share rss forum feed

MXB

join:2009-12-18
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

Dumping Bell, any suggestions?

Just got the bad news about the $60/yr gouge they've planned for 2013. I've been with them since 2002 but the price (since I HAD to get the extra 40 GB usage) is just outrageous. Not to mention the INSULT of $2 for paper bill.

Here's what I need from a ISP: Reliability, Low Price (Bell's charging me $41 and that's WAY too much. Think MUCH lower.) and Compatibility with old computer equipment.

What I don't give a damn about: Speed. I started out with a 300 baud modem in 1986. I've learned patience.

For those who want info on my hardware: I have a D-Link DI-604 router that services my various computers.

--
01/01/01

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

»www.canadianisp.ca/index.php

Maybe dsl with Teksavvy or Electronic Box.

MXB

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

said by ChuckcZar :

»www.canadianisp.ca/index.php

Maybe dsl with Teksavvy or Electronic Box.

I saw that the 3 best reviewed here are Start, Electronic Box and Teksavvy so I've already got them in mind. Start has the best reviews and I was impressed by their website and offer (24.95 for 2 Mbits/100 GB). EBox was pricy at $30 for 6Mbits and Teksavvy's website is almost unusable with my older browser for some reason. I can't even see the price but it seems to be 2?.95 for the 6 Mbits.
--
01/01/01

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
reply to MXB

Go cable... Teksavvy, Acanac, Electronicbox, Start, etc.

Expand your moderator at work

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont
reply to MXB

Re: Dumping Bell, any suggestions?

start.ca

Shrug

@videotron.ca

1 edit
reply to MXB

said by MXB:

Here's what I need from a ISP: Reliability, Low Price and Compatibility with old computer equipment.

What I don't give a damn about: Speed.

I would put a dollar figure on what you want to spend in a month.

If speed isn't an issue I would dump DSL and go with 3-meg unlimited cable for 25$/month or 6-meg unlimited for 40/month.

[deleted]
Expand your moderator at work

Doctor

join:2012-11-26
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Mobilicity
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to MXB

Re: Dumping Bell, any suggestions?

I know what you mean about the paper bill and being charged for it. It is insulting to say the least.

I checked what was available for Burlington and out of the results I see I would recommend Fusion Telecom as they seem the cheapest.

»www.fusion-telecom.com/dsl-resi.php

Not too many reviews on them, but I didn't see any that were negative. I'm pretty sure it will work for you.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10
reply to MXB

I've had TekSavvy cable and I now have Start cable, had absolutely no issues with either.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to MXB

Another vote for START from me. I'm on their low-speed DSL, and have had no problems at all. Customer Service is very good.

I do believe Fusion re-sells Start's services. That 3-meg unlimited Cable that SHRUG mentioned must be from TSI, but that is only in Chatham, ON.

Are you keeping your Bell phone line? If not, and you stay with DSL, you are into Dry Loop startup and ongoing costs. Do have your own DSL modem now?

Compare ALL the startup costs (fees and equipment); compare the monthly costs; check the billing/payment options. Your usage and
speed requirements sound fairly modest, for now, so you can get away with a lower cost Docsis 2 cable modem if you go cable (but that D2 modem may not provide optimum performance on a higher-speed plan in the future).

EBox and TSI offer some free off-peak downloading on their DSL plans, that doesn't count against your monthly cap, if that is of
any value to you (schedule your large downloads while you're sleeping!).

shrug

@videotron.ca

Can this persons system run with cable? His profile as was pointed out by someone else, Shows his setup may not even support cable.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to MXB

Yes.
A .22 to the back of Bell's head and then dump the corpse in a construction site about to be filled with concrete. Worked for Jimmy Hoffa.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yes.
A .22 to the back of Bell's head and then dump the corpse in a construction site about to be filled with concrete. Worked for Jimmy Hoffa.

+1

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

I would second a Low Cost Cable Plan, With unlimited usage to ensure your Bill never changes, Though i personally would never ever recommend a d2 modem even to a low end cable subscriber,
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

MXB

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yes.

ROTFL!

Yep, that pretty much sums up my attitude towards Bell now.
--
01/01/01

MXB

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jasmo34

Yeah, I'm stuck with Bell for phone service. I can't use VOIP types because my dial up modems and FAX machine won't work without a real phone line.
I'll have to buy a DSL modem, renting Bell's (at an exorbitant $60/year - I see you can buy for $75!) currently.
The usages I see on all except Bell are 100+ GB. I use about 5-6 GB/month (which required me to pay $5/mth to Bell for an extra 40 GB) No problem there. No disk space to make large DL's, I got about 300KB free on my C drive sometimes. Yes. KB.
Fusion and Start are both in London it seems.
--
01/01/01

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

Dude, you want me to send you a free computer.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to MXB

said by MXB:

I got about 300KB free on my C drive sometimes. Yes. KB.

Time to scrounge something better - a 286-based machine perhaps.

I'm sure that you can find a better machine for free. Put a Wanted ad on Craigslist or Kijiji - "Don't dump your old computer in the landfill. Looking for donation of working 3-5 year old computer. Grateful for any offers." or "Times are tough. Looking for donation of working 3-5 year old computer. Grateful for any offers."

An ad like that ought to get you something WAAAAY better than what you have now. Just make sure it has Windows installed on it and has the Microsoft license sticker on the bottom.

MXB

Burlington, ON
reply to Riplin

Thanks but I got 6 already, where would I put it?
--
01/01/01

MXB

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to MaynardKrebs

Well if you really wanna know: 6 computers from 1982-1999 Atari 800, Commodore 128, Amstrad PC640, 386SX 20 MHz 2 MB, Pentium 1 166 MHz 32 MB and the one I use with the 'net Pentium 2 400 MHz 128 MB. Skipped the 286's, never had one
--
01/01/01

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yes.

I'd be more sadistic than that to them to avenge myself for the years of rip off service they would have given me rather than a clean shot!