spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LesterZhang

join:2012-07-19
Waterloo, ON

Teksavvy is down in the north west of Waterloo, anyone else?

Just received a call from my wife, my home in the north west of Waterloo area is down. I am wondering if this is area wide.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
My web server is not responding and no pings are being returned from my router, neither of which is normal. Connection is in SE Kitchener.

Possible POI level event...

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to LesterZhang

Smithy

@rogers.com
reply to LesterZhang
Just went down in Cambridge too.

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Martin
Thanks Martin. I just missed seeing the outage thread.

Looks like TSI posted really quickly about the outage. Was there already a surge of phone calls or did Rogers give you a heads up?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7
We have probes that monitor each and every single link. We know when something is down pretty much the moment it happens.

LesterZhang

join:2012-07-19
Waterloo, ON
This must be Teksavvy only, the internet in my office in the northern Waterloo works fine.

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Gabe
Thanks Gabe for the info. That is really helpful to know.

I for one really appreciate the new thorough approach that has been taken with posting about outages. That level of transparency is excellent and very helpful for people coming to the forums.

anonandoo

@wind.ca
reply to LesterZhang
Thanks for the update. I've been furiously trying to restart my modem for the last half hour. I hope it comes online again very soon.

want_interwe

@74.198.87.x
Still down in central waterloo. Have been out of commission since about 2:30pm

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Tmlyer

@rogers.com
reply to LesterZhang
Mines still down in central Waterloo. When should we be expecting it to be back up?

Buzzymandias

join:2012-08-20
Waterloo, ON
Yes, an ETA would be nice...

Thanks,
Tom

TSI Taunia
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
Hello,

We don't currently have an ETA on this as piece of our equipment has went down. We are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Tsi Taunia

dlee

join:2011-04-22
Bet this is a problem rogers caused ...

Annex

join:2007-11-21
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Taunia
Backup equipment? Hello backup equipment? What kind of ghetto setup is this that some piece of equipment fails and the whole town goes offline. Pathetic. I stopped reselling after the stop sale early in the year and I'm glad I'm not subjecting any more of my clients to this kind of bs.

sixer6

join:2011-09-19
Kitchener
reply to TSI Taunia
I'm down in Kitchener, Ira Needles and university.

Thanks for the update TSI Taunia.

jfgbaker

join:2009-08-09
St Jacobs, ON
reply to LesterZhang
Out in St. Jacobs as well, no RCable access - TekSavvy DSL line just paid itself off this month (5Mbit sucks though).

Jake

@208.84.225.x
reply to Tmlyer
Yep, me too. Still down in central/west waterloo (university area)

Jake

@208.84.225.x
reply to TSI Martin
@TSI_Martin - Thanks for the link.

I know you're working hard to get this sorted. We're just anxious to get back online. It is my lifeline to work (telecommute) so downtime during the day is REALLY painful. Is there anything else you can share? Configuration problem? Failed hardware? any guess as to whether this is expected to resolve tonight?

Guido

join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to Annex
Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

TSI Taunia
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

DO VE Y

@184.151.61.x
reply to Jake
Finals are coming up and I need the Internet to study... Any idea as to when this will be fixed?

adam333

@ridc.com
A fibre line cut? Can you please clarify? You mean like some construction crew cut something in the street??

This is taking way too long and I don't need to hear from apologists that its my fault for not having 2 internet connections.

Cannot go another day without access so please let us know if we have to make arrangements.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to Guido
said by Guido:

Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Taunia
said by TSI Taunia:

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

That sucks. Hate it when fibre lines go down

(And before the haters say something, it happens with the incumbents too. I've had outages related to fibre cuts in the past with both bell and rogers)

Hopefully it gets fixed tonight. In the meantime I got a bunch of dvds ready.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

No residential provider promises 100% uptime. If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Guido

join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Oh Wise One! Please enlighten us all as to the name of this mythical 100% uptime residential ISP! I hope they cost the same or less than Teksavvy. I'll be submitting my resume there tomorrow as I'm sure it would be lovely to work for an ISP where technical support is not necessary.

I await your response with bated breath.

Look, I understand the frustration people feel when their connections go down - I'm a student as well as a tech worker, and I'm usually online during most of my waking hours - but nothing (including ISPs) is perfect. Have a backup plan: Second connection, go to a library, go to your school, go to a coffee shop.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Well, if everyone is running a business on their home computer then shouldn't they have a "Business" connection or some such thing?

What you said makes perfect sense but I wonder how realistic that expectation is. I thought running a business on a residential connection was against the rules? Don't know.

I know my Rogers connection has been down maybe 6 times in 10 years and except for the 2 1/2 hour blackout a month? or so ago the longest has never exceeded 1/2 hour.

Guess you get what you pay for.............

Annex

join:2007-11-21
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Taunia
I'd love to know who cut the fibre and where, and not just for curiosities sake. And what happened to secondary connections? Single line cut shouldnt take out multiple cities. This isn't Africa