clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Jurjen

Re: URGENT: load balancing without MLPPP

x86 is a broad category that includes most Intel, AMD and VIA CPUs, so your server is likely supported as well.

You can run pfsense with a single NIC if you set up vlans. I have done a few builds this way, including one with 15 virtual interfaces.

Good job on trying Tomato dual WAN. I love Tomato, although I've never tried the dual WAN build, so I have never recommended it.

In your situation I would recommend that you run a squid proxy to use caching to soften the blow to your internet connection. This can be installed as a packaged on pfsense, or on a separate box if you go with Tomato. I don't know how cacheable facebook is, but with all your uses going to the same site, squid should be able to cache at least some of the graphics.

Next thing you might want to think about is some traffic shaping and prioritizing. Considering all your users will be doing more or less the same thing, a simple setup that prioritizes ACK packets and limits each user to a small share of the bandwidth is probably a good idea.

Lastly, don't worry too much about the naysayers on this board. Many of them are consultants, and they are wise to advise their clients to overplan, but in doing so they sometimes neglect to help the DIYers and the desperate. As a small neighbourhood ISP, I can assure you that oversubscription is a necessary and surprisingly effective bandwidth usage model. Cramming 130 users onto a wireless network with modest bandwidth isn't a walk in the park, but with a bit of ingenuity it doesn't have to be your funeral.
--
db