All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bob mccud
@12.189.32.x

bob mccud

Anon

how much would it cost to set up a long range wifi network?

ok i was at another forum and a user who i asked how to get internet to their rural location as cable stopped about 10 miles from them. Another user told them to rent a building where cable is available. Then connect the cable to a long range router and use a directional antenna to point it to his house. How much would it cost just to buy the equipment to do something like that? Are talking 100s thousands or tens of thousands? If it's the first 2 i might look into doing it
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Depends on many variables but the equipment can be had for a few hundred.

bob mccud
@12.189.32.x

bob mccud to bob mccud

Anon

to bob mccud
i found a site that explains how to do it and it doesn't seem as simple as buying a router and hooking it to an antenna and pointing it at my house. I would need a long range router a high gain antenna and a tower at the location sending the signal . On my end i would need a tower and antenna and long range router. On top of that the article makes it sound like you need a degree in topography. Not so simple as just renting a building and putting a long range router with antenna in it.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to bob mccud

to bob mccud
Again it depends. To do it correctly you need line of site. Is it really 10 miles? At 5 miiles for about 4k you could use whitespace equipment that doesn't need line of site but its limited to around 3megs

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to bob mccud

to bob mccud
said by bob mccud :

i found a site that explains how to do it and it doesn't seem as simple as buying a router and hooking it to an antenna and pointing it at my house.... On top of that the article makes it sound like you need a degree in topography.

Wireless requires line of sight. Topography is used to determine if you have line of sight.
said by bob mccud :

Not so simple as just renting a building and putting a long range router with antenna in it.

Correct...it is **NOT** that simple.

If you have line of sight, then the wireless equipment could be had for under $300.

bobmccud
@wildblue.net

bobmccud to wirelessdog

Anon

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

Again it depends. To do it correctly you need line of site. Is it really 10 miles? At 5 miiles for about 4k you could use whitespace equipment that doesn't need line of site but its limited to around 3megs

My personal situation is 12 miles with trees in some areas
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to bob mccud

to bob mccud
Register to this site so I can send you a PM.