Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

okcookie

join:2012-11-26
Medford, NJ
reply to chrisb3127

Re: [Northeast] Higher pings tonight?

I am in South Central NJ on a 25/5 plan and I too am experiencing high latency and slow download speeds. I've noticed on speakeasy that when I test the NY server my speeds are consistently good, but when I select virtually any other server my download speeds are awful.

This is causing major problems, particularly for online gaming. My latency in online games such as D3 has spiked at above 600ms.

I spoke with a Verizon tech last night, and they are sending a new router. Of course, I very much doubt this will fix the problem.

My question is: will switching my ISP to, for example, Comcast, solve this problem? Is the problem related to Verizon's infrastructure, or is it a much larger problem with the Internet?

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by okcookie:

My question is: will switching my ISP to, for example, Comcast, solve this problem? Is the problem related to Verizon's infrastructure, or is it a much larger problem with the Internet?

Give it another month or two. Hurricane Sandy($71 billion worth of damage) may have had something to do with wrecking a lot of routing paths and the remaining ones are being worked double.

okcookie

join:2012-11-26
Medford, NJ
said by serge87:

said by okcookie:

Give it another month or two. Hurricane Sandy($71 billion worth of damage) may have had something to do with wrecking a lot of routing paths and the remaining ones are being worked double.

Interestingly, the slow speeds and high latency only began within the past 3 days. This leads me to believe that the problems are not related to hurricane Sandy, as the storm occurred some time ago and I had no internet speed problems immediately after it.

The truth is, I really don't want to wait another month. I'm open to waiting another week or so, but honestly during that time I will likely contact Comcast to arrange for the install.