Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to ptrowski

Re: Snowblower replacement...

Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's. It's a cheaper model then the orange Made in America Arien's unit. They are a decent machine but you get what you pay for. Don't expect it to last more then 5 years as it wasn't made to last and you didn't pay for it to last. Search on Sno-tek repairs and you'll find tons of people who can't find parts for the motor. I did a ton of research on them last year myself before going with a Arien's Deluxe over the Sno-tek.

A few of the differences.
Sno-tek 11" auger vs. Arien's 14" auger
Sno-tek 9.5 engine torque vs. Arien's 11.5 engine torque
Sno-tek 205cc vs. Arien's 250cc
Sno-tek 178 lbs. vs. Arien's 220 lbs. (Lots of plastic!)
Sno-tek 12" impeller vs. Arien's 14" impeller
Sno-tek no headlight vs. Arien's has a headlight
Sno-tek plastic chute vs. Arien's all metal chute
Sno-tek throws up to 40' vs. Arien's throws up to 50'
Sno-tek Chinese made vs.Arien's American made

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ···ications
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ications
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Draiman:

Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's. It's a cheaper model then the orange Made in America Arien's unit. They are a decent machine but you get what you pay for. Don't expect it to last more then 5 years as it wasn't made to last and you didn't pay for it to last. Search on Sno-tek repairs and you'll find tons of people who can't find parts for the motor. I did a ton of research on them last year myself before going with a Arien's Deluxe over the Sno-tek.

Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's.

That's all that needs saying

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Draiman:

Yea I'm sad Arien's sold out making a lower quality/price machine to sucker people into spending their hard earned cash on a sub-par machine. Most people don't know anything about it except it's the cheapest machine they can find so they buy it thinking it's worth their money. If it seems too good to be true......it is!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

And Ariens branded machines are assembled in the US, but by what quality standards?

LCT engines are at least designed by an american company. Production is simply much cheaper in China due to multiple factors like labor, land leasing, materials supplies, proximity of other parts suppliers.

Just because something is made in the states doesn't mean they applied the best quality standards, nor is it that because it is made in China that it was made as bad as possible.

Honda cars are made better than chryslers, yet they are both made in the states.

We're only basing our assumptions on the past reputation of chinese made machines, a reputation made when quality engines were ONLY made in Japan, Germany or North America. Things are changing now. I took a leap of faith on the Sno-Tek snow thrower, but I can say from having used it for a year that it feels lot more solid than generic crap snow throwers and has a TON of power.

Will it break sooner than a Honda engine? Probably, especially when they are not well maintaine. Is it worth paying 2x the price? Only time will tell.

In 5 years I guess I could make a solid statement on the Sno-Tek's reliability. It's also too soon to bash it for being made in China. So far, the Sno-Teks have hundreds of reviews on home depot's website and their scores are near their upper-end counterparts.