·TekSavvy Cable
·Mobilicity
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit

Any POTS providers in Toronto?

Hello all,

Looking for a new POTS provider that resells Bell phone service (IE not VOIP). Is there any other provider out there other than Teksavvy, Primus, Rogers, and Bell itself that provides this service in the Toronto area? I don't mind paying a bit more. Haven't had much luck with Google.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1

Re: ISP's that offer traditional phone services?

Rogers used to resell Bell POTS.

Doctor9

join:2012-11-26
What I mean't really was a ISP that provides both services so it's a bit more convenient for me. I forgot to mention I naturally don't want Rogers or Bell, but thanks!

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to Doctor9
Primus does in some areas.. others mostly resell Bell.

Doctor9

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Mobilicity
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to Doctor9
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to separate my services. Primus is kind of ridiculous at $40 for their home phone. I am adamant about leaving Teksavvy though, does anyone else know any POTS besides Primus, Bell, and Rogers in Toronto? I'd appreciate it. They don't need to offer internet services. Thanks again!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Hope your fingers are good at calling:

»www.goldbook.ca/toronto-on/telep···mpanies/

Can't think of anything else to say, this is a forum...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

SimonJones
MTS Allstream Alliance

join:2010-09-16
Mississauga, ON
reply to Doctor9
Allstream is a POTS local exchange carrier (CLEC).

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Doctor9
said by Doctor9:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to separate my services. Primus is kind of ridiculous at $40 for their home phone. I am adamant about leaving Teksavvy though, does anyone else know any POTS besides Primus, Bell, and Rogers in Toronto? I'd appreciate it. They don't need to offer internet services. Thanks again!

Are you looking for residential or business?

For resi service - it's going to be slim pickings... It's a low margin business, and most (all?) is going to be resold Bell.

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
reply to Doctor9

Re: Any POTS providers in Toronto?

Allstream does business POTS, not sure about residential.
Business POTS lines are $35/month for a barebones line from them (well ours are at work for our fax machines).

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to Doctor9
I think teksavvy still offers a resold version of bell's home phone.

$21.50/mo I think and $3 per feature, Its a much better deal then bell.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
said by OHSrob:

I think teksavvy still offers a resold version of bell's home phone.

$21.50/mo I think and $3 per feature, Its a much better deal then bell.

OP has TekSavvy right now - he's "adamant about leaving Teksavvy" - plus, I don't know if Tek's taking new orders... There were some issues a while back.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
The CRTC keeps stating that areas like his are "de-regulated". Meaning their is sufficient competition in his area (Toronto).

Yet here we all stand not being able to find this guy a telephone company. It's kind of funny and bizarre.

Hey, Doc., How about playing a game & making some of us giggle? Call the CRTC and say, "Hi, I live in a de-regulated area as shown on the CRTC website. So I would like to know what phone companies can service me as indicated on your website".

I think you can also Email them if you feel like waiting for a reply.

Paste the reply you get here. I think we all want to know the answer to this since it seems no one can find you a Toronto telephone company.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Doctor9
Primus, Rogers and Bell is what the CRTC would say, the OP has 3 options available to him....so that's choice...

Sheesh, I have less options available to buy Milk than to buy Phone service in this case....(2 big players in the milk world I believe).

Doctor9

reply to Doctor9
Thank you all for the wonderful replies! In response to the last person, you are right. I just might do that. I will check out Allsteam. Thanks again!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to nitzguy

IIRC, the 4 primary players which I currently see in Eastern Ontario (for MILK, that is ) are :

Parmalat (Beatrice, Lactantia)
Saputo (Neilson)
Sealtest
Natrel (has a parent company - I forget name)

The Mac's convenience store brand is now from one of Saputo or Sealtest (formerly by Beckers independent dairy).

I do not believe that Kraft owns a dairy company.

GOT MILK ?
Expand your moderator at work

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Any POTS providers in Toronto?

said by Davesnothere:

IIRC, the 4 primary players which I currently see in Eastern Ontario (for MILK, that is ) are :

Parmalat (Beatrice, Lactantia)
Saputo (Neilson)
Sealtest
Natrel (has a parent company - I forget name)

The Mac's convenience store brand is now from one of Saputo or Sealtest (formerly by Beckers independent dairy).

I do not believe that Kraft owns a dairy company.

GOT MILK ?

...Sealtest and Natrel are both part of the Agropur group .

We only see Neilson at the local Walmart, either its Parmalat (Beatrice) or Agropur (Sealtest/also locally branded as Copper Cliff Dairy in some instances).

I'll try and support Neilson more though, since they keep the Hostess Twinkee alive! lol

I was just trying to make a point that there is choice available, most other "resellers" usually cost more than Rogers/Bell because if you're going to a reseller, typically its because Bell/Rogers have cut you off for non-payment and you can't get service through them so you pay a reseller a premium...TSI always seemed to be the anomaly in this, but I've also heard they can't offer new POTS subscriptions anymore so maybe even for them the option is going to be gone....

So, for local PSTN telephone service, you really have 2 options...I mean you might have a business option, you could also try Telus as they offer business service as well....but for resi, your options are what they are .

So drink Milk!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by nitzguy:

So drink Milk!

»notmilk.com/

Drink vodka.

Mike

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Doctor9

Re: ISP's that offer traditional phone services?

said by Doctor9:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to separate my services. Primus is kind of ridiculous at $40 for their home phone.

Primus business POTS lines were ~$32 last I looked, with all the bells & whistles

SimonJones
MTS Allstream Alliance

join:2010-09-16
Mississauga, ON
$33.20 at Allstream (with 5 calling features), but it's business customers only.