join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed

Re: Intel to Kill Off Replaceable CPUs

said by CylonRed:

I have yet to figure out how anyone can bend a pin - at least with the AMDs - they are decently robust. Can only put the CPU in one way and when lined up it just drops in.

I will admit - most of the time I replace both since I go 3-5 year in between builds but I would like to be able to have the option...

I think the Intel LGA is a bit more fragile then the AMD offering. I wouldn't want to install and remove the CPU repeatedly on an Intel system.

Does AMD still use ZIF or something similar? One thing I didn't like about AMD sockets is that in some cases the TIM may create a kind of weld that can pull the CPU right out of the socket when removing the HSF. This can't happen with the Intel retention clamp design.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

FWIW, the socket design on the AMD Phenom X2 5400+ series sucks balls.

The socket literally ripped off the board when trying to mount the HSF - I'd done numerous replacements and upgrades with the same kind of socket style and HSF style, so I knew what I was doing. It just broke.

Way too much pressure in the wrong spots... why do I have a flat-head screw driver in a tiny little socket with that much force exerted on it when PCB isn't that tough?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

said by CylonRed:

I have yet to figure out how anyone can bend a pin - at least with the AMDs - they are decently robust. Can only put the CPU in one way and when lined up it just drops in.

I will admit - most of the time I replace both since I go 3-5 year in between builds but I would like to be able to have the option...

I think the Intel LGA is a bit more fragile then the AMD offering. I wouldn't want to install and remove the CPU repeatedly on an Intel system.

Does AMD still use ZIF or something similar? One thing I didn't like about AMD sockets is that in some cases the TIM may create a kind of weld that can pull the CPU right out of the socket when removing the HSF. This can't happen with the Intel retention clamp design.

something like this happened to me today but on a intel P4 system, went to remove the HSF and the cpu came right out of the socket without lifting the arm on the socket.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Octavean

MVM

to Octavean
Yes - they use a ZIF - been running AMD since the late 90's and replaced several CPUs. Never had then do anything but list right out. Even for CPUs in systems for 3 years straight.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
For what it's worth I have found a way around this.

Basically you just want to break the weld between the surfaces before lifting the HSF off the processor. I find a slight twisting motion can break the weld if present.

I have heard of AMD processors being pulled right out of the socket by removing the HSF way before it happened to me. So IMO its one of those things that doesn't happen until it does,....unless you know how to avoid it,...which I now do.

With ZIFF the pins are tenuously held once the leaver is closed. With LGA there is a metal bracket that clamps down on the package heat spreader and is locked into place.

The only way I see an LGA bracket failing like this is if the socket / assembly wasn't attached to the motherboard properly, the locking mechanism failed or was never engaged properly.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

On this board (A Dell system) I don't think I could twist the heat sink is nice enough for me to use on some LED projects nice and thick but it was impossible to twist but that would be the normal way I would of did if I could not break the seal.

The dell uses this large plastic base in which the HSF sits in not allowing it to twist.