uniqs
share rss forum feed

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
kudos:1

Possible to repair recliner pull handle?

Click for full size
Lane sectional handle
This will be the second time we've had to replace the handle on our sectional recliner. A new one is only $25 and readily available, but would like to try and repair this one just to see if it's possible. As you can see, the cable broke right at the base. I don't think the handle would survive being cut open to try this, but I don't care one one way or the other. Any creative ideas are certainly welcome!
--
You may say I'm a Dreamer.... But I'm not the only one.....

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

I doubt it, at least not with the original parts. The end of the cable appears molded into the cable. No types of adhesives, epoxies, etc are going to be able to grip the cable. You'd need some type of a mechanical fastener such as a bolt or screw to pinch the cable.

Whatever is at the other end, is it even adjustable? If it's not, even if you could some how secure it, it may never latch fully since the cable might be too short.

Since it's broken several times, is there something else that needs some maintenance like being bent, lubricated, or loosened so that things move easier?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to rlt2562

You could drill out the bottom of the handle the size of the wire then drill a larger hole straight into the center of the bottom of the handle on the side. Pull the wire through the bottom hole out the side hole then add a metal end crimp connector and recess the end connector into the side hole. That's if there's a way for the end connector to catch in the handle so when you pull it won't just pop out the bottom or over time it won't stretch the bottom hole and eventually pop out.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to rlt2562

The cable itself broke? If so then it's unlikely any better anchoring scheme will help, there's just too much load on it (or it's bent/damaged when brand new).

Assuming the cable broke, is there any way to just replace IT (the steel braided wire)? It can likely be replaced with a thicker cable and then properly anchored with a crimped on end mounted in the modified handle.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to rlt2562

You'll need some sort of strain relief or the cable will keep breaking.
If possible embed an eye hook into the handle and connect the cable to it, using a crimp to make a loop.

rlt2562
Premium
Haughton, LA
reply to rlt2562

Click for full size
Examining the other end, it appears to be a simple crimped doodad keeping the wire connected. I do believe if I can find a suitable replacement cable that I can make this work. The handle might be drilled out or modified in some way so that the wire will hold up for a long time. If not, at least the replacement is pretty cheap.

FWIW, the sheath the wire runs through is slightly smaller in diameter than what might be found on your typical bicycle brake line.
--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to rlt2562

Recliner Handle
This oughtta do it....

rlt2562
Premium
Haughton, LA

1 recommendation

LOL

It would work, but it's top heavy! It'd fall down, and never get pulled up!
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Actually, I think you just discovered the basic problem. From looking at the pic, it appears to me that the handle is designed to go into the support bracket so it doesn't flop around. My guess is that it has not been returned to the proper position. Operator error? Don't know. Point being that if the handle is not rigidly held in position, then the wire will break. I would suggest replacing it again and making sure that the handle returns into the bracket when used.

solder

@tmodns.net
reply to rlt2562

An alternative to the crimping ideas is to drill a dual diameter hole in the old handle then slide the wire through the handle then solder a big ball of solder onto the end.

Soldering wont work if the cable is stAinless steel.

Toad

join:2001-07-22
Bradford, ON
reply to mattmag

That's what I used on both of mine.
--
»www.toddsplace.ca