how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guido

join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to Annex

Re: Teksavvy is down in the north west of Waterloo, anyone else?

Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

TSI Taunia
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

DO VE Y

@184.151.61.x
reply to Jake

Finals are coming up and I need the Internet to study... Any idea as to when this will be fixed?

adam333

@ridc.com

A fibre line cut? Can you please clarify? You mean like some construction crew cut something in the street??

This is taking way too long and I don't need to hear from apologists that its my fault for not having 2 internet connections.

Cannot go another day without access so please let us know if we have to make arrangements.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to Guido

said by Guido:

Redundancy costs money. If you want higher uptime, get a backup connection or a fibre connection (with a backup!).

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Taunia

said by TSI Taunia:

**Update**

We have been advised that there has been a Fibre Line cut, which was the root cause of the whole area going down. There is still no ETA for this.

That sucks. Hate it when fibre lines go down

(And before the haters say something, it happens with the incumbents too. I've had outages related to fibre cuts in the past with both bell and rogers)

Hopefully it gets fixed tonight. In the meantime I got a bunch of dvds ready.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Gotta say that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw posted on here. Who in their right mind would pay for 2 residential internet connections?

What you need is ONE connection with a RELIABLE TRUSTWORTHY NO BULLSHIT NO EXCUSES ISP!!!!

No residential provider promises 100% uptime. If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Guido

Kitchener, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by Guido:

Oh Wise One! Please enlighten us all as to the name of this mythical 100% uptime residential ISP! I hope they cost the same or less than Teksavvy. I'll be submitting my resume there tomorrow as I'm sure it would be lovely to work for an ISP where technical support is not necessary.

I await your response with bated breath.

Look, I understand the frustration people feel when their connections go down - I'm a student as well as a tech worker, and I'm usually online during most of my waking hours - but nothing (including ISPs) is perfect. Have a backup plan: Second connection, go to a library, go to your school, go to a coffee shop.

elitefx

London, ON
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

If internet is an integral part of your livelihood, you'll happily pay up for carrier grade access or a backup connection.

Well, if everyone is running a business on their home computer then shouldn't they have a "Business" connection or some such thing?

What you said makes perfect sense but I wonder how realistic that expectation is. I thought running a business on a residential connection was against the rules? Don't know.

I know my Rogers connection has been down maybe 6 times in 10 years and except for the 2 1/2 hour blackout a month? or so ago the longest has never exceeded 1/2 hour.

Guess you get what you pay for.............

Annex

join:2007-11-21
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Taunia

I'd love to know who cut the fibre and where, and not just for curiosities sake. And what happened to secondary connections? Single line cut shouldnt take out multiple cities. This isn't Africa

Maedros

1 recommendation

reply to LesterZhang

ah. another day with canadian ISP's i see. all is normal, nothing to see here folks!

elitefx

London, ON

said by Maedros:

ah. another day with canadian ISP's i see. all is normal, nothing to see here folks!

Yea, you're right, but us Canadians aren't as dumb as our ISP's make us look to the rest of the world.......

harmar

join:2011-05-25
reply to LesterZhang

sucks, guess I will just have to use my 3g connection for now until it is fixed

Maedros

1 recommendation

reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by Maedros:

Yea, you're right, but us Canadians aren't as dumb as our ISP's make us look to the rest of the world.......

hahaha, i don't know about that. they give us crap service, we pay for it. they give us same service and label/market it all fancy and top-tier, and we still pay for it. then they upgrade our upload from 512kb to 1mb and say they have "DOUBLED OUR SPEEDS!!!" how AMAZING!? what a deal i say! then we proceed to pay even more for this shit!

but most of us don't know the difference, were so ignorant. if we were properly educated about the way these services are being handled in canada, we wouldn't be so far behind the rest of the world, and sure as hell wouldn't pay as much as we currently are for it.

i think we are pretty dumb! herp derp.

Guido

Kitchener, ON

said by Maedros:

said by elitefx:

said by Maedros:

hahaha, i don't know about that. they give us crap service, we pay for it. they give us same service and label/market it all fancy and top-tier, and we still pay for it. then they upgrade our upload from 512kb to 1mb and say they have "DOUBLED OUR SPEEDS!!!" how AMAZING!? what a deal i say! then we proceed to pay even more for this shit!

but most of us don't know the difference, were so ignorant. if we were properly educated about the way these services are being handled in canada, we wouldn't be so far behind the rest of the world, and sure as hell wouldn't pay as much as we currently are for it.

i think we are pretty dumb! herp derp.

Tend to agree - but to be fair, the regulatory structure in Canada certainly hasn't encouraged competition between ISPs - some baby steps recently, but we're still miles behind so many places in the world.

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to LesterZhang

Any more updates?

Going on 7 hours....unacceptable

cyc66

join:2007-09-16
Kitchener, ON

Cut fiber lines can take awhile to repair

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Caledonia, ON --

Construction truck takes out overhead fibre operated by Mountaincable (now Shaw), thousands of customers south of there out of service, phone, internet, TV. Including my ISP.

7 hours start to finish to splice in a new section of fibre.

True story..
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

cyc66

Kitchener, ON

That sounds about right

harmar

reply to LesterZhang

i dont know, some construction company here spliced a cable, rogers had it fixed in 2 hours

cyc66

Kitchener, ON

Fiber or cable?

steve_9364

join:2011-11-19
reply to LesterZhang

People complain too much. We all have issues when the internet goes down. Teksavvy is the best thing that has ever happened to me after years and years of Rogers and Bell. A day of downtime is worth the months of up time. That up time includes awesome customer service, cheap fast internet and no cap. Don't forget the good stuff so quickly people! Go Teksavvy!

Dee99

@telus.com
reply to harmar

Still down in uptown Waterloo.

quartapound

join:2012-11-27
n2n 0a3
reply to LesterZhang

@harmar.... if the construction company spliced a cable there wouldnt be a problem. the construction company severed the cable, and rogers spliced it.

and....this is the second time I've been down in less than a month. the last time was a 'provisioning issue' (although I've been setup since August)... my modem started pulling a rogers IP and it wouldnt let me connect.

Took days to fix.

a severed fibre shouldn't take this long to fix...especially if a construction company severed it... they already know where the problem is.

they should provide an eta as well, although I doubt it'll get fixed tonight.

if there's no eta, they probably haven't started fixing the issue (or just don't care enough to inform their customers.... it'll work when it works)

harmar

sorry, I got my terminology wrong, the construction company severed and rogers spliced it.. all within 2 hours

kabes

Kitchener, ON
reply to quartapound

I have to agree that no ETA isn't good enough. How can it still be a mystery after 8 hours.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by kabes:

I have to agree that no ETA isn't good enough. How can it still be a mystery after 8 hours.

It could be that Shaw or whomever owns the fiber line has not provided one, hense TekSavvy does not have one to give.

Folks, it's not the end of the world because the internet is out for a night. If you need it that bad, go to Timmies and use their free wi-fi

kabes

Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

No one said hyperbole like it's the end of the world. I simply wanted to know if it'll be up tomorrow so I can know if I need to make other plans. the work I need to do is done on my desktop which I'm not hauling to timmies but I will haul to a friends if necessary.

quartapound

join:2012-11-27
n2n 0a3
reply to quartapound

I hope Google Fibre makes it here eventually....

...who said it's the end of the world? .... we're using the forum exactly as it's intended...to communicate/express opinions.

I agree it could be that whoever owns the lines has not provided an ETA... they could communicate that as well.

leaving us in the dark.... as stated, and also IMO, isn't good enough.

dontcomplain

@telus.com
reply to elitefx

well then switch... there's nothing that says you have to stay... switch to one of the larger companies that have money to put into their infrastructure and have backup lines. There's also nothing in their TOS, or any TOS, that guarantees 100% uptime. For the amount of internet and bandwidth cap that I am getting compared to the other companies, Im not complaining if something like this happens. If I needed almost guaranteed uptime though and run a business I wouldn't be relying on Teksavvy though for my internet, although for some reason you guys are putting all your trust in them... that's just your own fault. Just stop complaining, there's obviously someone working on splicing the fibre back together (which takes a lot of skill and labour). Not like it's going to get done any faster...