spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

[WildBlue] Wildblue announces speed upgrades for Legacy customer

Good news for existing Legacy customers!

»www.wildblue.com/speedboost
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300

Premium Member

Re: [WildBlue] Wildblue announces speed upgrades for Legacy cust

Please take care, Wildblue users, to monitor your usage so that your newly acquired speed does not blow over your usage limit. If you have Value Pack, streaming sites like YouTube and Hulu automatically connect at a higher bit rate because your download speed is higher.

BasilAR
WildBlue
join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR

BasilAR

I'm with Spice on this.

Would have been better if WB disabled DAMA.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to wm4bama

Premium Member

to wm4bama
Seems like a good move for customers, but a bad business move. Typically when you have a newer product, you do not make improvements to the older one.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

Seems like a good move for customers, but a bad business move.

I've stated this before, but upping speeds should have been done years ago; cause, its gets them off-line much sooner. Having those online at slower speeds creates longer waits for everyone. Satellite 'bean counters' were clueless about this cause/effect issue.

I doubt if WB legacy users will have LNFZ, unless they switch to Exede.
Spice300
Premium Member

Spice300 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Seems like a good move for customers, but a bad business move. Typically when you have a newer product, you do not make improvements to the older one.

By making their product superior to the competition, HughesNet, they encourage customers to stay with Wildblue. Because no one can get the legacy service anymore, they are not encouraging HughesNet customers to switch to Wildblue. After years of poor service, they are trying to retain customers.

However, I still dislike this high speed combined with a low usage cap. On November 30, I almost blew over my limit because I forget that the flatline starts at 2 am MST instead of 1 am like it does when daylight savings time is active. In less than an hour I download about 1 GB before the meter froze about 100 MB below my limit. If I had started downloading 5 minutes sooner, I would have been FAPed. It is too easy to make mistakes with this speed.

stinkyboots
@myvzw.com

stinkyboots to wm4bama

Anon

to wm4bama
As far as retaining customers, some areas are closed to Exede upgrades because beams are full, have been for some time. Hughesnet Gen4 is not here yet either. So getting existing customers on up to 3 meg or so, they are less likely to switch to the up to 5 meg or whatever Hughesnet is offering in non-upgraded satellite areas. They could also turn down the latency. As it was before mine was shut off there was no browsing speed difference. And caps should have been increased, yes, a long time ago. DAYTIME caps.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by stinkyboots :

some areas are closed to Exede upgrades because beams are full

I'm not aware of Exede 12 beams being full, but I am aware of one Exede 5 beam closed in North-West corner of US...eastern Washington, if I recall
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Spice300

Premium Member

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

said by silbaco:

By making their product superior to the competition, HughesNet, they encourage customers to stay with Wildblue. Because no one can get the legacy service anymore, they are not encouraging HughesNet customers to switch to Wildblue. After years of poor service, they are trying to retain customers.

However, I still dislike this high speed combined with a low usage cap. On November 30, I almost blew over my limit because I forget that the flatline starts at 2 am MST instead of 1 am like it does when daylight savings time is active. In less than an hour I download about 1 GB before the meter froze about 100 MB below my limit. If I had started downloading 5 minutes sooner, I would have been FAPed. It is too easy to make mistakes with this speed.

From a business stand point though, the customers on Wildblue are holding back progress of Exede. They need to take more people off of Wildblue so they can put more people on Exede 5 or better yet, increase the speeds of Exede 5 and make Exede 12 available everywhere. Making Wildblue speeds faster will slow down the migration of customers.

Hughes should not be a concern of Viasat´s at this point. Hughes seems to have a reputation lately of doing everything the wrong way.
Spice300
Premium Member

Spice300

Premium Member

I am not sure if the older satellites, Anik-F2 and WB-1, are capable of 12 Mb/s. That would be over 10 times the average speed of the Wildblue accounts and they can not repoint the spot beams.

stinkyboots
@myvzw.com

stinkyboots to DrStrangLov

Anon

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

I'm not aware of Exede 12 beams being full, but I am aware of one Exede 5 beam closed in North-West corner of US...eastern Washington, if I recall

Exede 12, me either. I went to a zipcode list and put in a few random ones for Kansas and Nebraska at Wildblue.com (exede.com works too of course), "Service not available at this time. Due to overwhelming demand, new installations in your area have been suspended." I didn't try many, but every one I tried said that. Iowa said it "may" be available, but exact address needed, just from one I tried. No new customers for several weeks at least here, installers say it's full.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by stinkyboots :

...put in a few random ones for Kansas and Nebraska at Wildblue.com (exede.com works too of course), "Service not available at this time....

I've seen the proposed Exede 5 areas on a map, but are all of these operational today. When installer came, I asked him about another beam area he installs in, and he indicated it was not up/running yet in late March.

I've never seen this map before, but via BES-WildBlue Sales Team, "Short-term beam outages are currently affecting the northwest area of the United States which could mean Exede sevice may not be immediately available if you live in an affected area. Please see the map below. If you live in one of the white areas shown on the map, please call us at 1-866-xxx-xxxx before ordering to ensure that you receive prompt and satisfactory service. "

I have no idea what dark blue areas mean.

DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

I am not sure if the older satellites, Anik-F2 and WB-1, are capable of 12 Mb/s.

During primetime, no....Exede is using WiMax protocol and AcceleNet compression, so in off peak times, it is possible to see 12 Mb/s, and higher; YMMV.
smokybandit
join:2012-11-25
Floresville, TX

smokybandit to wm4bama

to wm4bama
i use to have crickets $70mo 8gb plan. Then i switched to Wildblues exede 12 15gb $90 mo plan. Only downside it not as mobile as cricket but alot better service. when using youtube or hulu i normally go to the 240 or 360 pixel setting