm

ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
Rebooted my 6120 and got it.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Mine got it today, while Comcast was messing with my modem to fix my speed tier issue. I noticed the reboots and config file in the log, never thought to check the version number .

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Anyone know what is supposed to be fixed or is new with this firmware?

Edit:Ok found it here:
»Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

It probably addresses all the useless error message being reported in the log.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Got it after a reset/reboot from the config page.
SteveTeow
Premium Member
join:2009-01-06
Voorhees, NJ

1 recommendation

SteveTeow to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Yeah, new firmware 1.0.6.8 was released on early morning of 11/26/12.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by SteveTeow:

Yeah, new firmware 1.0.6.8 was released on early morning of 11/26/12.

Has it been released in all areas (including the Freedom Region) now?

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

Unfortunately it does not fix the "offline" modem status issue.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Didn't know that was an issue. It doesn't seem to fix the MIMO and TVL errors in the log either though.
SteveTeow
Premium Member
join:2009-01-06
Voorhees, NJ

SteveTeow to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Yes, Freedom Region has it too. It's released nationally.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by SteveTeow:

Yes, Freedom Region has it too. It's released nationally.

OK, thanks, I'll reboot my SB6121 modem tonight then.

whatisit4
@comcast.net

whatisit4 to Wayne99021

Anon

to Wayne99021
I got the update yesterday. Why the update and what does it do for the connection????
Why does everyone get so excited about each new update? Is there any evidence/info on what has been improved???? Just asking!

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by whatisit4 :

I got the update yesterday. Why the update and what does it do for the connection????
Why does everyone get so excited about each new update? Is there any evidence/info on what has been improved???? Just asking!

Read the thread. If it doesn't make any sense to you, then don't worry about it. »Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
Don't worry, Moto released 1.0.6.10 on 11/12/2012. Comcast might roll it out it in a couple months.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

Didn't know that was an issue. It doesn't seem to fix the MIMO and TVL errors in the log either though.

The MIMO and TLV-11 log entries are more likely to be config issues than a problem with the modem firmware (but since DOCSIS modem config files are such a hush-hush thing, there is no way to know for sure what those log entries really mean).

The only time I see those log entries is immediately after a boot when the config file gets activated. It has been a day and a half since my SB6121 logged the above entries (just after the firmware update reboot), and there have been no new log entries since then. Are you experiencing a problem that is related to the MIMO and TLV-11 log entries?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Wayne99021

MVM

to Wayne99021
The only real change in 1.0.6.8 is that if one of the upstream channels hits the maximum transit level, and the CMTS still asks for more, it will now just drop that channel instead of rebooting.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
Yup seeing a firmware update myself for my SB6121 at around 2pm Monday afternoon.
Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 2012 15:35:46
said by SB6121 :

Nov 26 2012 14:00:13 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file
Nov 26 2012 13:58:57 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to andyross

to andyross
What's funny is that I'm still having that issue with that Cable Modem Status displaying "OFFLINE" even when it actually isn't and I'm able to browse the web.

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

What's funny is that I'm still having that issue with that Cable Modem Status displaying "OFFLINE" even when it actually isn't and I'm able to browse the web.

This is a known bug in 1.0.6.x. You can reboot the cable modem (do not reset to factory defaults) and the issue should go away. It usually happens if one of your upstream channels is in Other or T4 Timeout state, or possibly was in the past, but I've also seen it reported when all upstream channels are negotiated fine. I can provide historic reference posts/details if need be.
koitsu

koitsu to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
Neither the MIMO nor the TLV-11 log entries indicate any actual problem.

I can't explain the technical details of the MIMO message but it's harmless.

The TLV-11 message indicates that there's just some SNMP MIB OID that is trying to be looked up (probably by the CMTS, or by Comcast's own systems) that doesn't exist on this firmware (but may exist in older ones). The OID isn't provided so I can't look it up in a MIB tree to find out what it is. I started seeing this with 1.0.6.6 or thereabouts, and like the MIMO message, it's harmless.

I should note to folks reading this thread I've been testing 1.0.6.8 for Comcast since 2012/09/25 and I have not seen any problems. If anything it's better -- see the 2nd bullet item in the 1.0.6.8 changelog (I can confirm this was a problem in 1.0.6.6 which is now fixed -- if it happens, modem goes into TCS Partial Service mode but continues to operate fine, just with one missing upstream bonded channel).

The MIO and TLV messages are normal at this point. They do not indicate anything is wrong with your Internet connection (despite what you might find on Google).
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Yeah, they're just annoying.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

3 recommendations

tshirt to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

...I can't explain the technical details of the MIMO message but it's harmless....

The MIMO -MDD IP Mode Override
is just telling the modem a temporary/extra/contrary instruction from how the MDD - MAC domain desprictor, described the plant capablities So if the MDD said this plant supports a IPv6 wan side interface, this MIMO could be saying "don't use the IPv6 for now on this model modem" or some other feature should be added or disabled.
This is a normal and planned for ability for D3, not a defect.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

3 recommendations

NetDog

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

The MIMO -MDD IP Mode Override
is just telling the modem a temporary/extra/contrary instruction from how the MDD - MAC domain desprictor, described the plant capablities So if the MDD said this plant supports a IPv6 wan side interface, this MIMO could be saying "don't use the IPv6 for now on this model modem" or some other feature should be added or disabled.
This is a normal and planned for ability for D3, not a defect.

I would like to add one more comment to this, this doesn't have anything to do with what the CPE is doing. This is only on the DOCSIS side of the modem. Alot of people are getting the DOCSIS side MIMO and the CPE side support confused.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Got the update here on my SB6120.

Speeds are solid as ever.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I always wait to power cycle for something like this until after you do it and I don't hear about any downside from you.

Did that. I wasn't having any severe problems before the upgrade, but I was consistently having tediously slow pageloads. I had been trying for awhile to troubleshoot on my end with no improvement. Signals weren't perfect but well within range, so I didn't see it as a Comcast issue.

After the powercycle, I did get the upgrade. My signals were nearly perfect once again and the page load issues are gone. So far, so good, anyway with nothing else changed here.

I have no idea if this is related or if it is just one of those cases where a powercycle would have fixed the problem without the upgrade.

koitsu
MVM
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 recommendation

koitsu

MVM

said by Sunny:

said by tshirt:

I always wait to power cycle for something like this until after you do it and I don't hear about any downside from you.

Did that. I wasn't having any severe problems before the upgrade, but I was consistently having tediously slow pageloads. I had been trying for awhile to troubleshoot on my end with no improvement. Signals weren't perfect but well within range, so I didn't see it as a Comcast issue.

After the powercycle, I did get the upgrade. My signals were nearly perfect once again and the page load issues are gone. So far, so good, anyway with nothing else changed here.

I have no idea if this is related or if it is just one of those cases where a powercycle would have fixed the problem without the upgrade.

I can assure you it's 100% unrelated. Your signal/power level issues are separate. Chances are the reboot of the modem resulted in negotiating different channel frequencies, some of which (for you) might have better levels than others.

ChangeLog for the firmware is here, and you can clearly see there's nothing going on that would impact signal/power level. There are some things that might impact performance but only in already degraded situations: »Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released