Wellston, OH

DLNA Streaming Device - Standalone or Player

I am looking for either:

1) Add on streaming device
2) DVD player

Which can act as a DLNA streaming device

1) Full support for 1080p
2) WIRED 1Gbs LAN, preferred
3) 802.11a wireless preferred, if its wireless only. 802.11b/g 2.4, OK, but I have more 802.11a than b/g, and PREFER WIRED
4) DLNA STREAMING - Its not relevant if it supports anything else, just DLNA streaming. Thats it... no net this or who that etc.. I don't use them nor will I ever use them. DLNA streaming from NAS and miniDLNA servers.

If its a DVD player then

1) 1080p upscale
2) Don't care if it's blueray as I won't ever use it. I refuse to purchase those over DRM'd discs.
3) don't care if it does 3D
4) wired 1GBs LAN port
5) Just needs to play DVD's, 1080p upscale, HDMI out, and DLNA streaming

NOTE: I am NOT after a PC regardless of size or quietness (not an issue), strictly DVD player or DLNA box to attach to the TV(S) in question, no space for much of any device.

Comments on Vizio Costar in relation to DLNA streaming only.. None of the other features are of use.

Other devices which do DLNA streaming clients in a Costar/Roku like package ? Under or about $100...

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 recommendation

Get a Western Digital Live TV, costs $100 and plays everything in a tight little box. Has streaming services built in such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, VuDu, etc. Has all the other features you requested and has custom themes you can install for different looks.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+WD+TV+···p=1&lp=1

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

said by bryank:

Get a Western Digital Live TV, costs $100 and plays everything in a tight little box. Has streaming services built in such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, VuDu, etc. Has all the other features you requested and has custom themes you can install for different looks.

Seconded.

legendNYC
No Pain
Premium
join:2003-06-04
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to bryank

said by bryank:

I got one last year for Christmas. Very happy with the results. Also works very well over a wireless bridge connection.

dlsauers

join:2005-10-25
Wellston, OH
reply to bryank

said by bryank:
Will review...

Any other devices...

Just a reminder . . netflix, hulu, etc are of no interest... I don't use them.

Stricly DLNA from my NAS and miniDLNA servers with content.

Any thing else? ? No comments on Costar DLNA performance?

Thanks.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dlsauers

OPPO makes some really really awesome products. BlueRay (which you prob don't need), awesome DVD upscaling, and DLNA (which I personally haven't tried or used in any fashion). All made out in California iirc.

»www.oppodigital.com/

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to dlsauers

The WD Live is the only dlna player I have played with that was able to play every file format/encoding type I threw at it.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

OPPO makes some really really awesome products. BlueRay (which you prob don't need), awesome DVD upscaling, and DLNA (which I personally haven't tried or used in any fashion). All made out in California iirc.

»www.oppodigital.com/

I have an OPPO BDP-83 and it does NOT stream surround audio from DLNA servers. The audio is only stereo FL-FR. Earlier OPPO players have spotty support.
The other thing is their DACs ring like a bell. Not what I consider a hi-fi digital playback.