gorrillamcd
Hangin' Out
join:2010-04-01
mexico

1 recommendation

gorrillamcd to antdude

to antdude

Re: "Who don't you trust with your personal data?"

You're all saying that you don't trust anyone with your data, but the fact is that you have to at least a little bit. If you do online banking for instance, you have to trust that your bank will not do anything malicious. In order to interact on the internet beyond commenting on threads like this, you have to trust companies/people at least a tiny bit. Doesn't mean you don't take precautions, but if you really didn't trust anyone with your data, you wouldn't be on the internet.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by gorrillamcd:

You're all saying that you don't trust anyone with your data, but the fact is that you have to at least a little bit. If you do online banking for instance, you have to trust that your bank will not do anything malicious. In order to interact on the internet beyond commenting on threads like this, you have to trust companies/people at least a tiny bit. Doesn't mean you don't take precautions, but if you really didn't trust anyone with your data, you wouldn't be on the internet.

Actually, the article that this thread references seems to be discussing non essential sharing, such as with Facebook, MSN, Google, Yahoo!, et al.

If you have a bank account, of course the bank will have some of your personal information (and it may be accessible to hackers from the Internet whether you actually use on-line banking or not). The same applies to having credit cards, telephone service, electric service, or internet service; and it even applies to health care information if you have ever seen a doctor or have health insurance (nobody in the healthcare industry actually pays any attention to HIPAA). The only way to truly implement a "Trust No One" policy is to live in a cave and feed yourself by hunting and fishing.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to gorrillamcd

Premium Member

to gorrillamcd
said by gorrillamcd:

I provide the bare minimum bits of personal data to carefully selected organizations needed for a particular situation, but I don't place broad "trust" in any of them - including my bank, other financial entities, commercial establishments, or the agencies of any level of government. Which is why I watch them all like a hawk, check my statements carefully and continually, make/keep paper records, balance my own books, all of it. Mistakes do get made, hacks succeed, stuff happens... and the smaller a trail of personal data I've scattered (especially across the volatile digital highway), the less damage gets done if anything does occur to violate the minimal elements of trust that I may have placed.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

And

• Have more than one bank account and distribute your funds between them. If one bank/account gets hacked you're not SOL while the situation is resolved.

• Have more than one CC. If one is compromised you should have at least one more as a backup.

• Sign up for "alerts" on your accounts if your bank/CC provider has them. Many now do this so suspicious activity is seen in minutes/hours.