La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

[iPhone] Apple Said to Fire Maps Manager After Flaws Hurt IPhone

Saw this on Bloomberg..

quote:
Apple Inc. (AAPL) has fired the manager responsible for its troubled mapping software, seeking to win back the trust of users disappointed after the program debuted in September.
»www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-2···but.html

While I think heads should have rolled for the colossal failure of the maps in IOS6, I wonder if this was the right person to fall on the chopping block??

Someone, probably much higher up, made the decision to drop Google Maps...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

Re: [iPhone] Apple Said to Fire Maps Manager After Flaws Hurt IP

Oh wow they fired one guy.

Boy.. way to show your unstoppable force, Tim.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to JRW2

said by JRW2:

Someone, probably much higher up, made the decision to drop Google Maps...

Discussion of when to drop Google Maps was likely made when Steve was still around, even if the final decision came later, so you can't fire him anymore!

The decision to drop Google Maps was a good one - they just didn't have the backup plan they thought (or were told) they did. That falls on the project managers (Forstall and Williamson, seemingly).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

No it's not. Google Maps is a 10 year old mature project with a hilarious amount of features and usability tweaks.

Apple is not going to complete with that from buying TomTom maps and OpenStreetData or whatever it's called.

Any change will be a giant pile of shit in the face of customers. Not only was it a downgrade, it was a broken out of the box downgrade.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

said by Mike:

No it's not. Google Maps is a 10 year old mature project with a hilarious amount of features and usability tweaks.

That does not mean it's impossible to build a better product. It only means they had very little in the pipeline when they realized Google Maps was no longer an option.

Google does not want Maps to be as good on iOS as it is on Android, and that's pretty obvious. Why should Apple be held to the fire by their competitor for such a commonly used part of their OS?

There's plenty of blogs and news/opinion pieces around that explain why Apple had to drop Maps, so I won't rehash it all here. Their mistake was assuming they could whip up a competitive Maps product in such a short period of time on their own.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It's certainly possible.

Apple did it with piss poor implementation. If Apple had the backend and dedicated the resources for making it not look like an unfinished middle school geography project then it could be really good. The framework is there to make it a comparatively better product but the content is null.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to JRW2

IMO, he isn't the only one that should be fired.

They still need to fix the cellular/wifi glitch.
Where if you leave the cellular on and you are in a wifi hot spot, and it will switch you from wifi to cellular.
I managed to fix that by turning cellular off when I'm in a wifi hot spot, but it's a PIA to remember to turn it back on after leaving the hot spot.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Software quality is about on par as a linux gui right now.

Ives will fix everything.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Where if you leave the cellular on and you are in a wifi hot spot, and it will switch you from wifi to cellular.
I managed to fix that by turning cellular off when I'm in a wifi hot spot, but it's a PIA to remember to turn it back on after leaving the hot spot.

Is that an Apple issue or a carrier issue? I think I recall reading that Verizon does that, yet ATT does not.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I have verizon, and when I spoke to people at a verizon store they all said "I never heard of that".
Then they told me to take it up with Apple as they only do tier 1 support on Apple products.

So what is different about verizon vs another carrier?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I don't really know what the details are, but this should help:

»money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technol···dex.html

Although, I know my boss' 4S defaulted to cellular instead of Wi-Fi as well (which is why this problem seemed familiar).

--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Snakeoil

I thought this was fixed in a update from Apple?

»www.macrumors.com/2012/09/30/app···phone-5/
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I have the Iphone 4. Would that apply to it as well?

quote:
1. Tap Settings > General > About.
2. Wait for the following alert to appear: (top right)

I've done the above, just waiting for an update alert. How would I tell if my phone was up to date for verizon?

*we have two iphone 4 in the house. Both are doing this.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Out of curiosity, are they both on iOS 6. I would guess so, since you said in another post that they are new.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Yes, they are both IOS6

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Then the update should fix it for you, once you get it and it's installed.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

said by Snakeoil:

Is that an Apple issue or a carrier issue? I think I recall reading that Verizon does that, yet ATT does not.

This is my 2nd response to the same post.
Some one posted a link, and I read it:
»money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technol···dex.html
quote:
It's unclear if carriers beyond Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500) are also affected. Some on Apple's discussion board have reported similar problems on AT&T's network.

So it looks like the majority of the issue has been with Verizon, but it does happen on AT&T as well.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

Then the update should fix it for you, once you get it and it's installed.

My phone maybe already updated, how do I check? I know how to see what IOS version I'm running, but how do I check about what version of verizon is installed?

*Note: No update alert as of yet.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I wonder if the fix was only iP5, even though 4 and 4S phones are affected.

"After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed."

»appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/···on-wi-fi
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to JRW2

They fired him for failing, however it was the Corporate Agenda who set up the failure. "Hurt Google at all costs, come up with something now!" Irregardless if if was what the END CUSTOMER wanted or if their product was ready.

This was all about Apple's corporate mentality. What they should have done was sent out the iPhone5 without the Maps fiasco--- let people use Google Maps.... while they continued improving and building their own Maps until it was equal to or superior to Google Maps and then introduced it..... not just rammed it down the customer's throats when it was half-baked because they want to punish Google.

So, the fall guy gets whacked. No surprise here.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Badonkadonk

No alert about an update and I scroll down and see: Carrier Verizon 13.0

*Edit: I just turned cellular on, before I had wifi only.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

You should talk to Apple and see whether the iP5 fix will work on your 4 handsets. If it does, take them to the Apple store to fix if you don't get an OTA update.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

said by Badonkadonk:

You should talk to Apple and see whether the iP5 fix will work on your 4 handsets. If it does, take them to the Apple store to fix if you don't get an OTA update.

I really don't want to drive an hour to get a simple patch.

Does Apple have on line "live" tech support?
--

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:96

1 edit
reply to JRW2

I won't update my4 or my wife's 3GS till they fix that(the wifi/cell data bug). The other 3GS has no cell card in it and has i0s6.1 on it. Since I have a capped plan there is no incentive for me to upgrade and make my bill go higher.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff See Profile
That does not mean it's impossible to build a better product. It only means they had very little in the pipeline when they realized Google Maps was no longer an option.

Google does not want Maps to be as good on iOS as it is on Android, and that's pretty obvious. Why should Apple be held to the fire by their competitor for such a commonly used part of their OS?

There's plenty of blogs and news/opinion pieces around that explain why Apple had to drop Maps, so I won't rehash it all here. Their mistake was assuming they could whip up a competitive Maps product in such a short period of time on their own.

Google told apple they could have whatever features they wanted to so long as google got to put their branding in it. Apple already does this kind of thing on e.g. quicktime and itunes for PC.

All they had to do was let that happen, their users would have gotten what they wanted, it wouldn't have cost them anything at all, and they wouldn't have ended up with the worst mapping software ever made. Google maps was ALWAYS an option, and it still is now.

Trying to forcibly cut your customers off of what is by far the best aggregator of information on the internet (Google) is a horrible idea. Think about it, there is literally nothing you can do on the internet that requires a service Apple provides, but without Google there are a TON of services you'd lose. And now, some guy at Apple gets fired just because that company has to be so damn anti-competitive.

not

@comcast.net
reply to JRW2

lol, I guess Scott left because he didn't want to sign any apology letters to the public and be the fall guy. Way to give them the finger Scott.

Point is pretty clear regardless of the Maps issue. Apple has dwindled in quality of their stuff since Steve passed. We need someone else just as quirky and direct as he was to take the company away from Cook before he kills it slowly. Put Ive in charge of it. After all, it was HIS private project (the iMac) that resurrected Apple when it was down and he's just as obsessed with perfection as Steve was.

Ive for President!!!

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

They fired him for failing, however it was the Corporate Agenda who set up the failure. "Hurt Google at all costs, come up with something now!" Irregardless if if was what the END CUSTOMER wanted or if their product was ready.

This was all about Apple's corporate mentality. What they should have done was sent out the iPhone5 without the Maps fiasco--- let people use Google Maps.... while they continued improving and building their own Maps until it was equal to or superior to Google Maps and then introduced it..... not just rammed it down the customer's throats when it was half-baked because they want to punish Google.

So, the fall guy gets whacked. No surprise here.

And it came and bit them in the ass.

And no surprise they had a fall guy, something that as far as I know is not uncommon at all in the corporate world. Have a fall guy who can be fired when well laid plans fail, as it looks good to the investors.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to JRW2

I have a felling that bad times might be coming within a few years....
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016