telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to chong673

MVM

to chong673

Re: [Connectivity] Do I need to get an amplifer and active retur

The modem status info you provided, while it looks good (-1 dBmV downstream power level, 37 dB SNR), it only applies to the relatively small band of frequences allocated (usually in the 500 to 700 MHz range) to handle the cable modem downstreams. The TV channel(s) that has the problem could be hundreds of MHz away from there.

It would be more useful for you to get the signal status info on the particular QAM carrier(s) that carry that TV channel(s).

See this post of mine in another thread about that: »Re: [HD] Fox Ohio Valley College Football Broadcast

Going by the modem status you posted, you will likely not need to use an amp, but instead, to just fix a cabling/connecter(s)/splitter(s) issue.

If the problem is not inside your home, you would then need a tech visit to investigate an outside issue.

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673

Telcodad, I dont have a cable box. I look at my HDTV and the signal strength thing is grey out. I dont know any where to check the signal.

I got my 4 way splitter (no idea what ohm or freq it is. Archer brand. Radio Shack?) and the splitter and cable are from 15+ years ago when there are no HD stuff.

The longest cable from the 4 way slitter is about 8 feet. Other is 4 feet.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by chong673:

Telcodad, I dont have a cable box. I look at my HDTV and the signal strength thing is grey out. I dont know any where to check the signal.

Sounds like you are directly connecting the cable to your HDTV then, using its "Clear QAM" cable tuner.
said by chong673:

I got my 4 way splitter (no idea what ohm or freq it is. Archer brand. Radio Shack?) and the splitter and cable are from 15+ years ago when there are no HD stuff.

You need to try changing to a higher quality splitter. See this thread: »[Connectivity] Recommended splitter Those 2-way splitters all have 4-way versions that you can try.
said by chong673:

The longest cable from the 4 way slitter is about 8 feet. Other is 4 feet.

While your cables are relatively short, they could be damaged in some way that could be causing frequency/attenuation variations. Otherwise, there may be a connector issue on one of those cables. See this thread for cabling info: »Comcast cabling question

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673

Telcodad,

Yes I use "Clear QAM".

Since I need 4 outlet, do you recommend a 4 way splitter or should I get a amplified splitter?

I read there is a 3 way splitter, one is at 3.5 ohm and the other 2 outlet at 6 ohm or something.

I will be getting a few RG6 from monoprice today.

I got too many variables at play. Dont know which is cheaper to try first.

My Upstream Power level is not that great at 50 dBmv. It should go lower. I wonder if a active return amplifer will help.