spc
uniqs

Anon3528672
@charter.com

Anon3528672 to guest

Anon

to guest

Re: [HSI] Charter Monthly Bandwidth Limits

They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices that have yet to come out in stores, they all have vudu, netflix, but most importantly all of them but one have free cloud DVR functions built in which requires a constant upload of data when watching local channels, this is required for features such as pause/rewind/etc and there is no way to turn this feature off.

I guess their strategy is if a greater number of people are using more bandwidth, providers will be forced to increase them. I think the idea of bandwidth caps are for the birds personally, there is no magical bandwidth mine where bandwidth is a scarcity, as someone said, there is no bandwidth crunch. They're fighting a losing war and once these devices are out in stores, that 250gb cap? out the window, the one I was testing was capable of 3 times that and I had to turn it off before I too passed my cap. It will be interesting to watch all hell break loose once it's in stores and one of them already is
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by Anon3528672 :

They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices that have yet to come out in stores, they all have vudu, netflix, but most importantly all of them but one have free cloud DVR functions built in which requires a constant upload of data when watching local channels, this is required for features such as pause/rewind/etc and there is no way to turn this feature off.

I guess their strategy is if a greater number of people are using more bandwidth, providers will be forced to increase them. I think the idea of bandwidth caps are for the birds personally, there is no magical bandwidth mine where bandwidth is a scarcity, as someone said, there is no bandwidth crunch. They're fighting a losing war and once these devices are out in stores, that 250gb cap? out the window, the one I was testing was capable of 3 times that and I had to turn it off before I too passed my cap. It will be interesting to watch all hell break loose once it's in stores and one of them already is

don;t hold your breath waiting for the caps to increase - the more likely senario is for the end user to be more attentive of what they are doing

PFH
Bully For You
join:2003-06-26
Saint Louis, MO

PFH to Anon3528672

to Anon3528672
They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices ....

Nonsense. Charter has no incentive whatsoever to raise or eliminate caps in light of newer bandwidth-consumptive gadgetry. They have zero competition forcing them to do so. FTTH? Puny installed base. DSL? Please, don't make me laugh. Any Charter customer serious about streamed video knows they have nowhere else to go.

You say you need a higher cap? Then, customer, let me introduce you to our nifty business-class pricing tier. End of story.
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by PFH:

They will be forced to raise their bandwidth caps and soon. I've been beta testing several cheap devices ....

Nonsense. Charter has no incentive whatsoever to raise or eliminate caps in light of newer bandwidth-consumptive gadgetry. They have zero competition forcing them to do so. FTTH? Puny installed base. DSL? Please, don't make me laugh. Any Charter customer serious about streamed video knows they have nowhere else to go.

You say you need a higher cap? Then, customer, let me introduce you to our nifty business-class pricing tier. End of story.

No competition? In this area there are two other providers that can be chosen for broadband access at the residential level, three if you want to add hughes net

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

Well some of us are limited to one alternative, AT&T DSL... no thanks.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by msmisfit:

Well some of us are limited to one alternative, AT&T DSL...

Which is also capped; and their traditional ADSL service has a 150 GB cap. So not exactly useful competition.