join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

Electronic Hotel Door Locks Now Pickable

Something to be aware of when traveling:

Burglars seem to be exploiting a bug in widely used electronic door locks to steal from hotels.

The bug was first publicised at a hacker conference in July, showing how a simple electronic device could unlock doors in seconds.

A series of thefts from hotels in Texas are being traced to a burglar who unlocked doors with the same technique.

Insurance firms said they expected to be "hit hard" as knowledge of the hack spread among professional thieves.

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20507908
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I recall a thread in these forums some time ago about that exploit, just after the July conference... but I'm not able to activate the right magic decoder ring combination in the DSLR search-function to located it. I believe there was speculation at the time about how long it would take for the "lab" exploit to hit the real world of criminality. The answer now appears to be in: about 4 months.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

I guessed that it had probably been mentioned here when the exploit was first discovered, but figured folks would like to know that it's now in play, especially:

Since his discovery, the technique has been refined by other security researchers, with one squeezing all the electronics to unlock a door into the body of a marker pen.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

I recall a thread in these forums some time ago about that exploit, just after the July conference...

Here 'tis -

»Black Hat 2012 - 4 million hotel rooms at risk

And a hack report from last month,

»Hacker cracks 4 million hotel locks
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to DownTheShore

Also spotted:
»www.cso.com.au/article/443193/ho···d_locks/
Sorry to EGeezer See Profile as other posts are old-ish

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to DownTheShore

Guess I better start checking what kind of locks the hotels have that I stay in.

But the problem is... if they have the locks that are affected by this hack, where the hell do I leave valuable items? Most hotels that I've been at do not have safes or anything like that. This means either take the risk of leaving the valuables in the room, or take the risk of putting the valuables in the trunk of the car.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to DownTheShore

I always have my big dog in my hotel with me and stays in there while I'm out.

I think the outdoor access "motels" are more vulnerable than the indoor access "hotels" because most have cameras in the indoor access hallways.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

What security do you havein a Hotel room in the first place. You have to assume the master is floating around all over the place.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to DownTheShore

Lock Firm Onity Starts To Shell Out For Security Fixes To Hotels' Hackable Locks

quote:
After four months, countless hacking embarrassments and a string of hotel burglaries, the maker of one of the world’s most common hotel keycard locks is finally owning up to the cost of an epic–and expensive–security mess.

Onity, the company whose locks protect 4 million or more hotel rooms around the world, has agreed to reimburse at least some fraction of its hotel customers for the cost of fixing a security flaw exposed in July that allows any hacker with a $50 homemade device to open its locks in seconds, according to written agreements between the company and several of its largest buyers.
Article

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore

The next time you stay in a hotel room, run your fingers under the keycard lock outside your door. If you find a DC power port there, take note: With a few hacker tricks and a handful of cheap hardware, that tiny round hole might offer access to your room just as completely as your keycard.

»www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe···d-locks/

Two words.......bubble gum.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

If man built it, man can defeat it. Doesn't make any difference if we are talking about locks or encryption systems.