spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Buzzymandias
join:2012-08-20
Waterloo, ON

Buzzymandias to dontcomplain

to dontcomplain

Re: Teksavvy is down in the north west of Waterloo, anyone else?

You're assuming that getting the repair done quickly is the reason for complaining. I doubt anyone really thinks that posting a message here will get the cable spliced faster. The real purpose of venting here is giving TS a tangible reminder that customer service is crucial to customer retention. Like sending a petition to your MP may not affect the current situation you're protesting, but the annoyingness of constant letters keeps your MP on notice that someone's watching. (Maybe a bad example, since many of them don't care anyway, but you get the drift). So we're actually helping TS by sending a signal about how much we value reliable service. I for one would pay an extra $5-10/month if I knew that there was enough redundancy in the system for this kind of thing not to happen (is that enough money? Idk). As for going to another ISP... Show me one who actually has implemented such a system. I'm not paying more for crappier service, for similar downtimes, and for low caps.

TSI TNC
TSI TNC
Premium Member
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON

TSI TNC to LesterZhang

Premium Member

to LesterZhang
Hello,

We have an update, Rogers replaced the line card on the router but the service is still down and they still cannot provide us with an ETA. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Jennipher

SDA
@telus.com

SDA to LesterZhang

Anon

to LesterZhang
Almost 9 hours here in Kitchener, it went down during a web meeting with a client, and I have a ton of work to catch up on now - 9 hours, and still counting, is unacceptably long. I have been trying to get an idea of when they can have this resolved so I can make arrangements, but obviously that was a fail. So much for customer service

I'm working off a mobile data plan, which really is only intended for short emergencies, not full days of being offline.

In my area, at least 1x a month we lose service or have badly slow speeds (Extreme Package). But usually its only 15 minutes to a couple hours. This ... is not acceptable
quartapound
join:2012-11-27
n2n 0a3

quartapound

its BACK!
steve_9364
join:2011-11-19

steve_9364 to LesterZhang

to LesterZhang
Internet is back up in Kitchener. I am near Sunrise Center.

All that complaining people, and now you just look like cry babies.

Go Teksavvy!
lcb
join:2011-05-08
Waterloo, ON

lcb to quartapound

to quartapound
*dance*

Just as I couldn't take it any longer and was setting up mobile hotspot credentials. Bamm. Like a boss.

Good to be back. And thanks to TS for their hard work in an unfortunate situation.

TSI TNC
TSI TNC
Premium Member
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON

TSI TNC

Premium Member

Glad to hear people are getting back online! Just waiting on the official word that we are in the clear!

Thanks everyone!

Jennipher
atticus18244
join:2011-10-21
Sarnia, ON

atticus18244 to BGB

to BGB
That's great for you if you can just drop into Timmies to check your email. Some of us are students who rely on the internet to get our notes, submit our assignments, do our quizzes. There isn't exactly enough room on campus either especially as finals approach (and Timmies isn't exactly a good environment for quizzes). I'm very glad I didn't require the internet for anything too important tonight. I'm not blaming Teksavvy at all but just because you don't need the internet for anything important, some of us rely on it.

Also, service is backup for me over by the WLU area. Out from 3pm-11pm.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8534.png

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to LesterZhang

Premium Member

to LesterZhang
These things happen, unfortunately fibre splices take an extremely long time to repair...

Not because the repair itself is lengthy, but the amount of time in prep to get the team to the location is lengthy...

Random fact: there are not many of these teams around...they have to be organized and then they have to be dispatched to site...and its not like they can just drop everything at a drop of a hat and go and repair this fibre, it goes like this, dude is on-call, receives a call and they have a response time SLA, and they get to that, its not like he's eating and he drops everything to go and splice the fibre.

So, it does suck, would it be possible for companies to have redundant links? You'd think so but it wouldn't be cost effective...

Also, all fibre splices take roughly that long...even on an industrial scale where a large mining concern had a fibre cut because the boom truck wasn't paying attention....took about 9 hours to get everything back and running properly.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to SDA

to SDA
said by SDA :

Almost 9 hours here in Kitchener, it went down during a web meeting with a client, and I have a ton of work to catch up on now - 9 hours, and still counting, is unacceptably long. I have been trying to get an idea of when they can have this resolved so I can make arrangements, but obviously that was a fail. So much for customer service

I'm working off a mobile data plan, which really is only intended for short emergencies, not full days of being offline.

In my area, at least 1x a month we lose service or have badly slow speeds (Extreme Package). But usually its only 15 minutes to a couple hours. This ... is not acceptable

If you require guaranteed uptime from your internet service for business purposes like client meetings, you should probably be using a business package that includes an SLA. Residential services are going to go down occasionally. There's no way around it. Alternatively you can add a DSL plan...it's very unlikely both DSL and cable will be down at the same time. Obviously both options are more expensive, but that's the price of reliability, unfortunately.

anonadoob
@teksavvy.com

anonadoob to LesterZhang

Anon

to LesterZhang
My connection is finally working.

Thank you for your hard work TSI. As a student, I really appreciate your affordable services; I've literally saved hundreds of dollars this year just on internet services alone. The long downtimes are no doubt annoying, but the overall value is still better than any ISP I've had in the past.
phippsju
join:2012-11-28

phippsju

I am in the Kitchener centre area (Highland & Westmount). My services officially switched over to TekSavvy on the 26th from Rogers (Phone and Internet).

We went down yesterday at approximately 2:30pm. It came back online sometime throughout the night, and we were up temporarily this morning until approximately 8:45am, and are now down again.

In total I think we've been down more than we've been up. Is this an omen of what we can expect in terms of connectivity, or is this an unusual anomaly?
harmar
join:2011-05-25

harmar to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

These things happen, unfortunately fibre splices take an extremely long time to repair...

Then how come rogers fixed one near my place about 4 months ago within 2 hours. Internet went out at 11am because a construction crew severed the cable. by 12:45 internet was back online. Rogers crew was on site within 20 minutes
Now to be fair it wasn't a main cable that effected the whole city, it was a small cable that effected a street, but still.. heck suprised it was even that fast since with a street not like they have a whole tricity bitching
quartapound
join:2012-11-27
n2n 0a3

quartapound to LesterZhang

to LesterZhang
@harmar... fixing a fibre optic line vs coax is like comparing a car to a space shuttle... it does require more knowledge/skill/tools, and as nitzguy said, there probably aren't as many of these crews around as there should be (and they probably make very good $$ as a result). Hopefully as fibre becomes more prominent that will change.

Buzzymandias and Atticus also made great points (I was in the same boat as atticus) ... I'm a student as well and needed online for all of the reasons he mentioned.... also as stated, not everyone has a laptop... not everyone can go to timmies, nor would that atmosphere be suitable for certain reasons (studying, tests, ect).

as Buzzymandias stated... none of us thought that posting here would get the problem solved any faster... This forum is designed precisely for the purpose which we are using it.

...To the trolls complaining about other people complaining... their posts are even more useless than ours.

....should I start complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining? ...if you know better than us, find something more productive to do with your time maybe?

Nagilum
Premium Member
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

Nagilum to phippsju

Premium Member

to phippsju
said by phippsju:

Is this an omen of what we can expect in terms of connectivity, or is this an unusual anomaly?

I'm in Kitchener and have had TSI Cable Internet since June. I can only recall two outages in that time, the one yesterday and one several months ago where Rogers was increasing the channel bonding.