Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sachin Naik

join:2008-12-08
India

What is this card like thing on the motherboard called as

Click for full size
After every 2 years my computer stops working and when i call the technician he just removes that card (or glass like thing) as marked in the picture, he then wipes it and simply puts it back and then my computer works like a charm, and he charges a huge amount of money for that simple work

I would like to know what we call that thing because i want to do a Google search on it and also tell me whether we remove it directly with our hands. Because next time i don't want to call him back

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

That's RAM (random access memory). From your description of the fix performed, there may be a deeper problem with your system. RAM shouldn't need to be cleaned on occasion for your system to function. You may want to bring your system to a reputable shop to have it checked.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Sachin Naik

How much did they charge you for removing the DIMM, cleaning it, and putting it back in?
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Sachin Naik

Get some pure isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter and do it yourself. Just be careful to not discharge static electricity on the RAM stick (that thing you are talking about).

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to Sachin Naik

Sometimes vibrations can make the connection loose, but they generally have to fit tightly with the clips to help prevent this.

You might want to let memtest run a few times to make sure they are not giving any errors, I've had memory go bad in a system before also, it might show up as random things crashing, and freezing generally. All it takes is one bad read, or write to a memory location.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

How much did they charge you for removing the DIMM, cleaning it, and putting it back in?

If he doesn't change any new parts too it. And just take it out, wipe it. You sound like you got scam.

IMO, the cost to do that should be next to $0. Not including what ever transportation he took to get to you.

I think you should also check the BBB on the tech place you use.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by pflog:

If he doesn't change any new parts too it. And just take it out, wipe it. You sound like you got scam.

IMO, the cost to do that should be next to $0. Not including what ever transportation he took to get to you.

Agree 100%.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to FizzyMyNizzy

He's in India.

I've seen this happen, moisture in the air and dust combine and the terminations go awry and pulling out the RAM sticks and sliding them back in/cleaning the teeth sometimes makes the system POST again, I've had this happen to me, with DDR based systems (maybe the DDR slots were of poor design?)

Sachin Naik: You've visited this forum for a long time, and it is time you started learning more, for your own best interest. Start reading forums and wikis and sites with information on how systems work, do yourself a favor and try and learn about this stuff.

To get you started:

Learn what a:

CPU is.

Chipset is.

RAM stick is.

Motherboard/mainboard is.

SMPS/Power Supply is.

Storage drive is (HDD, SDD, ODD).

Video Card is.

Various cables and the respective connectors are. Start with PCI Express power and data cables and SMPS cables such as the PEG connector.

BTW, where in India are you? Do you have access to more than one computer if one fails?

If you try and learn yourself some, people here will help you with that learning, I learned a lot over the years thanks to the great folks here, though I'm one of the dumber people here.

If English is a second language I know this will be a bit of a challenge.

Try Tom's hardware, andandtech, hardocp, and jonnyguru for starters.

HTH!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Sachin Naik

India

I have understood it now about the RAM thing

The technicians here do not like to visit other peoples house. Therefore we need to pay them any amount they ask even for simply touching the PC.

My PC didnt work for 3 days only because the RAM was not wiped. The technician then wiped it without changing any part. I didnt ask him anything because he was first of all irritated since i called him for a simple issue.

Now i have understood it is the RAM, next time i can do it on my own. I need to simply wipe it which i didnt knew before

Thanks a lot

pferrie3

join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA
reply to Sachin Naik

Re: What is this card like thing on the motherboard called as

no offence .. wiping the ram is a crock ... modern dimm sockets are tension spring mounts ... as in the pins are slightly thinner than the dimm so when inserted they clamp the dimm. so unless the computer is being sandblasted on a daily basis dust in the air settling on the dimm WILL NOT get between the pins and the contacts on the dimm... it would have to defy the laws of physics to do so...

however removing the dust buildup from inside the computer will make it run cooler, i use a can of compressed air. not to mention neat cabling and good airflow thru the case helps cut down on the dust too

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Asserting that it is a crock (of s---) is wrong. I just got through saying that I've experienced it. You evidently don't know that at every electrical termination, oxidation can occur. While I haven't experienced this since my DDR1 system, I stand by my statement that I have had to reinsert RAM to get my system to POST several times on two different motherboards. I resent you claiming that what I say is a crock, it is very ill mannered of you, and wrong.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Sachin Naik

Re: I have understood it now about the RAM thing

said by Sachin Naik:

My PC didnt work for 3 days only because the RAM was not wiped. The technician then wiped it without changing any part. I didnt ask him anything because he was first of all irritated since i called him for a simple issue.

I love how he is irritated that he is getting a relatively large amount of money for a such simple task.
--
What smells like blue?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by Omega:

said by Sachin Naik:

I love how he is irritated that he is getting a relatively large amount of money for a such simple task.

hahha. right? "DAMN IT. I have to take MORE money for doing my JOB? Nooooo"
--

Sachin Naik

India

said by pflog:

said by Omega:

said by Sachin Naik:

hahha. right? "DAMN IT. I have to take MORE money for doing my JOB? Nooooo"

hahaha
well i never tried calling other technicians, they may be better, it is actually the same old technician i was calling again and again. Well i am sorry the amount he charged was not a huge one but it was quite big for me 200 INR it was.

but anyways i think i am sure that my PC stopped working for 3 days only becoz the RAM contacts were not wiped (with an eraser yes a rubber) becoz after wiping my RAM, now i have no more issues for last 1 week. It is working very normal. Hope it continues to work like this.